News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Curing Wheel Hop - final update - FIXED!

Started by 471_Magnum, December 16, 2006, 05:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Which pinion snubber did you try?  I have that threaded style on my car and I can leave it in there on the street as long as the car isn't loaded.

471_Magnum

Quote from: Ghoste on March 05, 2007, 05:24:49 AM
Which pinion snubber did you try?  I have that threaded style on my car....

That's the one I've got. Unloaded, there's maybe an inch of clearance. Not enough.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

471_Magnum

Another update....

Current set-up: Espo XHD springs, Rancho 9000's set at "6", ~4 degrees down on pinion angle, adjustable pinion snubber w/ 2.5" clearance.

Installing the 4 degree shims seems to have helped a bunch, but it's noisy as hell now. It did buy me clearance for the adjustable snubber.

I did a little testing over in the industrial park. I could feel the snubber pounding the floor on the 1-2 shift, but no hop. I would probably tighten up that clearance at the track.

Track opened this past weekend for TnT, but I was unable to make it over there. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to make a few passes and see what kind of 60 ft times I can post.

That being said, I do not like running on the street with this much pinion angle. The whine will make me nuts, and the long term impact on the u-joint scares me.

I'm going to start saving my pennies for a Slide-A-Link. In the mean time, I might fab up some spring clamps.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

firefighter3931

Well, that's an improvement. The clamps might do the trick and keep the front segment from wrapping up....i would try that and see what happens. If it works you could try reducing the pinion angle to see how it responds. Suspension tuning can be a pain in the azz ! My guess is that the front segment isn't stiff enough if you're hitting the floor with that much snubber clearance. Fwiw, most guys running a real stiff SS type spring don't even need a snubber.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Maybe you're going to need the SS springs?

471_Magnum

Haven't done anything with the car lately. Crappy weather has kept the car in the garage. Track has been closed due to weather all but one weekend so far this spring.

I did pull out the shims altogether (much quieter now, thank you), and reinstalled the stock snubber (anybody want to buy a slightly used adjustable?). I was going to fabricate a spacer for the stock snubber and play with clamping the leafs, but...

I scored a slightly used Slide-A-Link off Ebay.  ;D  It will be a couple of weeks before I recieve it and have time to bolt it in.

I sold my old XHD springs to a buddy, but have yet to install them. Since the bushings are shot in those, but they are in otherwise good shape, I think I'm going to swap him for my new ESPO springs. Then I'll install the solid bushing in my old ones and use them with the Slide-A-Link.

471_Magnum

Slide-A-Link arrived today. :)

Right away I noticed one small problem. I plan to use my old factory XHD springs. They have the smaller OD front bushing which has to be replaced with a solid aluminum bushing. Unfortunately, the Slide-A-Link comes with a larger OD front bushing to fit the LoPo springs (or my ESPO springs).

I guess when I bring the XHD springs to the machine shop to have the bushings pressed in, I'll just have them turn the diameter down on the supplied aluminum bushing to fit.

Working some long hours this week, but hopefully I'll find the time to get this installed by the weekend.

BrianShaughnessy

Cool...     Mancini sells the 1.5" bushings IIRC.

I had to get caltrac to send me the 1.5" bushings back when I got them - they sent me the 2" on the first try.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

471_Magnum

Since I bought the set-up second hand, I really can't lean on CE to send me new bushing anyway.

Machine shop will have them ready Friday, so I've got a weekend project.

I'm just wondering how well the bars will work with the XHD springs. I've heard the bars work best with softer springs. Since I'm not looking for maximum hook (due to my clutch and 8.75), I doubt it will hurt me. Worst case, I can remove some leaves, or I've got a old set of Lo-Po springs.

BTW, congrats on getting into the latest issue of Mopar Action.

471_Magnum

SANTA MARIA!!!!!! I'm going to need a neck brace.

Finally got the slide-a-link installed. Ran into a few snags in the process, but after a couple of late nights in the garage, it's in.

In addition to the aforementioned spring bushing issue, the spring-eye sleeve was the wrong size and the front link bracket interfered with the spring hanger.

The sleeve I had bored out and work. No big deal. The spring hanger required a bunch of grinding. :smash:

Anyway, I set it up for the street with some slack in the slider. Went for a test drive. Still spun a little on launch with cold tires, but no hop. The big pay off was when I grabbed second gear. Just a little tire chirp and some serious acceleration. No hop.

I did several 5800 rpm upshift with the same results... just a chirp and a thump (the link hitting). I started to smell clutch after that... SOOOO we know what the next project is going to be...   ::)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Good news Jim!  Any pics of the install?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

471_Magnum

I actually had the opportunity to go to the track today and make a couple of passes. The Viper Truck Club had the track rented and invited some Mopar guys to come out and play with them.

My best was a 8.34 @ 87 mph with a 1.9 60 ft. A little spin on that run with NO WHEEL HOP.

I was by no means trying to set the world on fire. With Power Tour only 4 weeks away, last thing I wanted to do was break something.

Track prep was minimal and temps were in the mid-80s. Definitely not the best conditions. I ran 18 psi in the Nitto drags and only about 1/2 turn of pre-load on the bars. I made no adjustments. Next time I'll drop to 15 psi and go with more pre-load.

471_Magnum

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on April 29, 2007, 05:21:44 AM
Good news Jim! Any pics of the install?

Ghoste

Drag radials are beginning to look a little worn there James old buddy.  :D

Bandit72

would that slide a link work with a spring relocation kit installed?
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

471_Magnum

Quote from: Bandit72 on June 11, 2007, 01:59:42 PM
would that slide a link work with a spring relocation kit installed?

Don't see why it wouldn't