News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Daytona chin spoiler thread

Started by hemigeno, January 16, 2008, 06:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

That's interesting to know, John!  Chalk another one up... :scratchchin:

I know you had some pictures of that car from when it was new - do any of them show the spoiler?

hemigeno

Quote from: moparstuart on January 22, 2008, 10:25:35 AM
are daytona and superbird air deflectors the same ? 

I looked up in the books and the same 3412616 part number is used for both the Daytona and 'Bird.  I would assume that the same characteristics found on original Daytona spoilers would also be found on 'Bird spoilers, but that assumes that the same manufacturer was used and that they also used the same manufacturing techniques (which they probably did).

69_500

That would be interesting to see John's car new with a black spoiler, on a Yellow car. That would definatley be noticeable.

I tried looking for some old photo's of Daytona's today, and came up with photo's of 2 different Daytona's with black chin spoilers. One is a W1 white car, with a black tail stripe, the other appears to be a Y4 gold car with a black tail stripe. Both cars have the black chin spoiler, and the gold car also has black painted fender scoops like your car Gene, and Jim's green car. I'll see about scaning in these pictures and posting them for you to see.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

johntpr

All my pictures show the car when it was still yellow from the side..no shots of front spoiler unfortunately.  In truth, I painted it orange last year to match the rest of the car until it goes back to yellow. I stripped it to bare aluminum, and there was only black paint to be found though

UFO

Quote from: hemigeno on January 22, 2008, 10:22:03 AM
Quote from: FJMG on January 22, 2008, 09:51:18 AM
    Hard to tell the chin spoiler color of this black rump car, a little to much "shine" to be black though?

Yep, that was probably a body-color spoiler.  Wasn't there a video of that cool magazine test car somewhere?  Did it ever show the front nose of the car clear enough to see if it was black?

It appears that the vast majority of cars did have a body-color spoiler, just like several other details that "most" cars have.  However, I am still leaning towards a few exceptions to the rule.
I would say body color.
Here's another picture of my car from 1980, still wearing the black spoiler.

FJMG

Geez UFO took ya long enough! I thought I was going to have to PM you to do a screen capture. Excellent capture though, looks like it is body color, thank you.

UFO

Quote from: FJMG on January 22, 2008, 10:45:38 PM
Geez UFO took ya long enough! I thought I was going to have to PM you to do a screen capture. Excellent capture though, looks like it is body color, thank you.

Your welcome , but this only applies to that car.
There has to be a document for creative to follow.A auto company is not going to sub-contract anything without having a say on what gets done to their cars.

69_500

Here are two more cars that have painted chin spoilers. The photo of the white car was taken in 1981, the Gold car sometime n 1984.

nascarxx29

This magazine shows a body color spoiler.But I do recall from owning and seeing original superbirds .The valance would be in black or body color
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701