News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

110mpg 400hp car (video)

Started by tick68charger, July 16, 2008, 04:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tick68charger

hope this is not a repost. It's been awhile since i've been to the site.

100 MPG Muscle Car!

tick68charger

I hope his design doesn't get berried. maybe the big three will do something with his design.

1BAD68

110 mpg  :o
0-60 in 3 sec.   :o :o

I find that very hard to believe

G-man

110 miles per gallon... and here im getting told I cant get 550 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels for 20mpg.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think that guys been getting Anal last 40 years.  :slap:

mally69

In my thoughts you need Cu. In and fuel or your not gonna have power. I find it very hard to beleive and won't be convinced other wise until I see it happen in person.  :Twocents:

dodgecharger-fan

0-60 in 3 sec!!!

D'ya think he was caught off guard by the question and just tossed out an answer?

That's Bugatti Vehron territory, for crying out loud!!

Hemidoug

Probably have to push it for the first 100 miles....it is a Ford after all......
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

ViperRedCharger

HEHEHE Hemidog that was funny.

tick68charger

ya and he has been tweeking it for years. what made him stop at 100mpg?  what about the comment at the end to get up to 500mpg someday. :smilielol:

Rolling_Thunder

i believe the news article i saw was the car gets approx 80mpg  -  he is shooting for 100mpg unless he got there already,....        he did alot to improve the efficiency of the engine itself...    he also stated alot of electronics were involved if i remeber correctly...       Think MDS, DIS, mappable fuel curves, mappable timing curves, and such...       
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Finn

Quote from: tick68charger on July 16, 2008, 09:24:08 PM
ya and he has been tweeking it for years. what made him stop at 100mpg?  what about the comment at the end to get up to 500mpg someday. :smilielol:

With 500 mpg he'd probably have the 0-60 down to 1.5 seconds.  :icon_smile_tongue:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Mike DC

I'm not convinced that this guy is all he's cracked up to be yet, but I do agree there's stil a ton of efficiency left in the internal combusion process to tap into.

We make 300 hp cars because we want to be capable of 300 hp for a tiny fraction of the time it runs. 

Once you get a car/truck up to highway speed, it takes something like barely 20-25 hp to keep it there.  Right now we're still making at least 3 times that much any time the engine is running at all. 

There's room for tons of improvement if we can widen the spread between the high & low output ranges on motors.

Kevin68N71

BS.  I can't show you, I'm waiting for patents.  Yet he has worked on it for 10 years.  He could have gotten the patents for the main technology and then refined them before release.  What does he do, run it down a long hill coming out of the mountains with his engine off to get the 100 mpg average?

Then when asked what it will do "off the line" he just seem to pick an arbitrary number...um 3 seconds!

This is like the BS with electric cars I keep hearing about.  Oh they'll do 0-60 in 5 seconds, go 200 miles, and you can charge them in 5 minutes!  Yeah, show me the math how you can get that kind of power out of 120v for 5 minutes.  I'll buy an electric car now.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Mike DC

People talk about the kinds of "modern Manhattan Projects" that we need to solve the energy issues.

For my money, we should quit trying to find another type of fuel/propulsion, and start putting that kind of international effort into electric power storage methods.  Battery tech.  The power we need is being generated hundreds of times over, most of it just gets wasted in one way or another.   

Steve P.

I think that most of the things we now take for granted came from someone's crazy thought. FLY.. ROCKET TO THE MOON..  TALK THROUGH A WIRE. RECORD VOICE. THE WHEEL. COMPUTERS. CARS. LIGHT FROM A PIECE OF GLASS AND A WIRE. AIR CONDITIONING. REFRIGERATION. TV.

The list could go for many pages. My point is that if we do NOT try new things and work them out we end up just where we are..

How many of us are ready to go back to living in a cave??

I say, try it all and shoot for the moon and beyond.... 

By the way, how many people KNOW that the efficiency of a combustion engine is only in the 20% range??

One more thing. Years ago my grandfather was into radio controlled cars and planes. He had a car that was about 28 or so inches long that ran off batteries. At a collage in Brockport, NY he ran a fastest speed of 89 MPH across the parking lot. It wasn't all too big and he never got a chance to see what it would top out at but it was more than 15 MPH faster than everyone else. When you take into consideration that he built that car at least 30 years ago and was using THEN modern technology, what do you suppose he could build now?
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Brock Samson

Quote from: tick68charger on July 16, 2008, 04:24:25 PM
I hope his design doesn't get berried. maybe the big three will do something with his design.

the "big Three"?..
well Toyota is gonna put solor panels on the Prius next yr...

Kevin68N71

QuoteBy the way, how many people KNOW that the efficiency of a combustion engine is only in the 20% range??

Well much of that inefficiency is heat.  I suppose one could capture that heat, heat up a canister of water, drive a supplementary steam turbine....oh never mind..... :laugh:

I don't mean to be overly dismissive, but at 47 and having magazine subscriptions and a serious curiosity and love of cars for 40 years, I have heard these things over and over and over and over and over again.  Kind of like the blimps the size of Manhattan on the front of Popular Mechanics.  After a while, it's oh, yeah, I remember this from 20 years ago.  Samples?

These products comes and goes like miracle cleaners...everyone figures it out that it's bogus, so it goes away, only to be brought back in a few years to scam new people.  A good example is the "wind tunnel" product, of various names, that you are supposed to stick in your intake and through "vector air pressure" you get 20-50% better mileage.

For the past 40 years---I have Car and Driver articles from 1963! that show a company converting Karmann Ghias to electric.  (Actually, electric cars were with us from almost the beginning of cars, but the point is, this type of conversion was always in support of the "we're running out of oil"! scares).  How many years have we heard of cars that can go a zillion miles at 100mph with hardly any charge?  Yet when, or if, anyone tests it, it's like a 40 mile range---without air or your stereo on!  And it takes all night to charge.

How many times have I heard you can be "entirely off the grid" by having solar in your house, charging your electric car, and NEVER using any gas?  If this was practical, and not just possible on the sunniest days with a lot of hassle, why isn't just about anyone with a house doing it?  Why? Because it will cost you about $100,000, with gas at $4 a gallon will get you 500,000 miles of driving, or a return on investment after 25 years.  And during that time, you're stuck with limited range, higher electricity bills, and a battery disposal nightmare.  But it works, right?  Why aren't all the millionaire hobbyists at least doing this?

How about the grease oil car?  You know the deal.  Collect filthy grease oil from the restaurants and donut shops around your town.  Fabricate a filtering machine in your garage to separate the stringy fat and cigarette butts from the oil.  Buy an old diesel car and convert it, and run it on this slop.  Then figure a way to dispose of the garbage you filtered out of it.  Then drive your diesel smelling like french fries.  Then look in shock as the restaurant owners get wise and start to charge you for the oil because too many guys are asking for it, and they figure it's worth charging you.  Oh, and you thought there was an unlimited supply of dirty fry oil!  Wonder why you haven't seen this "amazing breakthrough" on TV anymore?

Want to know the real shocker?  Watch what happens if the fuel bubble really does burst.  I am not saying it will, and who knows, gas may stay at $4 a gallon even if we do drill.  However, let's say it drops back down into the $2 range.

The whole Hybrid/Chevy Volt/"I get 100mpg" world goes away and people go back to SUVs.  Which would be hilarious to watch.

QuoteThe list could go for many pages. My point is that if we do NOT try new things and work them out we end up just where we are..

I have no problem with keeping an open mind.  Just show me the tests.  Show me something works.  I would have wondered about heavier than air flight too, taking into account general knowledge at the time.  But when you SAW something fly, then you can believe it.

Show me the electric car that gives reasonable performance, has a real range, I can have my air on in hot inland CA, and charges up in a few minutes for pennies--and I'll buy it.  We all hear it is out there, but the excuse "the government won't let it happen".  More BS.  Show the technology and let us test your sample...hell, keep the hood closed even, and I will believe it.   Until then, it's just more hot air.

Kevin68N71

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 18, 2008, 11:29:44 AM
Quote from: tick68charger on July 16, 2008, 04:24:25 PM

the "big Three"?..
well Toyota is gonna put solor panels on the Prius next yr...

Really?  That would actually make it look better.  Of course, throwing up on it would make it look better.

Steve P.

Kevin, turn on the science channel some time. People DO live for next to nothing using natural resources and at least once a day I smell french fries on the open road.
There is a large club of people here in Tampa Bay that practice what they preach with burning grease. The big problem with it is now the people that USE TO charge to pick up the spent fryer grease are PAYING for it. Those companies have been recycling it for years and are now losing too much business. Also the local govt. has been raising hell with them as they are not paying any excise tax if not buying their fuel at a station. Most of the people around here have removed their GREEN stickers...

Next time you are on your cell phone or pushing buttons on that THING in front of you right now, consider that without someone taking a stab at a crazy idea you would have neither. Hell, some few hundred years ago a small group of people got together and worked on an idea. Next thing you know there was a place called the UNITED STATES were people could live in FREEDOM.

:Twocents:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

RallyeMike

CNN reported it. It must be true.

:icon_smile_blackeye:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Kevin68N71

Quote from: Steve P. on July 18, 2008, 01:43:00 PM
Kevin, turn on the science channel some time. People DO live for next to nothing using natural resources and at least once a day I smell french fries on the open road.
There is a large club of people here in Tampa Bay that practice what they preach with burning grease. The big problem with it is now the people that USE TO charge to pick up the spent fryer grease are PAYING for it. Those companies have been recycling it for years and are now losing too much business. Also the local govt. has been raising hell with them as they are not paying any excise tax if not buying their fuel at a station. Most of the people around here have removed their GREEN stickers...

Next time you are on your cell phone or pushing buttons on that THING in front of you right now, consider that without someone taking a stab at a crazy idea you would have neither. Hell, some few hundred years ago a small group of people got together and worked on an idea. Next thing you know there was a place called the UNITED STATES were people could live in FREEDOM.

:Twocents:

My only point is that we have been hearing about these things as cure-alls for years.  These are not new inventions on the level of the internet, or heavier than air flight, or the founding of the country. Many of these things are not new technologies at all. (I could send you the data on the Briggs and Stratten Hybrid from 1975, but never mind that now).  Many of these things are bogus, and MANY of them are pure scams. Many of them have some level of functionality, but are not anywhere near practical. I've named some.

I have no problem with people trying different things, and inventing things. Go for it.  Just don't tell me they do what they cannot--like the "water engine" which ran on "pure water", and whose inventor "died under mysterious circumstances and all his plans were stolen".  I could go on an on.  Or the Prius that could get twice the mileage that the people who bought them found they were getting.

I watch the science channels all the time, but unlike many people, I dig deeper into stories.  Do your research, you'll find there's not enough "restaurant grease" to run anything more than a niche number of people running their diesels.  And you yourself stated it's no longer free. Why should it be if it has value?  And just because the grease was used once, does not mean that it was NOT produced using resources itself.  Where does that oil come from?  Corn is harvested by machines.  Transported and processed by equipment requiring fuel.  That oil did not just appear in the grease dumpster.  You started out your response about people using "natural resources".  Processed corn oil is no more natural than processed oil from the ground.

And sorry Steve, I don't agree with your analogy of the exaggeration of niche and bogus technologies to freedom.  I never said a word about people being free to to pursue whatever they want and try to sell it.   If you can build an electric car that really performs, I'll buy it.  Just don't lie to me about what it can do.

Freedom does not mean free to scam me.

Mike DC

We could get 100 mpg today if we'd accept some compromises on the vehicle. 

A 1940s Volkswagen Beetle is about as technologically developed as a lawnmower, and yet it gets gas mileage up there with the best hi-tech electric hybirds of today.  All it has to do is have 40hp, have no real climate control & no power accessories, and weigh under a ton. 

Look at our demands.  They're crazy: 

We basically insist on being able to drive a rolling living room, at 70 mph, with out even putting much muscle effort into the controls, that still can maneuver & stop nimbly . . .  all that, and we also demand to be able to run head-on into a blunt object and walk away without a scratch, being restrained by only one thin loose strap of nylon.

And the whole thing has to last long enough to go a couple of times around the earth before you have to open the hood with a wrench for the first time.  If it costs more in maintinence/repairs than about 1/4th of the original purchase price during its lifetime, we call it a piece of crap.  If it has to be retired before it's made enough miles to circle the planet at least 5-8 times on such little maintinence, we call it a piece of crap.

Oh yeah, and it also has to be affordable enough for every adult & high school kid to have their own. 

Steve P.

I'm not picking a fight here. i am saying that without people dreaming and working on those dreams we are all still cave men.

The used oil deal is helping people save a pile of money. It also helps you and I at the pump due to the number of people that ARE using it is that same amount of people not at the pump. It also helps as it is not oil from carbon. So they are not putting tons of crap in the air..

Every person or company out there is adding something to the mix. Sure, plenty of garbage is out there. I agree. My point is to stir any pot other than the one that allows people to look at a HALF FULL glass.

I'm not much on conspiracy theories. I do, however, believe that those in power get things done or get things squashed. For instance: The GM EV1. That was a GM car produced with up to date technology of the day. Many of the people that had them loved them. GM only put them on the market under a lease. No one could ever buy one. That may have had many reasons or only one. The end result was that GM took every one of them back and crushed them. (One left in a museum WITHOUT it's drive train). The fact is that those cars were cheaper to fuel up and drive than anything else then. The BIGGER fact is that the electric motors will last longer than any combustion engine out there with almost no maintenance. They could do everything an every day car can do except fuel back up in a matter of a few minutes. Not great for long distance, but fantastic for daily commute to and from work and the grocery store. The only reason I can think of for removing them from use and killing the program is that GM will have nothing to sell if nothing is broken. Then what??

We will need crude oil for as far as I can see into our future. It is used in just about everything in your home, office and hell, just about everything we touch all day long. This includes fabrics and plastics as well. This means that the cost of nearly everything will rise with the rise in oil costs. So why not bring down the use of oil? It will save us on everything else as well.

I damn sure don't have all the info or all the answers. I just believe we NEED to find other sources of fuels and put them to work. Wind and solar are an everyday occurrence. They are also FREE. Capturing it and storing it is costly, yes. But continuing as we are today is only going to make matters worse for everyone.

Again this is my  :Twocents:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Steve P.

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 18, 2008, 04:16:19 PM

We could get 100 mpg today if we'd accept some compromises on the vehicle. 

A 1940s Volkswagen Beetle is about as technologically developed as a lawnmower, and yet it gets gas mileage up there with the best hi-tech electric hybrids of today.  All it has to do is have 40hp, have no real climate control & no power accessories, and weigh under a ton. 

Look at our demands.  They're crazy: 

We basically insist on being able to drive a rolling living room, at 70 mph, with out even putting much muscle effort into the controls, that still can maneuver & stop nimbly . . .  all that, and we also demand to be able to run head-on into a blunt object and walk away without a scratch, being restrained by only one thin loose strap of nylon.

And the whole thing has to last long enough to go a couple of times around the earth before you have to open the hood with a wrench for the first time.  If it costs more in maintenance/repairs than about 1/4th of the original purchase price during its lifetime, we call it a piece of crap.  If it has to be retired before it's made enough miles to circle the planet at least 5-8 times on such little maintenance, we call it a piece of crap.

Oh yeah, and it also has to be affordable enough for every adult & high school kid to have their own. 

I agree, but you forgot to mention that they also MUST be able to climb extreme terrain without a scratch or spilling a drop of your Perrier or Starbucks double mocha cappuccino with a twist of whatever they charge 2 gallons of gas for.  ::)

Also, I bet they could figure out how to get 100 MPG and even do it making 60 HP...  :D  The fact is that with technology they have figured out how to better MPG. Problem is that we, (as a country), want more luxury and power and size. Now that we are paying the price for it we are again screaming for change. Yes, me too....  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida