News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Axle installation. Help!

Started by terrible one, May 06, 2008, 04:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Quote from: Musicman on May 12, 2008, 08:39:11 AM
Quote from: terrible one on May 12, 2008, 01:01:22 AM
While my old chunk isn't a 489 case, it definitely has those same big round spacers in it, and the 741 case shown in the thread uses the same block as the one I have, but has a lot smaller spacers in it (the ones Brian posted the Ebay link to), which helps my confusion a bit.

Like I said earlier...
Quote from: Musicman on May 09, 2008, 02:20:23 PM
These things vary a lot depending on the particular rear end and differential. In your case however, I believe you are looking for the 2 "button blocks" with the pin.

Get the right pieces and git-r-done  ;D

Haha oops!

Ah well, all squared away now. Ebay seller said he would try to get them out today, and in the meantime I'll pull the chunk back out and get the gasket surfaces cleaned back up and ready! :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

:2thumbs:  Glad you're getting it nailed down now.  :popcrn:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

terrible one

Haha yeah, about time huh?

A big thanks to you two. I really appreciate it.

. . . but I'm not out of the water yet!

terrible one

Well,

$30 and days later, I got the damn things.

Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have a roller again!

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

terrible one

Well I pulled everything back out, took the chunk out, put in the spacers without too much trouble, put it all back in and did the whole RTV thing, and by then I had gotten my u-bolts in and re-conditioned by shock mounts so I put everything back in and bolted it down, leaving me back where I was, with axles needing to go in.

Parts store had to order axle seals, one was close, another was far, close one came yesterday and I installed it as well as the drivers side axle, far one comes today and I'll HOPEFULLY put the passenger side axle in, fill it with oil, and have a roller by the end of the day.

Musicman

Of course this time your axle installation should be a breeze with all this new found knowledge and experience you have :2thumbs:

Keep us posted, and that keeps us happy  :cheers:

Mike

terrible one

Quote from: Musicman on May 22, 2008, 11:26:09 AM
Of course this time your axle installation should be a breeze with all this new found knowledge and experience you have :2thumbs:

Keep us posted, and that keeps us happy  :cheers:

Mike

You're really right. Now I know how it all works! And that's why my end play was so confusing. I guess I was right about it somewhat because without the thrust buttons the adjuster had to be screwed in WAY much and didn't look like any of the pictures, etc. but anyways it should be all good now.

Now about the seals. . . turns out what came today was the outers. I gave them Chrysler, C/R, and National part numbers this time and confirmed them, so we'll see at 8:00 tomorrow morning, and hopefully it'll all work out then.  :brickwall:

Post with pictures when I finish.

terrible one

Okay,

Axle seal went in fine.

And that's about it.

My damn thrust buttons fell loose or whatever and now one is laying in the case so it looks like I'll have to take the chunk out for the THIRD #)@(*$()@!()*@!#)(!@*()* TIME and get them back in, then do it all over again. I really feel like I can't do a damn thing on this car without it going wrong. I'm sick of this car right now.

Charger-Bodie

Jackson,

heres a tip for ya, Do you have a soldering gun?

If so , when you get it back out , put the buttons back in , cut a piece of electrical wire the right gauge and length and solder both ends . this will keep them jerks in place .

Chatt69chgr

How about a dab of heavy grease to temporarily hold them during assembly.

terrible one

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on May 23, 2008, 07:48:53 PM
How about a dab of heavy grease to temporarily hold them during assembly.

That's what I did! Haha.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have a soldering gun. That's what I'll do. I hate that the case is all bolted in and everything, now I have to drop the chunk out of there, clean the surfaces all up, re-do my RTV, and somehow get it up there and lined up on the studs as well as hold it in place long enough to get a bolt on.  :brickwall:

Perhaps I'll do it tomorrow morning.

tecmopar

Before you pull it all apart again and being that you have the one side in I would try this, I have done it 2 times over the years. Get a long magnet to get it out and then using 2 long wooden dowel rods you can put one in the hole of the button or using a combination of dowels and magnet, slide it in and then hold it in place with the other one as you remove the first. It takes a bit of patience and a third hand to hold a light for you but as I said , I have done it before. If you don't have a long magnet you can tape one to the end of one of the dowels, good luck.

Musicman

What happened to the locking pin that holds the 2 pieces together?

terrible one

Thanks tecmopar, I've got plenty of dowels at the house and I'll try this, just have to grab a magnet to put at the end.

Musicman,

You mean the nail looking thing? It's in there, but it sure as hell didn't lock for me! I played with them when I got them in the mail and that was just the case. No locking or anything.

terrible one

Oh yeah, I got it . . . a long time ago. And the car is on the ground. No leaks either (so far)  :2thumbs:

mikepmcs

This thread just saved my a$$.

I am out in the garage right now because my coronet has sprung leaks, over the winter, like the water show at "The Bellagio" in Vegas.

Pulled the brakes apart, replaced wheel cylinders, pulled the axles enough to get the rear out.  Proceeded to then clean up what appears to be 172 gallons of gear oil due to the rear breaking loose prior to me getting a pan under there. After I got out of jail for EPA violations, I then proceeded to replace the pinion seal.  Got it off ebay for $12, fit like a dream.  Little nervous removing the other one but once I saw it was made in mexico I tapped it a few times and it jumped right out(get it). 
Went ahead and used a spare truck wheel I had laying around to hammer the pinion seal in(those things are pretty big) and put that back together along with the yoke and pinion snubber. In the midst of all this, the pig kind of rolled off the jack and onto the ground.  As I chased it down the driveway like a NASCAR tire changer about to get penalized I noticed a little t shaped cylinder thing near the back of the car.
I immediately remembered this thread and came back here to realize that the last person that put this in only put one thrust spacer in there as I cannot locate the other one and the pin.  I'm kind of at a stand still right now and I'll try to get one out of the 3.91 sg clutch set I have.  But I just had to come on here and thank you guys.  Priceless info on this thread and on this site.   :cheers: :cheers:
Ok, back to my hole.
Oh yeah after I get this back together, than I get to do an unplanned tranny fluid change due to that geyser going on up front.
Mike out!
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

So i'm guessing those thrust buttons just kind of float in the middle there???
They definitely don't bottom out with both in there, that's for sure.

My 3.91 had one thrust spacer as well. :lol:

No pin, just grease holding them in there.  With the play in there, I bet I have to back that end play adjustment way off/in to get the axles to go in??

ok, back at it.  Rear ends in, pain on your backside, let me tell you. 
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

terrible one

Man, don't you love it when you find just what you were looking for in an old thread? I love all of the information here! Congrats on the diagnosis!  :P

mikepmcs

Grease held the spacers in there for me.  Axles slipped right in with no issues and everything lined up.  Adjusted the end play for just a very slight movement.  I must have tightened and backed that thing off 15 times.  OCD is a bad thing sometimes. LOL

Filled er up with Mopar heavyweight and some friction reducer. Didn't get to the tranny yet cause it got late and one of the dang air shocks let go.  Unplanned expense today but oh well.  Anyone want to buy a 67 Coronet R/T? ;D

ugly2u

I too am at this stage with my Hot Rod!

I am very happy to have read this before I get into the axle this week.

Update: the axles went in, no problems...do you put gasket sealer on the black metal gasket?
Thanks!

69rtse4spd

Also getting ready to put axles in the DANA, after getting 3.73 put in. One more day & 11 weeks of vacation, :2thumbs:, so should have time to get the DANA in & 6-pack on. Have to see how it goes, great info here. Thanks to all.

oldkimmer

Quote from: 1hot68 on May 23, 2008, 02:26:21 PM
Jackson,

If so , when you get it back out , put the buttons back in , cut a piece of electrical wire the right gauge and length and solder both ends . this will keep them jerks in place .
........................................................................Use a roll pin just as the factory did............kim........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: oldkimmer on May 03, 2009, 10:03:01 AM
Quote from: 1hot68 on May 23, 2008, 02:26:21 PM
Jackson,

........................................................................Use a roll pin just as the factory did............kim........

The ones Ive seen didnt have a roll pin...................................They had a pin similar to a cotter pin....................................The wire thing just plain works better.IMO..............Brian...................

PS what is with all the periods?

Green71R/T

Does anybody have the part # for those thrust buttons?