News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

On the topic of cheap fuel injection

Started by CFMopar, November 17, 2005, 06:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden73

Don't forget to check out http://www.force-efi.com/

They do efi conversions starting at $3250... you even get to pick your own ECU so you can have one to suit your needs

Troy

Quote from: d72hemi on January 06, 2006, 02:59:30 AM
Rolling Thunder,

Do you know what type/year/engine of car/truck/SUV needed to salvage to make it work? I assume that you don't remember the site that you seen this on? Thank you, I love to go to junk yards to get what I need/want!

Ian
The guy who modified the Ford system posts on Moparts and on Cuda-Challenger.com. His username is 1974Cuda360 on both. Here are some threads:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2175896&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1930675&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=7247.0

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

d72hemi

Rolling_Thunder

well the guy originally posted some of the generic info somewhere but then decided to take it down and start making them himself...     he started a forum but hasnt done anything with it....        www.efimopar.com

Lucky for my i printed the entire thread with all the info he posted before it was taken down....      :yesnod:   I'll post most of it tomarrow
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

doctorpimp

'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Troy

Steve P.

Quote from: doctorpimp on January 05, 2006, 05:38:05 AM
400 Stroker with Momar EFI and TEC3 dist-less ignition:

Wow,,,, That's tooooo perdy!!! ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Not that it matters to this thread really, but does anyone know what kind of vehicle that is in?  I'm just curious because of where the coil pack and wiper motor are mounted.

CFMopar

how would it work without the distributor?
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Troy

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on January 07, 2006, 05:23:15 PM
how would it work without the distributor?

Better question: Why would you need a distributor? :D

Troy

Ghoste

It's a coil pack.  The computer determines which coil needs to fire.

CFMopar

Ghoste

It's a great setup because it's also determining timing and the advance curve and tailoring it to the fuel delivery.
I'm still stuck in the old school though and as many here can tell you, I don't have a professor's grasp of that either.
It's all fun though.

doctorpimp

Quote from: Ghoste on January 07, 2006, 04:30:23 PM
Not that it matters to this thread really, but does anyone know what kind of vehicle that is in?  I'm just curious because of where the coil pack and wiper motor are mounted.
It looks like a Pick-up to me.  The high hood and all.

Ghoste

Okay, my next question would regarding the plug over the distributor hole.  It looks to be more involved than a simple plug for the hole.  Why?

doctorpimp

Quote from: Ghoste on January 09, 2006, 05:08:58 AM
Okay, my next question would regarding the plug over the distributor hole.  It looks to be more involved than a simple plug for the hole.  Why?
It's just a plug, to take the place of the distr.  On B engines the oil pump is driven by the cam, a gear on a shaft turns the pump.

Ghoste

Looks like a lot of extra work went into it.

CFMopar

Looks like all he did was cut up a distributor and put a piece of metal over it then bolted it down....

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on January 09, 2006, 11:46:40 PM
Looks like all he did was cut up a distributor and put a piece of metal over it then bolted it down....

well something has to protrude down to keep the oil pump drive from lifting out of the cam doesnt it ?

doctorpimp

It'll be somthing like this:

That one is for a Chebby.

I looked on Momar's site, but couldn't see any pics.  I'm sure they've got that figured.  It is a kit and I don't think they'll just have you cut a distributor.

Ghoste

Actually, the portion that had me most curious, was the top where it appears to be a seaparate cap held on by three Allen head screws.

doctorpimp

Quote from: Ghoste on January 10, 2006, 04:39:50 AM
Actually, the portion that had me most curious, was the top where it appears to be a seaparate cap held on by three Allen head screws.
OH, I see that now, sorry.  I'm not sure.  It could be a homemade plug...made from an old distributor :devil:

CFMopar

defiance

Obligatory; I see an EFI discussion, I gotta post :)

One thing I noted about that email was the "you supply the manifold" bit...  The manifold is a pretty notable exclusion, since the ONLY manufacturer I'm aware of making port injection manifolds for bb's is Edelbrock, and they adamantly informed me they would not sell them outside of their kit. 
So, not only must you add the price of a manifold on to that, you must also add the price of fab work.  If you can do it yourself, great; if not, for reference, a local shop here charged me around $300 for bungs and fabrication.  Might be steep, might not, who knows.

Anyway, I've seen nothing to contradict that megasquirt is the absolute best value in powerful EFI.  My own setup now includes port injection, timing control (still uses the distributor, but the only disadvantage compared to distributorless is about 1-2 degrees of 'jitter'), wideband oxygen sensor (which allows you to set actual air/fuel ratio targets across your map/rpm grid and the system makes automatic real-time adjustments -- you set exactly how much it's allowed to correct, and how quickly it does it -- and it's GREAT for tuning, you can print out a graph showing *exactly* what your a/f was at particular times in your drive), and it could be reproduced for ... just a sec, calculating ... arount $1700, if you do all the work except for the manifold modifications yourself (as noted above). 

Of course, it requires a good bit of time installing, but it's well worth it...  The cost of a commercial ECU *alone* that matches the MS ecu is around $2000.  And megasquirt's capabilities are expanding rapidly (new firmwares being released on a regular basis) - For example, recent additions to the firmware capabilities are boost control, water injection control, 'simulated' traction control (limits engine accelleration speed to prevent slip - haven't tried this yet, it's still considered a 'beta' feature :P ), etc.etc...

www.megasquirt.info -- www.msefi.com

Hm.  wonder why somebody hasn't put together 'kits' with Megasquirts, pre-wired harnesses and components to go into other vehicles?   That'd be really interesting... .... ....

Rolling_Thunder

ive never even heard of mega squirt...    i'll have to look into them