News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock '68 383 exhaust upgrade??

Started by cougs, October 17, 2013, 05:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Quote from: cougs on October 22, 2013, 11:36:05 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 21, 2013, 10:17:05 AM
If I was picking a carb for that mild 383 build something along the lines of a 650cfm proform street series carb would get my vote. It is available with an electric choke as well.  :yesnod:

Ron

I'm torn between the Proform Street Series and the Edelbrock Thunder AVS carb. All I can tell is the Proform has mechanical secondaries and the AVS is vacuum actuated.  What do you like about the Proform carb?  Thanks!

I've found the Proform/Holley carbs easier to tune and are more responsive to throttle position changes.  :punkrocka: :drive:

I also like that the fuel bowls are on the ends of the main body which helps with vapor lock. A Carter/Eddy carb holds the fuel within the main body so more heat is transferred to the fuel.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cougs

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 24, 2013, 11:10:29 AM
Quote from: cougs on October 22, 2013, 11:36:05 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 21, 2013, 10:17:05 AM
If I was picking a carb for that mild 383 build something along the lines of a 650cfm proform street series carb would get my vote. It is available with an electric choke as well.  :yesnod:

Ron

I'm torn between the Proform Street Series and the Edelbrock Thunder AVS carb. All I can tell is the Proform has mechanical secondaries and the AVS is vacuum actuated.  What do you like about the Proform carb?  Thanks!

I've found the Proform/Holley carbs easier to tune and are more responsive to throttle position changes.  :punkrocka: :drive:

I also like that the fuel bowls are on the ends of the main body which helps with vapor lock. A Carter/Eddy carb holds the fuel within the main body so more heat is transferred to the fuel.  :P

Ron

Sweet!  Thanks Ron!
1968 Charger 383/727  Restored to Stock!

Mebsuta

cougs

Do proform carbs have the correct kick down linkage, etc?
1968 Charger 383/727  Restored to Stock!

fy469rtse

Ron's got me looking at the preforms too , cant make up my mind to go with one of there street carb's or go full tilt and the race item, which allows me to go upsize to the 950

firefighter3931

Quote from: cougs on October 24, 2013, 08:37:36 PM
Do proform carbs have the correct kick down linkage, etc?

Quick answer is no  ;)

When installing a Holley/Proform style carb you need to purchase the Holley mopar throttle linkage adapter pn 20-7 and install it to the throttle lever. The kd pin can be removed from your existing carb and transferred over to the 20-7 adapter & then the kd linkage will work.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69chargerboy

My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup