News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 se charger 1/4 window modification

Started by mikesbbody, May 25, 2006, 05:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

has anyone heard of anyone doing this...

72 se modification
1 (50%)
anyone done this?
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

mikesbbody

This is one for 71-72 charger owners has anyone out there heard of changing the 72 se charger's 1/4 window roofline so it "kicks back" like all other 71-72 models? the 72 se charger has a unique roofline but i have heard of guys doing this modification as (im told) the 72 se charger's had some sort of filler panel from the factory that can be removed revealing the regular 71-72 look. This modification requires a extension to the drip rail, the chrome trim (2 exterior pieces) and a interior sail panel. the window is the same and is not required to change at all. I realise some guys might not like the idea of this change i have heard from a guy who has done it Ive seen pics and you cant tell the car use to be a 72 se (he said it wasnt hard to do.) Also has anyone heard of converting 72 fenders and quarters into 71's (by removing the 72 sidemarker lights, and installing 71 sidmarker lights? the lights are not in the sam position from 71-72) Im not expecting alot of replies to this one as i know its not the norm thanks guys.    

Doc74

Basically it's a cut and weld job which is no trouble for a seasoned bodyman, extending chrome trim and customising interior panels is a different matter but again nothing you can't overcome, plenty shops who can do it for you if you don't want to tackle it yourself.
Sidemarkers are easy, weld the original shut, make a new on or weld in a piece of the one you want, same with the back, it's just metal so the sky's the limit.

I'm not going into the 'you can't do this to an original car' but I will say that whatever you change is always reversable should you want it.

RD

i know the 73/74 SE's have a fiberglass filler panel that needs to be removed and then you can see the normal window area.

I imagine its the same thing with the 72's (not necessarily fiberglass though), but I will definitely find out in a couple of weeks.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Nacho-RT74

yes, body is the same. you need just remove the window openin plug attached, what is not part of the body itself... glass is also the same.

QuoteThis modification requires a extension to the drip rail, the chrome trim (2 exterior pieces) and a interior sail panel. the window is the same and is not required to change at all.
so this info to modify is the right one.

if you will search the 71 sidemarkers it looks you want to make a R/T or Superbee clone :D ;) ( that is the only reason I find to start a clone from a 72SE what is also nice not to become just on a regular 71 ) Location of sidemarkers are basically the same, just bigger holes.

If so you will need also change tail lights ;) and Doors if you go for an R/T

For SE or R/T "perfect" clone you will need also 71 upper panels what even fit the same, are different design.

For an EVEN PERFECT ONE... Bumpers are sloted for jack stand on 72, not on 71, and hideaways grilles has more verticals separations on 72 than 71. Also seat covers are different.

If you won't go for a SB or R/T clone, IMHO I would keep the 72SE just like is ;)
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mikesbbody

thanks to everyone who has posted a reply on this subject, I didnt think too many people wouldknow what i was on about or maybe they thought it was a stupid idea.
Anyway here's the thing i am from new zealand as you can probably imagine, there are not too many 71-74 chargers and only 2 71 rt chargers (one is on a small island with very few good roads) the other is a 440 6 pack 4 speed car (radio delete, no power steering) and just 3 71 be's that i know of (and 2 of those are not road worthy at the moment) so, you get a idea of my situation i liked the 72 se when i got it (and still do) but you know the story...once you have something you want something else. The 72 se was not a low production car so i dont feel bad about making   changes and, my car is not (and never will be) numbers matching.
rd, your right about the filler panel but i dont know what its made of i know if i do this there will probably be small things i overlook (like the different bumpers from 71-72 72's not having the jack slots) but this may be the only way i may own a rt or super bee albeit a clone and no, id never try to pass it off as the real thing (nobody down here would know anyway...) i just think it could be fun, i wouldnt have to worry about "numbers matching" i could do what i like. Sure, if this was a regular 72 model it would be alot easier, and a piece of cake if it was a 71 model but this is what i have, so if i do the modification thats what i have to work with. btw i have heard of guys welding in 71 rt door inserts into regular doors and if done right, you cant tell they started out as regular doors thanks guys keep the posts coming mike.