News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 stroker og 440??

Started by Tarzan, December 20, 2007, 06:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarzan

Hi.

I`ve got a 383 block. Have always wanted a 440 but should I rather stroke the 383 block? Will the 383 make the same horsepowers as the 440?

What`s  the difference and how much will it cost to stroke the 383 compared to buying a 440 and stroke that??

Steve P.

Hi Tarzan. Welcome to the site. 

You have a good question there and it has been asked many times over the years. The best answer I can give you without using ten pages is to go with the 440.   I'm sure you have heard the saying, (there is no substitute for cubic inches). Well, it's true. In the grand scheme of things it is a cheaper, better build going with the 440.

If it's a numbers matching motor/car, I suggest putting the 383 under your bench for safe keeping. The day might come when you want to sell your car and having the matching motor will help out with bringing in bigger bacon.

If you want to really go to big torque you could stroke a 440 and build a killer.  Check out the PROVEN ENGINE COMBO'S area here on the site for more ideas.

It all boils down to what you want out of the car and how much money you want to spend.

Again, welcome to a great site...  :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Tarzan

Then I`ll go for the 440. Will use the 383 untill I have enough money to buy a new 440:)

Thanks for helping me out.

bull

Quote from: Steve P. on December 20, 2007, 11:02:07 AM
I'm sure you have heard the saying, (there is no substitute for cubic inches).

The more poetic version is, "there's no replacement for displacement." :2thumbs:

Steve P.

Some guys are just looking to keep things in order and are happy with what the factory put in the car. Any time someone opens a conversation with the word STROKER I figure they want just a tad more..  :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TUFCAT

Check out the PROVEN ENGINE COMBO'S area here on the site for more ideas.

Lot's of guys build 440's.  I have a 383......and the topic of proven engine combo's is a great tool for us as discussion .....I just looked fot it, but couldn't find it. Can you put in a link? Thanks.  TUFFY.

firefighter3931

Quote from: TUFCAT on December 22, 2007, 08:02:23 PM

Check out the PROVEN ENGINE COMBO'S area here on the site for more ideas.

Lot's of guys build 440's.  I have a 383......and the topic of proven engine combo's is a great tool for us as discussion .....I just looked fot it, but couldn't find it. Can you put in a link? Thanks.  TUFFY.

Tuffy, the proven engine combo sub-forum is part of the engine/transmission/rearend/exhaust forum....just look at the top of the page when you open up this forum.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TUFCAT

Nacho-RT74

stroke an engine wouldn't give you also longer stroke and larger displacement ? also as far I know quicker rev up

I say STROKE 383.

And don't keep a storaged engine laying around. Play with what you already have... why not ? just will keep crank, rods and pistons laying around

as I stated on an earlier topic... Mopar not only have 440s and Hemis like GREAT PERFORMANCE engines... lowers are GREAT too. I still haven't found somebody telling about a bad Mopar engine ( like other brands maybe )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NMike

a stroked motor doesn't rev quicker. in fact it rev's slower. the pistons have to travel farthur so they have to speed up alot more to spin the crank more.

why not buld a 440 stroker? 440source.com

Nacho-RT74

whooops, my bad... is true and logical, but then revs the same than RB block  being same lenght stroke now.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html