News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

a couple of questions for those 17' rim guys

Started by CB, December 03, 2009, 12:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

I am divided in two camps. I currently run 'oldschool' 235/275 15' TTD's. I dig the stance and the fatter rear.
But I also like the Chargers look with taller rims. So ...
What did you pull you over the line fitting 17'ers on your Charger?
Did you experiance positive improvement when it comes to handling?
Did you modify your suspension in any way?
Do you have a pic (prefer 2nd gen) of the 'new style' versus 'old style'?

Thanks for your input :cheers:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Nacho-RT74

I think the main improvement will be reduces the sidewalls movement and better traction transducer between rim and tire. Of course I have not experienced that
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

0X01B8

I went from 17s to 15s a couple years ago.  I don't miss them at all.  I got sick of feeling every imperfection in the road.  Handling has suffered a bit, but I don't miss that or really even notice it.  I've got fast ratio pitman and idler arms, a police steering box, Edelbrock shocks, Firm Feel front sway bar, and poly bushings here and there - I forget where. That's the extent of the suspension mods.

I tried to find 2 pics taken from about the same angle.  The front wheels are actually 16s, BTW.  The wheels are Centerline something or another.  I really like the look and wish I had gotten them in 15s.  Want the package?  I'll make you a deal -  ;)

defiance

I moved to 17s because I found the perfect storm of affordable, nice 17x10.5 wheels with the right offset and affordable 315 tires that would fit.  I'm pretty happy with how they look.

Mr.Woolery

Quote from: defiance on December 03, 2009, 05:47:03 PM
I moved to 17s because I found the perfect storm of affordable, nice 17x10.5 wheels with the right offset and affordable 315 tires that would fit.  I'm pretty happy with how they look.

If this is a 3rd Gen...POST UP PICS!  I'd like to know the backspace/offset info, too, if possible.
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

defiance

ok...

I don't remember all the specific details of wheels/tires anymore, but I'm pretty sure I posted them here. 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,51861.html
and
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13886.msg606678.html#msg606678 are the most likely threads.  I know the rims are 17 x 10.5 "bullit replica" rims made for mustang cobras (17x8 on the front), and that I needed a small spacer to get them right, as well as spring relocation kit.  The reloc kit I got from Dr Diff, and it was all bolt-on except the spring perches on the rear end. 

Mike DC

I'm surprised we don't see more 16" rims in the musclecar world.  It splits the difference nicely between the "new" and the "old" look.

If you want raw performance then it's pretty hard to beat 17x9" rims and 45-series tires.  Either smaller or bigger setups would probably lose a race to this size on our kinds of cars.

0X01B8

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 04, 2009, 03:47:31 AM

I'm surprised we don't see more 16" rims in the musclecar world.  It splits the difference nicely between the "new" and the "old" look.

If you want raw performance then it's pretty hard to beat 17x9" rims and 45-series tires.  Either smaller or bigger setups would probably lose a race to this size on our kinds of cars.

Before I moved to 15s I checked out the 16" tire selection and there wasn't much available.  It seemed like 16s are mainly truck tires.  Too bad because, like you said, 16s split the difference nicely.

DC_1

17s up front and 18s out back here. Still have my steelies for special ocassions

CB

Very nice! I think that going +17'/low profile you define more the sleek lines of the Charger, don't you think?
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Rolling_Thunder

Making up my mind on the topic is easy - I am going with 18" wheels because that will be the minimum size needed to clear my brake kit.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

DC_1

Quite different looks