News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting Magnum 500s

Started by 5hunert, April 28, 2013, 11:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5hunert

I need to freshen up a set of 1969 magnum 500's.  I'll probably use poof cans for the black - What level of flatness is correct?  Semi-flat?

Also, I seem to remember a few years back seeing precut masking kits for Magnum 500s; does anyone know where to get them?

ODZKing

I use "Trim Paint".  It is sort of a semi-gloss and matches perfectly.
It also has primer in it so it sticks to almost anything.
As far as the masking kit ... ha!  That is my wife   :rofl:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: 5hunert on April 28, 2013, 11:18:54 AM
Also, I seem to remember a few years back seeing precut masking kits for Magnum 500s; does anyone know where to get them?
YearOne has them.
Quote from: ODZKing on April 28, 2013, 11:24:08 AM
Mine too, they must have took the same training.  :smilielol: :smilielol:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

5hunert

Quote from: ODZKing on April 28, 2013, 11:24:08 AM
I use "Trim Paint".  It is sort of a semi-gloss and matches perfectly.
It also has primer in it so it sticks to almost anything.

Thanks!

Are you referring to Rust-Oleum Trim and Bumper Paint?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rll-251574/media/images

resq302

Those masking kits they make for the Magnum 500s are absolute trash!  They did not fit anywhere close to the curves that they were supposed to.  I ended up pulling them off and tossing them into the garbage and ended up using the blue painters tape and then went around it with an exacto knife!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Fred

Quote from: resq302 on April 29, 2013, 09:37:56 PM
Those masking kits they make for the Magnum 500s are absolute trash!  They did not fit anywhere close to the curves that they were supposed to.  I ended up pulling them off and tossing them into the garbage and ended up using the blue painters tape and then went around it with an exacto knife!

Just goes to show what you can waist your money on.  Probably made in China.........nothing made over there fits, not even clothes.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

ODZKing

Exactly what Martha does.  She has the patience for it.  I even bought her the super thin masking tape to make her efforts a bit easier on the edges!!    :icon_smile_big:

resq302

Thats what I did with the satin chrome part where it meets the inside edge of the rim.  I first put down 1/4" vinyl automotive painters tape and then went over it with the blue Scotch brand painters tape.  The vinyl tape made it so much easier to go around corners with!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

5hunert

Thanks for the info about the quality of Year One's masking kit.  I'll skip that one!

resq302

It'll actually be cheaper if you just use the painters tape.   :2thumbs:  (and probably get a better job out of it!)
Brian