News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Evercoat Featherfill G2 - Sprayer tip size

Started by timmycharger, May 19, 2016, 11:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

Hoping some body guys can weigh in on this as we will be spraying very soon.  I realize that Evercoat's technical sheets recommend a tip size for the HVLP gun in the range of 1.7 to 2.2 but does anyone have any real world experience with this? I am looking at a 1.8 and 2.0 primer gun and not sure which one to go with.  Looking for any feedback. Thanks!  :cheers:

Ryan.C

I used featherfill thru a 1.4 HVLP last year and it worked out fine. I just had to move a little slower.

BTW I am by no means an expert painter, just passing along what I did and how it came out.  :Twocents: 
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

hemi-hampton

My Advice, get a 2.5 tip. Nothing smaller then 2.0. :Twocents: :Twocents: :shruggy: LEON.

Silver R/T

That is one thick material. You can put a penny on a panel and fill it in with Featherfill in couple of passes, it build up real thick.
Ive got one of these for thick primers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-HVLP-Gravity-Feed-SPRAY-GUN-w-REGULATOR-Metal-Flake-Auto-Paint-NEWPrimer-/272208310819?hash=item3f60e13223:g:JUkAAOSwm8VU0R2t&item=272208310819&vxp=mtr
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

timmycharger

Guys, thanks for the help and the link as well.  :cheers:

timmycharger

Just touching base on this topic again in case anyone in the future will use this product.

I was going to go for the 2.0 but I got a really good deal on a 1.8 tip gun from Summit so I figured I would give it a try.

I was very surprised to how nice the product sprayed and was happy with the finished product.  We used Acetone to reduce it slightly, varying from 5 to 10 percent from the first to second coat as recommended on the can.

The gun had to be disassembled and cleaned after every quart sprayed which was a pain but in my opinion not a choice. after the very last quart, it started sputtering a bit, we thought it was clogging but after final disassembly and cleaning, we saw that the o ring was all distorted and gummy, probably a result of the Acetone? Im going to replace it with a new one and don't plan on using Acetone anymore as I am done with the G2 anyway.   Maybe it was because we reduced it, but even after 2 coats, I didn't think it was all that much thicker than a High build primer, but it did a nice job of covering all of the filler work that was done.

Next step is to block it out now  :eek2:

Brock Lee

Perhaps lacquer thinner would have been a better reducer. It doesn't flash as fast as acetone, but isn't as aggressive either.

timmycharger

Yes, I have read some folks using laquer thinner to reduce it, but the can said to use Acetone ironically. I just may give that a try next time as it looks like I may need another coat.

Brock Lee

acetone and lacquer thinner are interchangeable. I like using acetone as it evaporates so quickly. Thinner takes a little longer, but the retarded cure time makes for a smoother coat.

hemi-hampton

Why Reduce it at all. Unless your 1.8 tip is to small to get it out? LEON.