News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 swap in 74 not fitting

Started by dkotter74, May 10, 2006, 06:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkotter74

I recently pulled the 318 out of my 74 charger for a rebuilt 440 originally comming out of a 68 new yorker.  Ive swapped drive trains, my radiator, oil pan (now rear sump), and engine mounts to find one interesting problem.  the engine will not fit.  the oil pan rests about 1/2 inch on the corner of the cross member not allowing it to drop the needed room to hook up the tranny.  any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I'm only 21 and have been working on this project for 3 or 4 years, Ive jumped quite a bit over my head learning as i go so i wouldn't be supprised if the problem is horribly common sense

Blown70

I thought you had to change the K frame on that year charger to do a swap?  Or you will get a custom oil pan

Tom

73-charger-383

i just put a 383 in my 73 that had a 318.  i switched the pan, and used original 73 400 motor mounts.  i had the same problem until i realized the driveshaft was now too long.........i've stilll have to shorten mine 4 inches, but after i pulled it out, the engine fell right in place.

73chargers4404

what kind of oil pan do you have ?

dkotter74

i believe its the stock oil pan specifically for the 74 charger 440 (the 68 was a middle sump)

ralley440

I put a 440 in my 73 had to use a center sump pan and get long motor mounts, and use a shorter drive shaft. unfortunatly i didn't chand the k frame and the engine tries to twist so it breaks the trans mount, strongly recommend changing k frame or you can order a kit from schumacher creative services that will make easier and fit right, here their website
www.engine-swaps.com good luck

dkotter74

thanks a ton.  that should work great, its too bad it ended up being this late to find this out, but i hope all goes well!

71440charger

i  just droped a 440 in my 71 which was a 318 car you ned special brackets that mount to the block and it will slide in like a glove and i am uesing a 727 tranny and did not have to change my drive shaft those brackets you can order not for sure where. but mine fit great . no need to change the k frame.
The Killer Cam

greatwn73

The 73-74 had a rubber isolated K frame and is different for small blocks and big blocks. When I ordered the conversion mounts from schumacher for my 73 I was told the only fitment problem might be the oil pan and in the instructions supplied it listed the part numbers and dimensions that would work. I don't have the paper handy but can post it on Friday. I do remember that the proper pan would have a dimple on the right front side of the centre sump.

Blown70

Quote from: 71440charger on May 10, 2006, 09:07:34 PM
i  just droped a 440 in my 71 which was a 318 car you ned special brackets that mount to the block and it will slide in like a glove and i am uesing a 727 tranny and did not have to change my drive shaft those brackets you can order not for sure where. but mine fit great . no need to change the k frame.

71's were different in the K then the 73-74

Tom

Nacho-RT74

:iagree:

as stated, up 72 was just enough changing engine mounts ( talking JUST about engine itself on K member )... of course you did need also to think on tranny housing, driveshaft length, exhaust pipes, radiator, T bars, sway bar and engine harness.

since 73 K mebers changed for /6, SB and BB-RB blocks so engine mounts AND K-member are also different, beside the rest.

the other option is use the schumacher kit.

Since 73 SB and BB T bars are the same ( stock ones ). Only sway bar is different
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71440charger

well thank god i got a 71 then it fit like a glove i wonder why they changed that
The Killer Cam

Blown70

Quote from: 71440charger on May 11, 2006, 01:25:34 PM
well thank god i got a 71 then it fit like a glove i wonder why they changed that

So people would have to spend more $$ to change motors :shruggy:

greatwn73

The isolated K frame was introduced to take some of the road harshness, customers in the 70's wanted a softer ride at the expense of handling.