News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gear Lever question

Started by 69ChargerRTSE, August 09, 2006, 06:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69ChargerRTSE

Sorry if this question is obvious. When I move the gear lever, it only locks when it's in park. I can move it freely between reverse and 2nd. My Dad claims that this is because there is no transmission. Is this because there is no transmission or is it because the steering column is screwed up? If it is the steering column can it be restored?

If it helps, this is a 69 Charger with power steering.
If God owned a car...It'd be a Charger.

TylerCharger69

Assuming  it's a column shift,  locking only in park  without a tranny is correct.  (hence, having to pull the gear selector toward you when taking it out of park.)

Plumcrazy

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 10, 2006, 07:27:43 AM
Assuming  it's a column shift,  locking only in park  without a tranny is correct.  (hence, having to pull the gear selector toward you when taking it out of park.)

:iagree: The locking mechanism is in the column not the transmission.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 10, 2006, 07:27:43 AM

Shouldn't also lock when you are downshifting ?, and after play between neutral and drive... shouldn't also need unlock to jump in to reverse ?

That's the way it works my floor shifter at least, with or without tranny.

I drove a 93 Buick Regal recently and also works in that way, or similar
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TylerCharger69

yes...but the lockouts that are on the column....(under hood)   are not hooked to anything.   Only the park lockout mechanism  is in the cockpit of the car  in the column  where the turn signal and all that are

69ChargerRTSE

So there is nothing wrong with my column shift. Thanks guys.
If God owned a car...It'd be a Charger.