News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

paint around gauges ?

Started by randy73, December 29, 2011, 09:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

Putting my dash back in and I noticed the paint around the gauges is looking pretty bad. So what is the best way to paint for someone with not the steadiest of hands?

Also, what type of paint do you use and what color?

Mine looks to be silver, so I was thinking of using modeler's silver paint.

Talking about the paint the beauty rings around the gauges.

Ghoste

The silver around the guages was actually a chrome like substance applied through a process called vacuum metalizing.  You could duplicate it with chrome model paint but to make it really nice it needs replating.

jaak

When I had my 73 and I freshened up the interior, I just used a paint pen I got at Wal-Mart in the crafts section. I can't remember the brand, but it had a tip at each end (one wide at one end, and a fine tip on the other). Like Ghoste said, it was plastic chrome from the factory, but I used a bright silver paint pen.

Jason

randy73

Ghoste

ODZKing

Did mine some months back after I had the gauges rebuilt. 
Testors chrome paint pen.  It "levels" out after you use it as to not show the brush/stroke marks.
It is not really chrome but close.  You can also use silver, about the same.
I did the bezel and the A/C panel and emblem.

Iron Chef

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but in looking at the dash, the fake woodgrain is almost black in some areas.  This seems to be a common problem with Gen 3 dashes.  Is this dirt?  Discoloration?  Is there a way to repair it?
Most of your life should be "off the record."

ODZKing

I have 3 bezels, (2 broken) and they all have those exact streaks like that.  Some say it is oil from peoples hands over the years.  I believe it is just the way they were made.

randy73

I used that Sharpie Silver paint pen and the results are great, I will post pics later. Though I was so eager to get it done, that I forgot to take before pics, oops.  :shruggy:

NHCharger

Quote from: Iron Chef on December 30, 2011, 12:36:25 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but in looking at the dash, the fake woodgrain is almost black in some areas.  This seems to be a common problem with Gen 3 dashes.  Is this dirt?  Discoloration?  Is there a way to repair it?

:ahum: :ahum: I have three rallye dashes, I don't recall seeing that discoloration on any of them. I will look tomorrow.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Chryco Psycho