News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Weldcutter or what?

Started by Belgium R/T -68, March 18, 2010, 02:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Time to start with the challenger. :icon_smile_big: First of all I never did any bodywork before but with the experience of the charger in mind I decided to give it a try.
I have checked some of the threads here concerning tools and found that I need a spotweld cutter. thought it was best of buying one locally since you never know
how many you need and ordering from the US takes a while. Went to the biggest supplier of professional tools for the industry and he sold me this one (pic), the only
kind they have. :scratchchin: Only 7 mm (just under 5/16) and only 2$. this one doesn't look like the ones I see you guys using and the ones summit and eastwood sell.
Did I ask for the wrong thing and in that case what's the drillbit I have? I actually tested it and with a lot of force on my batterymachine I could get 2 spotwelds done but for
a complete car? :shruggy:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

six-tee-nine

Per I have the same kind of spotweld drill....
I paid around 12 Euros for mine, however It is sharp as hell and does the trick quite well.
It is the trick to center in the right spot to cut the spotweld in one move. If you can't see the spotweld clearly then it can help to go over them with a wire weel brush....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: six-tee-nine on March 18, 2010, 02:18:13 PM
Per I have the same kind of spotweld drill....
I paid around 12 Euros for mine, however It is sharp as hell and does the trick quite well.
It is the trick to center in the right spot to cut the spotweld in one move. If you can't see the spotweld clearly then it can help to go over them with a wire weel brush....

Ok, but it seems a little bit to small. I think 9-10mm (3/8") would be better.

Per

ktneifert09

Order one on-line from Harbor Freight.  It looks more like a hole cutter (hollow in the middle) and works way better than what you were sold.  Mine cost me about $4. It's 4.99 at their website.  Here's the link. http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=spotweld+cutter 
Plans are useless; planning is indispensible.
Especially with an old car!

69*F5*SE

Blair spotweld cutters are what do it for me. I have the premium skip proof with replaceable 3/8" rotabroach cutter. Can be found on ebay too.

http://www.blairequipment.com/Spotweld_Cutters/Spotweld_Cutters.html

lexxman

That's what i used on my car they work great.

Patronus

NEVER EVER buy a cheap tool!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Hansson

Hej Per
I will use Biltemas artnr:19-149, 9,5mm in diameter, 70sek.

Henrik.
Sweden. Karlstad

lexxman

The only thing is you have to keep them straight or they break.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Hansson on March 19, 2010, 02:46:24 PM
Hej Per
I will use Biltemas artnr:19-149, 9,5mm in diameter, 70sek.

Henrik.

Tack Henrik, will go to Sweden next week so I will pay Biltema a visit. :2thumbs:

Per