News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any good websites showing Superbird clone builds

Started by jaak, February 12, 2012, 02:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaak

As the title says, wanting to do a little research on Superbird clones. My Charger is almost done, and thinking on my next 'project'. I have always wanted to do an A-body (been searching for a Duster), but I have always wanted a wing car, and know I will never be able to afford a real one. With A-body prices and parts availability I think I could build a nice Duster myself and with my income/budget could probably hit the road in a Duster in 2-3 years.

Now folks said I would never finish my R/T....it took my a while, and I funded the car through side work, flipping 2-3 used cars, buying parts here and there when having extra money, etc.  Took me 8 years or so to do, but I did it.

I'm not looking to do a date coded perfect exact replica, but a nice clone....if buying a nice built mid-late model 440 versus finding/building a correct date-coded 440, that's what I would do, just to give you an idea of what I have in mind.

I guess it depends on 2-3 year wait/build on a Duster vs. a possible 8-10 year wait/build a Bird clone. I always dreamed of a nice 69 R/T and now that dream is sitting in my shop...and I also have dreams of a wing car.

Just wanting ideas and opinions, might not even get it off the ground, guess it depends on what kind of car I find, I plan on enjoying the R/T, but I know I need something to build and keep me busy and goal oriented.

Thanks,
Jason

moparstuart

I would say this site is your best bet  tons of threads on clones and build,  many great theads on parts and venders
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

X2

I'm not aware of any site that details the cloning process, let alone plural.  There are a bunch of good guys here who have done it though and wouldbe happy to guide you along.

jaak

Yeah I know they are some killer threads here, been seachin them, just wondering if someone had there own site dedicated to one car, with a ton of pics to look at.

Thanks,
Jason

DonC1

I will document the entire S Bird build..shortly.

hotrod98

The easy part is deciding to build one. The hard part is deciding on how far to take the build and just how accurate you want it to be. More accurate equates to more dollars and time.
You will need to locate a front clip (hood and fenders) from a 70 Coronet before even moving onto the next step.
It will probably take you a year or more to round up everything that you need for the build. The hood is somewhat difficult to convert but everything else on a bird is fairly easy.
You will probably have to use a fiberglass wing. I highly recommend the Janek wing. They are top quality.
Gene Gregory has a nice steel nose.
Mike G. with Dayclona has top quality stuff and his parts are well worth the wait. He makes parts in batches and you will need to get on the list.
My best advice is to use as many steel parts as the budget will allow and try to locate a real glass back window. Even if you have to wait and save up the money you won't regret it. Many (most) of us have bought the less expensive parts only to buy better parts later in the build. I have a pile of the cheaper parts lying in the back of my shop. I've been waiting to find someone buiding a drag car and was going to offer them at a deep discount. I wouldn't want to sell them to someone building a real nice street car.
Are you going to do the build yourself or hire someone? I happen to know a guy...lol

Have fun.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

jaak

Thanks for the replies,
Like I said, its just a thought right now..... but I would love to be cruzin in a wingcar one day, even if it's a clone.
I'm gonna keep my eye out for a 70 RR that can be a good candidate.

Jason

moparstuart

Quote from: jaak on February 15, 2012, 06:08:19 PM
Thanks for the replies,
Like I said, its just a thought right now..... but I would love to be cruzin in a wingcar one day, even if it's a clone.

Jason
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: also sometimes a 1/2 started clone will come up for sales and thats the way to get the good deals

Hemi Runner

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 13, 2012, 03:16:21 PM

My best advice is to use as many steel parts as the budget will allow and try to locate a real glass back window. Even if you have to wait and save up the money you won't regret it. Many (most) of us have bought the less expensive parts only to buy better parts later in the build. I have a pile of the cheaper parts lying in the back of my shop. I've been waiting to find someone buiding a drag car and was going to offer them at a deep discount.

Uhhhh.... that'd be me!!!

jaak

Quote from: moparstuart on February 15, 2012, 10:24:08 PM
Quote from: jaak on February 15, 2012, 06:08:19 PM
Thanks for the replies,

Jason
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: also sometimes a 1/2 started clone will come up for sales and thats the way to get the good deals

Yeah I have run across some expired/already sold ads, that looked to be good deals (with a good project car and some of the 'wing car' parts). May wait for something like that to pop up.

Jason

DonC1

I sold my last 70 S Bird Black Ice replica to a fellow in Jersey about 2 years ago....was a new 440-4spd black on black ..steel plug and wing etc 70 RR...haven't heard of it since or if he finished it..needed minor interior finishing...white int...I could ask...

GULFGLENY

Cruzin in a wing car is awesome, I have people stop in traffic to look, like they kinda forget what they are doing!

moparstuart