News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

big block using small block k member help

Started by sgt72charger, July 27, 2013, 07:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgt72charger

ok so im not 100 percent so im asking

72 charger base.  i bought the car with no motor or tranny but was told it had a 318

so im at the point of installing my built 440 i just want to be certain of what ive read.

72 b body k member will work i just need to buy the schumacker conversion motor mounts ?
are there any other companies that sell these? :cheers:
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

John_Kunkel

You don't need "conversion" mounts, the V-8 K-member will accept any V-8 using the correct stock mounts and brackets for the particular engine.

The main difference between the 318 K-member and the 440 K-member is the 440 usually had a skid plate to protect the bottom of the pan...the skid plates are available for welding onto the 318 K-member.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

The 1970-72 B body K members were the following:
1)  Slant six
2)  V8 engines including 318, 383, 400 and 440
3)  426 HEMI.
My 1970 Charger was a 318 car. When I switched to a 440,  All I did was order HD Big Block replacement mounts from Schumacher. They bolted to the engine and K member just like factory stock.

flyinlow

73 and later isolated k frame cars had BB k frames and SB k frames. 72 and earlier where the same ,like John said.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: flyinlow on July 29, 2013, 05:15:25 AM
73 and later isolated k frame cars had BB k frames and SB k frames. 72 and earlier where the same ,like John said.

:iagree:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

sgt72charger

when i said conversion i mean from small block mounts to big block i bought these

B,C,E-Body V8 to B/RB Swap or Replacement Kit

'66-72 B, '70-74 E, '66-73 C-Body B/RB. Big Block B & E-Body cars are expensive - so why not build your own by converting your small block to the B/RB? Or maybe you need more power to tow your race car with your C-Body? These quality, reproduction bracket kits are what you need for both B,C,E-Body 273/318/340/360 to Big Block conversions and original B/RB replacements. These brackets bolt a 383, 400 or 440 to factory specs directly on your original V8 or B/RB K-member and fit all factory accessories. Kits include powder-coated brackets, factory-style insulators, grade 8 bolts.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/66.72bBody.html
second one down

also will i run into any troubles with mounting the 727 tranny ? i know the drive shaft and rear end and leaf spring are different
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

flyinlow

The motor mounts for non hemi v 8's are the same. Readily available and cheap. The brackets that bolt to the block that the rubber mount bolts to would come from a swap meet ,Ebay or Schumaker , Mancini, etc.  If you don't have these brackets, a quality package may be the best way to go. Powder coated ,good rubber or poly and the correct size grade 8 bolts.   :Twocents:

If you use the stock mounts there is a sticky by firefighter about pinning these mounts so they don't  easily fail.

sgt72charger

exactly what i was looking for
too bad i already bought the $162.00 "conversion" from schumacker
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

flyinlow

I used the Schumacker mounts to put a 440 in my 318 '73. Well made, quality hardware and good instructions on how to modify the K frame. ( not applicable to your car) Been in there for about 30K miles so far.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: sgt72charger on July 31, 2013, 02:08:50 PM
exactly what i was looking for
too bad i already bought the $162.00 "conversion" from schumacker

You might be lucky, there are reports of some of the 440Source mounts being made incorrectly.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.