News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing Decals

Started by young99, March 26, 2013, 06:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

young99

I have come across a 68 Charger that was painted orange and has the General Lee decals. I have wanted a 68 for quite some time and this one may be in my budget.

I know very little about how decals adhere to paint. Do you think it would be possible to remove the decals without it being majorly noticeable?

I like General Lees but due to where I work I would be unable to drive it there if I ever wanted to. 

JB400

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95444.0.html

Yes, they can be removed, but you might have some fading to deal with.  The orange will be brighter behind the decal. 

This guy had it done on his Challenger.  Results look :drool5:

twodko

It's not difficult it just takes a bit of patience. Use a heat gun to warm a corner and slowly peel. Keep that heat gun moving and never too close. All you're doing is making the vinyl pliable and any adhesive soft. Afterwards you could always rub the whole car out, maybe the colors would meld a little better. :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

doctor4766

Quote from: twodko on March 26, 2013, 07:50:00 PM
It's not difficult it just takes a bit of patience. Use a heat gun to warm a corner and slowly peel. Keep that heat gun moving and never too close. All you're doing is making the vinyl pliable and any adhesive soft. Afterwards you could always rub the whole car out, maybe the colors would meld a little better. :shruggy:
Yep, good advice.
And Ill just add that if you end up with some adhesive residue left on the paint afterwards, a bit of kero on a rag or paint safe, soft scouring sponge should remove the glue without any damage to the paint.
Gotta love a '69

Dino

Hair dryer or heat gun is the way to go.  If you're in a somewhat warmer climate than me, leave the car out in the sun for a while to start the process.  Once the decals and glue are removed you can polish the paint to blend but if it faded really bad I suggest you wet sand the roof/doors and follow the step by step sand and polish process to make the paint look like new again.

So I'm curious...where do you work?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

young99

Thanks for all the tips this helps me out alot. I work for a Major University.

Dino

Quote from: young99 on March 27, 2013, 10:57:41 AM
I work for a Major University.

Same here and they wouldn't appreciate a GL on campus either.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.