News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

budget reinforcing a 72 k frame

Started by Wicked72, April 09, 2013, 04:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

Everything is on a strict budget but i wanna keep pressing on. I want to strengthen my k frame before it rebuild it. I see firm feel has a kit for $75 which isnt bad at all really but im broke for awhile so i was thinking of just buying what i need from around my local stores. Ill weld all my seems and then i want to add all the other pieces. Im having trouble finding close up detailed pics of whats been added. If anyone could point out what they add and where that would be awsome and ill post my progress as i get it done
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Mike DC

The main things that you would be wise to reinforce are the mounting tubes for the LCAs (sometimes this area is already cracking just from long term street use), and the steering box mount benefits from more lateral support.

It doesn't hurt to seam weld all over the K, but those areas that I named are the most important things to beef up IMHO. 

dangina

do it yourself, i did, just cut your own templates and weld the crap out of it, I even built my own skid plate:

billfury

Here's mine I just did.

billfury

more

green69rt

I'm not against adding strength.. but these parts are pretty tough to start with so anything you add is icing.   Having said that I would agree with any or all of the above.  Weld the edge, reweld all the gussets and get some big washers or scrape and weld aroung the LCA holes.    Skid plate is nice and if you plan to run a deep sump oil pan it may save you A$$ but probably not required for a stock pan.  The stearing box mount can use some help but Firm Feel has a little kit that will probably do more to tighten stearing up than a lot of work around the mounts.  It is a little expense but.... :Twocents:

http://www.firmfeel.com/ssk_b.html

green69rt

I'm not against adding strength.. but these parts are pretty tough to start with so anything you add is icing.   Having said that I would agree with any or all of the above.  Weld the edge, reweld all the gussets and get some big washers or scrap and weld around the LCA holes.    Skid plate is nice and if you plan to run a deep sump oil pan it may save you A$$ but probably not required for a stock pan.  The stearing box mount can use some help but Firm Feel has a little kit that will probably do more to tighten stearing up than a lot of work around the mounts.  It is a little expense but.... :Twocents:

Read this article.

http://www.firmfeel.com/img/Primesteer.pdf

Here ar the parts..

http://www.firmfeel.com/ssk_b.html

billfury

I am using a deeper pan plus I like the look of the skid plate.I didn't do to much,just box up a couple of open spaces and reinforce the motor brackets.Some of the welds from the factory were not even touching.It look like Stevie Wonder was welding.

Mike DC

I disagree that checking/reinforcing the LCA mounting tubes is "icing."  IMHO that area is a genuine weak spot that deserves a good examination at the very least.  The metal fatigues over time and the tubes start tearing loose from the sidewalls of the K that they are welded into.  It can happen to cars that have never been abused just from high mileage.

As for the rest of it, yeah it's icing in terms of raw strength.  The steering box mount isn't gonna break but it can slightly tighten the feel if you stiffen it up laterally. 

green69rt

I change my  :Twocents: to agree with Mike DC.  The LCA mounts may have the biggest probability of failing so yeah, add the reinforcements.  And yes, if any welds are obviously bad then have at them.

Kern Dog

Be careful about the gussets and welding around the LOWER control arm hole. Remember that any additional material put here can put the mounting point of the LCA REARward, which will certainly affect caster and wheel alignment. The tubes in the K member that the LCA bolt passes through has a raised edge of approximately 1/8". Try to use a washer thinner than that to maintain OEM caster settings.
Big thread on this subject on Moparts in the "Corners are Best" forum.

green69rt

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on April 25, 2013, 12:18:36 PM
Be careful about the gussets and welding around the LOWER control arm hole. Remember that any additional material put here can put the mounting point of the LCA REARward, which will certainly affect caster and wheel alignment. The tubes in the K member that the LCA bolt passes through has a raised edge of approximately 1/8". Try to use a washer thinner than that to maintain OEM caster settings.
Big thread on this subject on Moparts in the "Corners are Best" forum.

Yeah, it's best to keep the welding away from that point.  Here's what the FF part looked like on mine and the LCA fits fine.