News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

This is just a test to see if this site will accept my photo's as formatted. 

Well I don't know why but it seems to have accepted these photos this time around.  Anyway I am new as a member but I have been looking at this site for a few months going through the 130 odd pages of threads to get info on this project I have started. Lots of great stuff and good work by talented people here.  I am building a Daytona clone using a 68 Charger shell to be fitted over a salvaged SRT-8.  I have seen the body swap done a couple of times so that's not new. Maybe a wing version will be.
These are pictures of a model built to help visualize some of what I want to do. I will try to post what I have been up to as time permits.

Aero426

Looks like it worked.     You should introduce yourself as I am sure some here have not heard your story. 

moparstuart

So is this the color scheme  ?     Where is the big  24 or 48 on the doors    :nana:   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Stevearino

Quote from: moparstuart on May 31, 2013, 02:42:30 PM
     So is this the color scheme  ?     Where is the big  24 or 48 on the doors    :nana:   

I have to steal some of those while no one is looking. Ha!

Ghoste

Welcome to the group, looks like a good project you have in mind there.

JB400

If the real car will look like the model, you'll have definitely raised the bar for a cool custom Charger, let alone wing car. :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:  I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed.

DC_1

Stevearino

Thanks for the welcome and I don't know about setting any high bar with this crowd. I have seen some pretty great stuff executed by members here.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Teaser    :drool5:

Stevearino

Stuart posted a picture of the donor SRT-8. Here are some pic of the other half of the equation. I bought the SRT from a salvage dealer in Pa. for $8,500.00 It has some minor mechanical damage from the front end collision but it starts and runs fine. I has 66,000 miles on it.

The 68 Charger came out of Rockmart Ga. It is just a bare shell and cost me $1,500.00 It was banged up pretty good on the quarters but it had a lot of good metal on the top side down to the quarter bottoms. The car never had a vinyl roof so the roof skin is in great shape. I will probably need to get new door skins though . They were knocked around pretty good. I will be fixing most other issues

You can see the floor is the traditional Swiss cheese. The car was untitled but it turned out that GA. did not require cars to be titled until the 80's so I was able to get an NC. inoperable title for now. The inspector told me to call him back when the car had a running drive train and he would start the paper work for the finish title.

All in all it is pretty solid based on the fact that it was stripped to the bone and has been sitting outside since 1976.

moparstuart

JB400

Ram07

Very cool....but, if that is how you're gonna paint it..I'd drop the grey on the hood.. :Twocents:..looking forward to build pics! :cheers:

Lighthorseman

Stevearino

Quote from: Ram07 on June 01, 2013, 03:37:37 PM
Very cool....but, if that is how you're gonna paint it..I'd drop the grey on the hood.. :Twocents:..looking forward to build pics! :cheers:

You may be right. The hood treatment might be a bit much. Maybe some matte black inserts would look better? Long way off to paint that's for sure.

Stevearino

That's it. I'm ready for paint.  Well maybe it needs a little more work.  I got the nose and tail second hand from a guy up in Troutman N.C. who used to work for Ray Evernham and has a tidy little business building General Lees for customers. Over the past few years he has built over 40 of them. I paid $500.00 for the pair. The hood and fender came out of S.C. The car it came off of had been stored in a back yard and a tree fell on the roof and killed it. I got the hood for $400.00 and the fender for $100. Seeing what most folks want for the 70 Charger stuff I consider myself lucky.

Stevearino

The right side fender is my "Wonder Fender". Mostly because I spent a month wondering where it was. I bought it of a guy on Ebay for $300.00 shipped from Iowa.
It took him 3 weeks to finally put the thing on a bus and another week to get from Iowa via transfers in Kansas City, Philadelphia and southern New Jersey. I learned a lot about shipping by bus.

The Vega window plug came from the guy who sold me the nose and wing. I paid $250.00 and I guess since these things are getting harder to find I should be pretty happy but while searching I found a beautiful one on Craigslist in San Diego for $20.00 local pick up only.

I got lucky and was able to trade the 68 hood to the same guy I bought my hood and left fender from to get the deck lid.

Stevearino

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 02, 2013, 04:32:22 PM
There was also a 68 Charger done on West coast customs.Modern underneath classic 68 charger on top

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33677.25.html

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4999/puggsvegas2ya8.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic%3D42040.0&h=480&w=640&sz=65&tbnid=zGZI7mx4FiH_0M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=126&prev=/search%3Fq%3DGary%2Bdourdan%2B68%2Bcharger%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Gary+dourdan+68+charger&usg=__WWHDaVrl9LiXssPLwkSj7XYOWyY=&docid=os4gEcyBUO8fsM&sa=X&ei=g7qrUaveHaL-4APfgIFo&ved=0CDgQ9QEwAw&dur=0
Yes I am aware of this car. The show about it was a little hokey and I wish they had showed more detail of the car build instead of people jerking around in the shop. They also split the show between the Charger and a Prius project.  Moparstuart showed me quite a few links where this has been done successfully . I hope I can pull it off. Those are some great pictures of that car in the link. I love the color on that car.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Stevearino

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 02, 2013, 07:15:52 PM
Heres another 69 to 08 charger

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149892

Wow! Ole Rowdy Gowdy ain't scared.  I love the way he's doing it with a tractor , an electric grinder,and a stick welder in a car port with some tarps down the sides. Holy Moly!

moparstuart

Quote from: Stevearino on June 02, 2013, 08:00:34 PM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 02, 2013, 07:15:52 PM
Heres another 69 to 08 charger

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149892

Wow! Ole Rowdy Gowdy ain't scared.  I love the way he's doing it with a tractor , an electric grinder,and a stick welder in a car port with some tarps down the sides. Holy Moly!
I hear Red Green sent him a case of Duct tape too   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Budnicks

Quote from: Stevearino on June 02, 2013, 02:57:05 PM
The right side fender is my "Wonder Fender". Mostly because I spent a month wondering where it was. I bought it of a guy on Ebay for $300.00 shipped from Iowa.
It took him 3 weeks to finally put the thing on a bus and another week to get from Iowa via transfers in Kansas City, Philadelphia and southern New Jersey. I learned a lot about shipping by bus.

The Vega window plug came from the guy who sold me the nose and wing. I paid $250.00 and I guess since these things are getting harder to find I should be pretty happy but while searching I found a beautiful one on Craigslist in San Diego for $20.00 local pick up only.

I got lucky and was able to trade the 68 hood to the same guy I bought my hood and left fender from to get the deck lid.

Very Cool Project, I look forward to reading more about your Daytona Clone... Welcome to DC .com
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks