News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Gauges not working

Started by dirttrackdemon, August 06, 2005, 07:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirttrackdemon

Hello everyone. I picked up a 3rd. Gen. Charger from a guy on the east coast. The body is in good condition but None of the dash gauges work with the exception of the ammeter. I pulled the voltage regulator from the back of the panel and took it apart, it was burnt up. Got a New one and installed it. Got power to the limiter and power to the gauges, but they don't work. I went to the trouble of installing New senders for water temp. and oil pressure. I pulled the fuel sender from the tank and checked it. All of the senders have power going to them. I think the gauges were fried before the voltage regulator failed. There is only 5 volts going to the gauges, I think when the regulator failed it dumped 12 volts to the gauges????? What does anyone else think?

Chryco Psycho

the guages do operated on 5v & if you have power to the guage & grounding the other side makes no difference as far as moving the needles I figure the guages must have failed

Ghoste

There are some pretty fine wires inside those old guages and the bimetallic springs aren't that voltage tolerant either.  That may very well be what happened.  You are going to have to open one up maybe and see whats fried.

dirttrackdemon

I gave up on the dash gauges, and installed some good aftermarket gauges. When I get some extra money I will replace the dash. The only problem with that is getting a dash with good gauges. There's no way to tell if there good except hooking them up. That's a whole lot of work. Thanks for your replys, Bill

Nacho-RT74

have you thought about the WIRE that feeds the voltage limiter could be damaged ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html