News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Welding advice needed

Started by XH29N0G, June 16, 2013, 02:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

It looks like I am going to need to get some work done on floor pans and on a frame piece that holds the bumper. 

I have not welded before.  I am thinking that the learning curve and outlay for equipment does not justify a do it myself approach and am considering finding a local shop that can do the welding.  I know a lot of you have taught yourselves and bought equipment. 

How much cost/effort did that take?  Would any advise doing the welding myself instead of following my present plan?

Thanks
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

lexxman

I would say if you don't plan on doing a lot or any welding other then these repairs. I would go to some body shops and get some quotes. How big is the spot on the frame and floor that need to be fixed? For a mechine you will pay anywhere for 200-500 plus gas,helmet etc. Depending on new or used. Learning to weld isn't that hard,but it can take time.

Mike DC

Welding is more of an art than a science, like spraying paint or block sanding.  You probably know yourself better than any of us if you are the type who will take to welding like a duck to water or have major problems learning it.

XH29N0G

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 16, 2013, 06:55:06 PM

Welding is more of an art than a science, like spraying paint or block sanding.  You probably know yourself better than any of us if you are the type who will take to welding like a duck to water or have major problems learning it.

Thanks lexxman and Mike DC

I wish I knew my welding aptitude ahead of time.

I think in this case, I will look into a shop quotes first.  The spots are about 10 inches by a few inches.   

Or maybe it protects us. 

areibel

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 16, 2013, 06:55:06 PM

Welding is more of an art than a science, like spraying paint or block sanding.  You probably know yourself better than any of us if you are the type who will take to welding like a duck to water or have major problems learning it.

:iagree:
I've owned a small mig for probably 10 years, I've watched videos, practiced on all sorts of scrap and still get nervous.  Usually it turns out fine, but it seems like it's a fight.  My oldest son picked up the gun 6-7 years ago when he was about 16 and messed around with it- he can weld circles around me now!  I don't know if it's some natural skill or he just isn't afraid of it (like the old man is!).
If you have a buddy that has one, or can take a class it might tell you something.  The local high school vo tech offers night classes, if there's anything like that near you.

Brightyellow69rtse

i went to school for it and have been welding for oh man 17 years now ugh haha. i picked up a little hobart 140 for home use its about 500 bucks. ive had it for years its really a great little machine. i wouldnt be afraid to try it it just takes time.  someones weld can be like their signature.

green69rt

I knew that my car would take a lot of welding so I went the DIYS route.  Sounds like there isin't a lot to do on yours.  I've been working on mycar about five years and would say that my welds look good, not great but good.  For you, find someone that knows how to do car panels.

Startup costs are about $500-700 range so it may pay you to find someone to do the work, then you need a lot of practice. You may not want a welding rig to sit in your garage for the next 10 years.

mAdMoPaR

Just went through the same thing myself. Bit the bullet and got a mig 135 from eastwood. Not the best but it did the job. $299 with free shipping and 3 year warranty didnt hurt either.  Picked up some 20 and 24 gauge sheets from local supply and electric shears from HF to make practice coupons and started practicing.

Cooter

When welding on sheet metal, or anything thin, too many make the mistake of thinking they have to run a continuous bead. SPOT welds are key here and spaced far apart. Many times, welding exhaust for me was the learning curve. If you can weld exhaust pipes together without burning a hole, you can weld in patch panels.

Once you move up to thicker stuff like frame rails and the like, you can burn them in with one, long, bead.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

miller time

at harbor freight u can get a 90amp flux core mig for like $80 or so on sale, a helmet for $50, gloves for $15, and 5lbs of wire for $15, then you need a grinder, wire brush, and patients, if your serious get the welder and all then get some sheet metal, and play with it until you get it good enough, thats what i did, now im a certified stick welder, and almost certified in Mig and Tig, just dont start on anything your care about, because, warping, splatter, burn threws, ect , you dont want on your finished product
Since your doing sheet metal, get a used piece of copper pipe atleast 3/4in beat and end flat and bend to a handle and you have a copper spoon, prevents burn threws, helps you fill holes, leaves a nice clean weld underneath that will be your new best friend.
P.S. my $80 mig welder has fallen off the cart since harbor freight carts are crap, and and it had a flash fire inside that singed the paint but never hurt it, just buy alot of contact tips

mAdMoPaR

Don't forget your gas bottle!   :cheers:

lexxman

Quote from: mAdMoPaR on June 20, 2013, 11:15:26 AM
Don't forget your gas bottle!   :cheers:
Yes welding sheet metal  the gas is a must. :2thumbs:

XH29N0G

OK, so I may try this after all..... :shruggy:  Now the question is which one to go with.   

I appreciate all those that have listed what they have and what they like.  I'll start looking myself.  Any additional thoughts will be appreciated.

Or maybe it protects us. 

lexxman

Look around to see if you can find a good used welder, you may save a few bucks. Just make sure you can add a bottle to it,not all machines will do that. And there are a lot of good videos on youtube on welding. They will help.I have a Lincoln 140amp 120v welder and it works good. Good luck and let us know how you do. :2thumbs:

green69rt

I have to say that if you are not in a big hurry then look around for a used welder (ebay, etc.)  Now after all is said and done you will want a auto-dark helmet.  Once you get one you'll never go back.  Also you will need a gas kit if the welder you buy doesn't come with one.  Again, once you weld with gas you won't go back. The first bottle of gas (get a small one...about 130FT3) and it will set you back about $150 but refills are only about $35.  Finally, as I said before...practice counts.  Get some old sheet metal and have at it!!!

Again, I will say, add up the costs and if you are only having a couple of things done and you can get them done in one callout then think about hiring someone to do them....but welding is a skill that comes in handy time and again so think about that!

Kangerman

Have you considered taking a class? If you do, make sure they do sheet metal. I spent a few years learning how to get good bead penetration only to go work at a car manufacturer where it's like welding on a pop can.

I have a 70 with a rotten floor pan that I thought I would patch, piece meal. After 6 months, I now wish I'd bought the whole pan and drilled and plugged at the original spot weld points. Sheet metal distorts if you localize the heat too much. Welding, grinding, hammering, sanding a seam over and over to get it to blend can get frustrating at times. Plus you migh find a lot more holes as you go.

That being said, lincoln, millier, and hobart all make decent stuff. Don't buy harbor freight, it's junk.