News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Omi Paint Supplies

Started by cudaken, August 07, 2013, 04:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Any thoughts on the Omi Line?  :scratchchin: I had been using American Finishes when I ran a body shop 10 years ago. I called my old paint supplier and was told they don't carry the line any longer. They now carry Omi.

What do you folks think of it?

One time I let a customer (And it was the only time) supply his own paint. Told him we know nothing about this paint, how it flows or flash time.  Way the car comes out is what it is and no warranty!

I don't know if the parts guy sold him the wrong stuff, or if he forgot something but after 3 days the Cobra Mustang II was still sticky, it was Omi paint. So after that, I thought Omi was junk!

First thing I will need is a none sand able primer / sealer. Something that will keep water off of some bare metal showing on my car. Seems the paint just cooked it off from the sun and it is rusting now.

Cuda Ken
I am back

bill440rt

You mean "Omni"?  :scratchchin:
It's shit. Any other questions?  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

cudaken

Why is it shit? Have you used it and what problems did you have?  :scratchchin: I just priced the sealer and with harder it is like $40.00 a quart. I mainly thinking about there primers, not there paint.

Husk 41 68 Charger was painted with there base clear Not my me and the paint looked like it blushed. I was not impressed, but it did dry!  :2thumbs:

Cuda Ken
I am back

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

469 runner

I've used Omni, it is PPG's budget line.  I found it doesn't cover quite as well as the PPG and color match was not as good.  But, around here a lot of collision shops use it and I'm sure it holds up fine for refinishing collision damage.  My Charger however, gets nothing but the best as I'm only doing this restoration once.  Since you're only looking to prime that area I would say the Omni undercoats are fine. PPG, however, has the best epoxy primer I've ever used.  DP40 is great.

bill440rt

Quote from: cudaken on August 07, 2013, 05:47:03 PM
Why is it shit? Have you used it and what problems did you have?  :scratchchin:

Can't say I had "problems" per se. I just found it very thin, coverage was lousy. Color was off.
You get what you pay for. It's cheap paint. I guess for painting brackets or small parts & stuff it's probably OK. I used it inside my trunk and underneath, took many coats to cover. Like 6, and it still didn't cover the way better paints do. This was spraying green. Also sprayed the white inside my doors with it, too.
It has it's purpose, but if I were doing the outside of a car there are many other paints I'd choose first over Omni.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charger_fan_4ever

Their epoxy primer is junk.

Primed a vintage sled frame and had it in the pole barn. 3-4 months was starting to rust.

Like stated its cheap stuff.

1ol72charger4me

Good alternative is the Summit urethane line. Activators and hardners go in everything and their clear is decent midline quality, free shipping on large order, so probably $ comparable to Omni. :Twocents:

Silver R/T

You probably mean omni. It'd PPG's budget line but it holds up well. I painted hood ~7 years ago and it still looks as good as the day I painted it. Car sits outside 365 days a year too.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Cooter

I've used OMNI and never had a problem, however, I do not go into a Mercedes dealer looking for a cheap car either.

I know full and well what I'm using BEFORE I paint it. Cheaper paint is cheaper for a reason. However, if the piece is gonna sit inside it's whole life, I don't see why OMNI wouldn't work.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cudaken

Thanks for the answers folks. Well I not sold on the stuff, but it is worth a shoot to get something on the bare metal. When I paint the car, I want to uses ICI. That stuff covers!

Cuda Ken
I am back

b5blue

Ken I used Eastwood's Epoxy Primer and Rust Encapsulator both worked well. I have a coat of Encapsulator on the hood of my Cherokee after a quick sanding and 2 light coats it's protected the hood from rusting for 3 years. The epoxy sprayed/sanded nice on the Charger and I kept it covered on my carport with a tarp until painting with Kirker pure white single stage.  :2thumbs:

mauve66

Omni sprayed August 1998, 1 year out in Vegas sun then 4-6 years in garage with a bicycle, couldn't afford anything else, NOT color sanded or waxed but 1-2 times the first year

i considered it a decent 20 footer but with no color sanding i never thought the color depth was very good, or maybe only dark colors get that deep shine??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Silver R/T

^^^^ Was this Charger done in single stage or base/clear?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mauve66

base / clear, i forget the # of coats of each though, i think it was 3 and 3 but it was a long time ago
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Silver R/T

Sounds like you have enough clear on there to wetsand and buff it then. You'd be amazed how good it will turn out, that's if you're after glossy paint of course.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

GPULLER

Have used Omni MTK Single stage on tractors for years.  I really like it, sprays out nice, covers nice and is durable.  Omni name has been phased out and is now called Shopline.  Same paint just different name and numbers.