News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

I went ahead and got the front clip, inner and outer rockers, and passenger side front fender blasted.

inner rocker before and after

mopar4don

here is the front clip after blasting

JB400

Looks good. :2thumbs:  Don't forget to swap your vin number on the rad support

mopar4don

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 25, 2013, 12:19:39 PM
Looks good. :2thumbs:  Don't forget to swap your vin number on the rad support
Thanks stroker, that is in the plans!

Baldwinvette77

You did a good job at erasing that coronet from existence  :lol:

cdr

again--------------------------simply amazing   :2thumbs: 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Baldwinvette77

mopar4don

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 25, 2013, 06:40:42 PM
You did a good job at erasing that coronet from existence  :lol:
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words!
77, it may not exist anymore, but it's parts will live on in another........ (and man did it save me some $$)

bill440rt

I'm in disbelief.  :o
Let me understand this correctly. This is your FIRST time doing a restoration like this?? You're making some of the pro's look like amateurs!  :lol:
Very nice work you're doing. If you've never done this before, how did you learn all this?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar4don

Quote from: bill440rt on September 26, 2013, 06:47:04 AM
I'm in disbelief.  :o
Let me understand this correctly. This is your FIRST time doing a restoration like this?? You're making some of the pro's look like amateurs!  :lol:
Very nice work you're doing. If you've never done this before, how did you learn all this?

Thanks Bill,
I really have to give all of the credit to my dad, who taught me (by example) that you can do ANYTHING if you just put you mind to it!
As I was growing up, I saw him do everything. He NEVER paid someone to do any type of work for him!
He did everything, from working on cars (he never restored any) to remodeling/building houses. He did plumbing, electrical, roofing, concrete... you name it he did it! His main career he worked on computers. (keep in mind back in the 60's not many people had ever even seen a computer!)(The computer systems he worked on filled a room!) So he had to trouble shoot the problem and repair the circuitry. Not many do this anymore, they just swap out boards.
Anyway, with someone like that as a role model you learn a few things along the way!

Personally I have been in the tool & die / mold maker trade for 35 years. So between what I learned from my dad and my career I think I'm up to the challenge.

As for the car, I always loved the muscle cars and had a couple in the late 70's early 80's. About 4-5 years ago I decided I need a "project", and not having the big bucks to spend on a turn key car, I decided that I would restore one. After a year or two searching I decided on the 2nd gen charger and picked up my current one about 2 years ago. It sat while I finished a remodeling project for the wife. And about a year ago I started the "rust belt restoration"!
When I was looking I knew I could only afford a project car, But after finding this forum and forbbodiesonly forum I started reading how other guys out there were bringing back the "dead" and this really appealed to me. To be honest, I never would have attempted restoring a car at this level without the help and inspiration of the members of DC.com and forbbodiesonly.com.
I needed a challenge and I got it!
Sorry for being so long winded.

Bill, I saw your car at the Dream cruise and WOW what a beautiful ride! Do you still have the green charger?

bill440rt

Very impressive!  :cheers:

Thanks for the compliment also on my '70.
And yes, I still have the green '69!  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Homerr

So, are the pics we're seeing in real-time or over the past year?

fy469rtse

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: I don't care as long as they keep coming , great build , how to put your charger together from a million pieces, and from memory, god and I thought some of the things I had to do were hard, wish I had seen this first , would zipped along with a whole new attitude,

mopar4don

Quote from: Homerr on September 26, 2013, 06:47:10 PM
So, are the pics we're seeing in real-time or over the past year?
Yes they are in the past year.

Quote from: fy469rtse on September 27, 2013, 01:14:50 AM
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: I don't care as long as they keep coming , great build , how to put your charger together from a million pieces, and from memory, god and I thought some of the things I had to do were hard, wish I had seen this first , would zipped along with a whole new attitude,
thanks fy469rtse

Homerr

Ok, still great work!

We were just collectively freaking out at how fast you were moving on the project.

mopar4don

Quote from: Homerr on September 27, 2013, 11:58:39 AM
Ok, still great work!

We were just collectively freaking out at how fast you were moving on the project.

Um just so everybody knows I did put that disclamer in my very 1st post......

Quote from: mopar4don on September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM
I am in the process of restoring a 1969 Charger.
I have never done anything like this with a car or truck so it should be a blast!
Hey, what can I say, I need a project. And I think I'VE GOT A PROJECT!! :scratchchin:

Just so everyone knows, I started this resto last year (will be trying to get you caught up)
Any and all comments, suggestions are welcome

I'ts not a problem though, I wish I was half that fast.
I would'nt even want to guess how long it's going to take! :icon_smile_question:

six-tee-nine

Hey Don,

Remember me asking on page 2 if I could pull the cowl panel and reuse it?  Well your pictures pulled me over the line. Last week I grabbed the drill and spent almost 6 hours on drilling and carefully grinding the seams. But its done, and undeformed to be put back in place. I'm gonna put the top cowl panel back on after I blast, epoxy prime and paint that lower cowl panel.
I dont regret pulling the panel because I removed a bucket full of rodent nest/crap from under that panel...

I think you are doing an awesome job for the first time and think I spent over 30 hours of grinding and drilling spotwelds on my car and it still looks complete so I can only imagine the time and dedication you have put in yours so far.
Keep up the good (and inspiring) work.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

mopar4don

Quote from: six-tee-nine on September 27, 2013, 01:37:39 PM
Hey Don,

Remember me asking on page 2 if I could pull the cowl panel and reuse it?  Well your pictures pulled me over the line. Last week I grabbed the drill and spent almost 6 hours on drilling and carefully grinding the seams. But its done, and undeformed to be put back in place. I'm gonna put the top cowl panel back on after I blast, epoxy prime and paint that lower cowl panel.
I dont regret pulling the panel because I removed a bucket full of rodent nest/crap from under that panel...

I think you are doing an awesome job for the first time and think I spent over 30 hours of grinding and drilling spotwelds on my car and it still looks complete so I can only imagine the time and dedication you have put in yours so far.
Keep up the good (and inspiring) work.

Hi six-tee-nine,
Glad it all worked out for you.
And your right about taking your time. Thats the biggest thing I fight with, is wanting to pry things apart and muscle it.
Thats one of the most important things I can recommend, is to take your time and don't force it. Especially if your trying to save the panel!

And thanks for the compliments, all I can say is were all learning together.
Oh yeah, six-tee-nine, do you have a thread so I can see the pics?

Old Tired Rebel

I love these builds. Even though I am having to wait I am making plans on doing small projects until I get my welder.

six-tee-nine

Quote from: mopar4don on September 27, 2013, 02:37:08 PM
Oh yeah, six-tee-nine, do you have a thread so I can see the pics?

I need mo make one but my progress is soooo slow I dont have enough to share I think. I lost 2 grand worth of parts (long story) that i need to buy again now so progress ist that fast.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

fy469rtse

have you been to your garage lately, some one just put a rust free frame on ebay, unless its you because you gave up  :icon_smile_big:, kidding , more progress  , this is good stuff keep the updates coming

mopar4don

Quote from: fy469rtse on October 07, 2013, 12:12:53 AM
have you been to your garage lately, some one just put a rust free frame on ebay, unless its you because you gave up  :icon_smile_big:, kidding , more progress  , this is good stuff keep the updates coming

I saw that guys ad on craigslist.... he's asking a bit more on ebay!
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/pts/4011266504.html

mopar4don

After getting the front clip blasted, I decided to try my first "patch" job.
It was rusted out in the outer hinge pillar.

mopar4don

I think it turned out pretty good!