News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel question: Vectors

Started by Dreamcar, October 02, 2013, 01:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I love the look of Vector wheels, especially how they look when not "sticking out" as much. The DeathProof chargers are a perfect example of what I prefer as they are more "tucked-in" the wheelwells. To me that's a classic look.

Death Proof charger:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=61876.0

Since I know nothing about backspacing and Mopar wheel sizes (just got by 69 Charger in July), would the newest versions of Vectors fit correctly to give me the "look" I prefer? The available sizes are in the link below. Which would I chose for all four corners given the "Size", "Offset", "Backside" and "Bolt Circle"? I "0" offset a problem?

http://asp.americanracing.com/wheels/details.asp?wheelid=225&name=Vector%20SE&style=47&desc=1-piece%20painted/machined%20alloy%20wheel&section=A
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

bull

Before you get too carried away I'd call them and find out if they're actually available or in backorder limbo. Last I heard they weren't making them anymore.

myk

Well, whether you buy vectors or not, typically you'll want your backspacing to be 4.5" in the front and 5.0" in the back.  There are exceptions but from what I've noticed that's what most of the guys here including myself have wound up with.  You can also consult with offset/backspacing calculators like this one: http://www.customwheeloffset.com/tire-wheel-backspacing-offset-calculators.

Ultimately, whoever you buy from should be able to steer you into the proper 'specs...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Your backspacing is roughly half of the rim width.

Do what Bull said first and then post some more pics of the look you're after.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

I have 15X7 GM wheels on my GL and I too prefer the same size all way round but can understand why some would try the 10" wide ones in the rear.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dreamcar

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

MaximRecoil

The wheels on the "Death Proof" and "Drive Angry" Chargers are the American Racing Vector SE that you linked to, size 15x7 all around. The 15x7 size only comes in zero offset, so if you buy them you get the same offset as the wheels on the movie car by default (and be sure to get the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern).

That style of wheel was popularized for use on second generation Dodge Chargers by the Dukes of Hazzard's "General Lee", which used the original American Racing Vectors (and sometimes the practically identical Shelby version of them), usually in the 14x7 and 15x7 sizes, and usually with the same size all around. The originals also had zero offset in the 7" wide sizes.

You can tell that the wheels on the Death Proof and Drive Angry Chargers are the 2006 reissues rather than originals from the '70s / '80s because of the glossy gray color of the recessed areas and the lack of raised lip around the outer edge of the wheel (which the originals had for the purpose of mounting wheel weights). The reissues were out of production for a while but they went back in production early this year, and there are plenty of people on eBay right now (as well as various online stores) selling them.

I too prefer the 7" width. I think deeper dish versions of Vector wheels look weird, and I think that any wheel that sticks out so that it is flush with the body looks weird on a Charger in general. Chargers were designed to have the wheels set into the body a few inches, which is why the tops of the wheel wells are flat rather than round.

Dreamcar

Quote from: MaximRecoil on October 03, 2013, 10:07:24 AM
The wheels on the "Death Proof" and "Drive Angry" Chargers are the American Racing Vector SE that you linked to, size 15x7 all around. The 15x7 size only comes in zero offset, so if you buy them you get the same offset as the wheels on the movie car by default (and be sure to get the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern).

That style of wheel was popularized for use on second generation Dodge Chargers by the Dukes of Hazzard's "General Lee", which used the original American Racing Vectors (and sometimes the practically identical Shelby version of them), usually in the 14x7 and 15x7 sizes, and usually with the same size all around. The originals also had zero offset in the 7" wide sizes.

You can tell that the wheels on the Death Proof and Drive Angry Chargers are the 2006 reissues rather than originals from the '70s / '80s because of the glossy gray color of the recessed areas and the lack of raised lip around the outer edge of the wheel (which the originals had for the purpose of mounting wheel weights). The reissues were out of production for a while but they went back in production early this year, and there are plenty of people on eBay right now (as well as various online stores) selling them.

I too prefer the 7" width. I think deeper dish versions of Vector wheels look weird, and I think that any wheel that sticks out so that it is flush with the body looks weird on a Charger in general. Chargers were designed to have the wheels set into the body a few inches, which is why the tops of the wheel wells are flat rather than round.

Thanks!