News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about my VIN tag.

Started by Syreal_70, October 29, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Quote from: polywideblock on October 30, 2013, 12:01:37 AM
remember  I read an article about a "root beer" brown superbird in moparformance back in the 80's said the "weird "cars were built during lunch while supervisors were away from line    :shruggy:

Having worked in a unionized auto plant, two questions come to mind, who was turning the line on if the supervisors weren't around and where did they ever find enough UAW guys willing to work through their lunch to build non standard cars.  Hell, its hard enough getting them to work when they're supposed to let alone during a period where they won't get paid.

bill440rt

Quite possible it is a VIN mis-stamp?  :scratchchin:
Dash VIN states "V" code, when it should have been a "U"?
But then again, the "V" is also on the fender tag.  :scratchchin:
:popcrn:

I remember reading an article about a Chrysler 300 Hurst car, might have been in MCG, where it left the factory with a 6-pack & A/C. Only one known to exist, some kind of wacky special order executive job. But in a Charger?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Homerr

Was the engine in-place when you bought this car?  Or have you seen pics of the motor in?  Do you have the Six-Pack air cleaner?  Can you take/share pics?

If not, do the parts that came with the car include an A/C compressor, associated dual-belt pulleys, condenser, evaporator, etc?

It would be interesting to see if the A/C compressor in-situ.

We're asking because the Six-Pack air cleaner doesn't clear the compressor.

Here's a pic with the larger oval Six-Pack air cleaner, no clearance for a compressor:

And here's a stock-type setup for a 383 big-block, but a 440-4bbl would be similar.  Note the compressor up top in front of the air cleaner, dual-pulley belts.

Sorry for the big pics, not mine.  But good for clarity.

maxwellwedge

remember  I read an article about a "root beer" brown superbird in moparformance back in the 80's said the "weird "cars were built during lunch while supervisors were away from line    :shruggy:

That was a paint line mistake...they mistook FJ5 and painted them FK5....I think 3 of them.

I don't know if I like this A/C E87 thing.....Like 69Coronet mentioned - the tag shows a normal VON.....It would surely have been a special VON. Too many things to engineer on the fly to make it happen.....unless the A/C was a mistake in the body line (firewall holes were punched) and they ended up using a U code motor.....but for sure they would have done up new tags - no? F-Tag looks...ok.....I don't know what to make of the whole thing... :scratchchin:

hemigeno

I'm not sure what to think either.  With two "no-no's" on the tag for a 440-6 car (A/C and cruise), I'm just not sure.  There are three indicators of it being a 6-pack car - VIN plate, Fender Tag VIN, and Fender Tag Engine Code (E87).  Seems unlikely that all three would be "mistakes".  I'd understand one coded option mistake on the Fender Tag (H51), but having N88 Cruise Control makes you wonder what the probabilities are that they would accidentally add two non-available options.

The interior is already out of the car, so hopefully someone saved any Broadcast Sheet(s) unearthed.  Apart from that or some Day One photographs, time to get out the BIG  :scope:

:shruggy:

maxwellwedge

Ghoste

Nor I, this is becoming quite interesting.

bill440rt

Theory of a "V" -> "U" mis-stamp may be possible.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

What about the engine code on the fender tag?

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on October 30, 2013, 11:27:50 AM
What about the engine code on the fender tag?

Yep, I question that in a previous post.  :yesnod:
Definitely a strange bird.
Hopefully the OP digs up some more documentation on the car.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 30, 2013, 10:05:40 AM
remember  I read an article about a "root beer" brown superbird in moparformance back in the 80's said the "weird "cars were built during lunch while supervisors were away from line    :shruggy:

That was a paint line mistake...they mistook FJ5 and painted them FK5....I think 3 of them.

I don't know if I like this A/C E87 thing.....Like 69Coronet mentioned - the tag shows a normal VON.....It would surely have been a special VON. Too many things to engineer on the fly to make it happen.....unless the A/C was a mistake in the body line (firewall holes were punched) and they ended up using a U code motor.....but for sure they would have done up new tags - no? F-Tag looks...ok.....I don't know what to make of the whole thing... :scratchchin:

Since 440-6 w A/C was 'not available', it would be interesting to see what engine assembly code would be on the broadcast sheet. 999?

Just throwing it out there....not saying this is the case. There is more to learn here.... but people do remake VIN and fender tags. (Remember, some people do defend remade fender tags as 'harmless personalized modifications to MY car that I want and will never be misrepresented now or in the future.')
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 30, 2013, 10:05:40 AM

I don't know if I like this A/C E87 thing.....Like 69Coronet mentioned - the tag shows a normal VON.....

Yet, Y39 and a 'normal' VON does appear on 70 STL tags. One would presume a 'one off' like this would carry some special VON. Maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see won't we.... :popcrn:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

polywideblock

to quote rick Ehrenberg "when it comes to mopar never say never "   :scratchchin:

edit :               my apologies have corrected the glaring spelling mistake

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

69CoronetRT

Quote from: polywideblock on October 30, 2013, 12:25:23 PM
to quote rick Ehrenburg "when it comes to mopar never say never "   :scratchchin:

great quote...but be ready to back up and rock solid prove the supposedly 'unavailable' otherwise the sky's the limit when it comes to making up stuff (71 Hemi A body). A lot of what was proposed as 'never made' was always available (72 6bbl cars), just not made in large quantities or have turned out to be urban legends/fakes (70 Daytonas)

maxwellwedge

Quote from: polywideblock on October 30, 2013, 12:25:23 PM
to quote rick Ehrenberg "when it comes to mopar never say never "   :scratchchin:

edit :               my apologies have corrected the glaring spelling mistake

Ahh - The old Mopar never say never....Sorry E-Booger - A common retort when someone hasn't done any investigating or research. Not to say Ma Mopar didn't have some weird things - they did....but mostly minor variation stuff/Boo-boos etc. This one is big.

hemi68charger

Quote from: bill440rt on October 30, 2013, 11:25:47 AM
Theory of a "V" -> "U" mis-stamp may be possible.

Then there would be two things wrong, the "V" when it should have been "U" and "E87" when it should have been "E86"..... Like Geno stated... one thing wrong, maybe... But two things wrong? So, with that being said, then there would be two pairs of things wrong..........

Something's not right..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bill440rt

You're right, Troy.

I'm REALLY curious as to the last 6 digits of the VIN now.
I wonder if it might be some early pilot car?

Do we have a pic of the firewall?

hemigeno

Quote from: bill440rt on October 30, 2013, 12:58:57 PM
I wonder if it might be some early pilot car?

With a February '70 SPD, not likely to be the case... was thinking the same thing earlier...   :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 29, 2013, 06:04:43 PM
As you can see I am diving in deep with this project.

It looks more like a light green than FJ5........

JB400

May we have a few more pix of this car?  How complete was it when you got it?

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

hemi68charger

Quote from: bill440rt on October 30, 2013, 12:58:57 PM
You're right, Troy.

...I wonder if it might be some early pilot car?

Not if it was built on the 4th of Feb... 204
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bill440rt

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 30, 2013, 01:20:20 PM
Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 29, 2013, 06:04:43 PM
As you can see I am diving in deep with this project.

It looks more like a light green than FJ5........

Check out the hood leaning against the wall in the background...  :scope:

Syreal_70

Car is > than VIN 185000. I assume not a a early car right? Here is a shot of the firewall I saw someone asked about.

The door sticker has same vin as the other two if that helps.

Eric
1970 Charger V Code Sublime 6 Pack - AKA The Mysteriess

maxwellwedge

For a Feb car VIN sounds low....maybe other '70 owners can chime in? Both of mine are early....Aug and Oct. What is the date on the door VIN sticker?

Syreal_70

I was told, and it sure looks, that this is the original paint. The car sat for about 30 years. Unfortunatly the motor is long gone. I have stared writing letters to a past owner (from 25 years ago) that is on my title.

1970 Charger V Code Sublime 6 Pack - AKA The Mysteriess