News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fast & Furious 7

Started by Surf Charger, November 07, 2013, 02:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Quote from: bill440rt on November 14, 2013, 05:41:00 PM
I don't think anyone here is against chase scenes or having these cars featured in movies.
The argument lies in the destruction of them in films in today's day & age. And not just one or two, but a fleet of them as seen in this thread. And destruction meaning gone forever. That does little for the hobby when there are that many less cars out there to choose from.
A cage covered in AMD skins? Wreck as many as you want. I'll be first in line at the box office.

This is exactly what I was trying to say, although for some reason I couldn't state it plainly enough. I'm not talking about excluding real classics from fast driving, hard cornering and drifting, small jumps, etc., I'm talking mammoth jumps, rollovers and broadside collisions like we see in DOH, Death Proof and F&F. Basically anything that mashes the car to the point of being beyond repair.

ws23rt

It's been a long time since christine came out but that car healed it's self. 

What's up with the CGI geeks these days. Can't they crash and heal cars anymore?

Ghoste

Yeah, you'd think if they can blow up the White House each time there's an alien invasion they could fake automotive carnage.

JB400

Quote from: ws23rt on November 14, 2013, 06:12:45 PM

What's up with the CGI geeks these days. Can't they crash and heal cars anymore?
Christine was filmed backwards in the segments where it "healed" itself.

Mike DC

You're not gonna do modern filmmaking without destroying some of the cars involved.  The best you can do is hold down the numbers.  Cars will get cut up for camera work & killed in accidents even if you don't write destruction into the script.  They might kill 3 or 4 Chargers doing a F&F movie even though only one of them was a scripted major crash. 

You're also not gonna do modern filmmaking without a fleet of copies of each major car.  Same reason they film Indiana Jones with several different stunt guys as Indy and a dozen copies of Indy's clothes.  If they could get extra copies of their star actors it would be worth millions to the studios.  

bull

And I don't think people would get too worked up about "unplanned" destruction as they would the intentional stuff. Screwing up a stunt that was not designed to total the car is fogiveable in my book but to write the script to say "black '70 Charger hits front of truck and barrel rolls onto its roof"? I guess that's where I draw the line.

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 14, 2013, 10:27:14 PM

No! seriously?  I had no idea.   :icon_smile_big:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

JB400

Quote from: Fred on November 17, 2013, 01:28:16 AM

No! seriously?  I had no idea.   :icon_smile_big:
That's good.  It'd hurt if you did. :lol:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 17, 2013, 01:30:13 AM
Quote from: Fred on November 17, 2013, 01:28:16 AM

No! seriously?  I had no idea.   :icon_smile_big:
That's good.  It'd hurt if you did. :lol:

Well that explains a lot!  :cheers:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Mike DC

Yep, they pulled the car out of shape hydraulically from behind, and then ran the footage backwards.  Worked beautifully.  If the movie was done today I doubt they could find any better way of pulling off those shots. 

(Not that they wouldn't try.  Lord knows they would have to spend a million bucks on a CGI attempt.  And they would probably crunch up a couple of cars for raw material footage to manipulate, too.)