News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A thread for road racers............>>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, March 04, 2006, 07:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightning

Rallyemike, have you thought of possibly doing a G-series Daytona conversion?
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

RallyeMike

QuoteRallyemike, have you thought of possibly doing a G-series Daytona conversion?

Besides not having clue what that is, I already have three other project cars that are going nowhere.

Googled "Dave Marcis Charger" and got this ..... ???  No text explanation.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Lightning

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

CFMopar

I'd like to do a dyna clone wiht my 71 i love it in black.... :icon_smile_tongue:
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Creeder#1

2006 Silver SRT8 Charger & General Pershing Zephyr: Named "Silver Charger" after Pershing's horse.

chargermad890

hey are there any of these events, on or near the east coast

RallyeMike

Open Road Racing events like the Silver State Challenge and Pony Express are only run in Nevada, Texas, Nebraska, and Mexico.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Blown70 on March 11, 2006, 10:30:42 AM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 11, 2006, 07:54:28 AM
QuoteI'm looking for 650 hp after the upgrades, so my main concern is whether the Keisler will take that kind of power.

The Keisler setup can probably take it (it's rumored to have dealt with 700 hp in some cases).  But the Charger's stock 8.75" rearend sure can't take those numbers.  You've got a few different options.  I don't think anything on the market is really ideal for a road-racer at this point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mopar 8.75" = Likeable, even somewhat beef-able, but still not really strong enough for the job.  Might barely work with enough money thrown at it and never running any drag slicks on the car.

GM 12-bolt = It was the "good one" for 60s Camaros, and of course now Chevy guys mistakenly think it's actually good.  So you pay for a bulletproof rearend and then you don't get one.

Dana 60 = Strong as Fuk.  But it's extremely heavy (250 pounds), and no gearsets taller than 3.54 will even fit into the diff case.

Ford 9" =  Strong as fuk when beefed up.  But it costs some extra HP & runs hot because of the gear mesh angle.  Also rumored to be a Ford product.

I agree with the above,  I have heard 1200+ hp the dana needs a back pressure housing?  The one that preloads pressure on the mains?  Well I am getting one for mine just to be safe.

I was told a mopar 8 3/4 could handle up to but should not be pushed over 650.  And at that you are pushing it.

Tom

my boss was running an 8 3/4 behind his 4-speed blown 440...    making about 800hp and it lived...         buddy is running one behind his built 440 making 870 tq...     it lives fine...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ChargerHound69

How are the projects comming along?

AndyF that car is very nice, can we get some close up pictures of everything?

SeattleCharger

800 hp 4 sp.,    :o    Bet he can blow some cars away.   That would be fun.    Can't imagine driving that.     :icon_smile_tongue:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on July 19, 2006, 07:33:22 PM
800 hp 4 sp.,    :o    Bet he can blow some cars away.   That would be fun.    Can't imagine driving that.     :icon_smile_tongue:

well now he has a 5oo+ ci Hemi going in with a 10-71 bolted to it...      engine builder dynoed it at 1172hp...    for street driving....      also checked it with higher psi and was getting into the 1300's....       :'(

SeattleCharger

Quote from: RallyeMike on March 21, 2006, 11:30:29 PM
1.0 bars last year. 1.12 this year. Using an 1-1/8 front sway and stock 72 rear sway.

As far as 2nd gens go, all I can say is this: Richard Petty states that his favorite stock car out of all the ones he drove over the years, including the aero-cars, he liked his string of 3rd gen Chargers the best. Granted, stock cars evolved a lot between 70 and 72-76, so maybe a direct comparison isnt entirely fair, but you just can't argue with the King  :icon_smile_big:

Cool to see your car at the DodgeCharger.com meet/show in Kent, WA today.    Here are some pics I got of it.    You guys should have heard this thing start up,  and peel out around the parking lot.    Then drive out on the street.   Street legal race car.     :2thumbs:

tan top

looks like its ready to run some big speeds ,     awesome looking charger ( RallyeMike)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RallyeMike

Not so awesome up close, but it photographs well.  ;D

Ran a 130mph average over a 100 mile course a week ago today. Although I was only 2 seconds off my time, came in 7th. Tough competition. Tripped the rader display at 156mph and topped about 162mph+/- on one straight. The tech in the class that I run disqualifies me if I run anything over 168 so I will always try and stay a couple mph under that.

They have speed classes starting at 85mph average, so there is something for anyone. Check it out and come join the fun!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Rolling_Thunder

i had the Charger at about 130mph Saturday on the 110 freeway....     (my local car club had a Poker run)    ---   i didnt know how fast I was going until my buddy John told me...     he has a 04 SRT-10 ram...      with a speedo...      something my car currently lacks.

Brock Samson

cause of the areo alone i wont run past 110...
we should do up some spoiler templates.. front and rear both Gens. (all three?)  :eyes:
Mike, what's the spoilers made outta,..  alum. and lexan?..

RallyeMike

QuoteMike, what's the spoilers made outta,..  alum. and lexan?..

Surplus aluminum sheet bent sloooowly in my vice. The plastic extension is plastic sheet sold just for this kind of application and side skirting by Speedway Motors.  
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Lightning

wow, that thing's a Beauty!  So what tires and engine are you running in that thing?

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Lightning on July 24, 2006, 03:04:11 PM
wow, that thing's a Beauty!  So what tires and engine are you running in that thing?

I agree.   RallyMike, you are too modest man.   Actually looks better in person, my low pixel cheap digital camera doesn't do it justice.    And it sounds awesome. 

RallyeMike

QuoteActually looks better in person, my low pixel cheap digital camera doesn't do it justice.   

I guess we are all our own worst critics, as they say. But thanks.

Lets just say it's definitely not a show car. The main reason I try and take it to events is to generate interest in Open Road Racing. Still looking for takers !
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Chryco Psycho

I wish I could have made it out there & met with all of you & seen Mikes car up close

ChargerHound69

I am working on getting the 69 charger ready to race.  I will update the pictures soon.

firefighter3931

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 23, 2006, 08:29:51 PM

Tripped the rader display at 156mph and topped about 162mph+/- on one straight. The tech in the class that I run disqualifies me if I run anything over 168 so I will always try and stay a couple mph under that.

Wow, you've got that badboy flyin Mike....162 mph !   :bow:  Cool looking car....looks fast just sitting there !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

kamkuda

I do a bit of road racing but (sorry) not with a Mopar.
The track I run on is a short track with very sharp turns.  The car is designed for that purpose Not alot of power but a science out suspension and a stiff chassis.
I have not been on the bigger track yet.

I have chatted with my other Road Racing buddy when we were going to build my 72 Cuda as a road racer.  Here were some ideas FWIW

1. Light Weight. (Planned 408 with as much light aluminum as possible , heads water pump etc) Aflat torque curve will serve you well.
2. Weight Bias,  As close to neutral as posible.  A heavy nose and light rear will make cornering "less" easy
3. Stiff Frame.  You should see the road race cages versus drag car cages.  Lots of X braces.
4. Big Brakes, And they will heat up really fast with a lot of weight too.
5. Sticky Tires Light weight Rims
6. Tight Suspension.  I was planning simple, large torsion bars, large sway bars, adjustable shocks and science it out from there.
An braced 8 3/4 rear will be the best... aside from an expensive independant rear suspenion.

Have fun. ;D

Rob