News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The new beginning; Elephant with wings.... Whatcha think?

Started by hemi68charger, November 15, 2013, 08:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 21, 2014, 07:28:01 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 21, 2014, 04:15:56 PM
Now you're cookin'!

I search via out trusty Roger Gibson,  but I didn't see it. Guess I'll email Frank direct........

Thanks for the enlightenment !!!

....... it's the little things I like.... Except certain feminine parts of course...   :icon_smile_big:

Yes AB, you are correct in stating that the breather and PCV are reversed if it's a fresh air or non fresh air Hemi. That's why the routing shown on my X wont work for you. I don't have a non fresh air 69 Hemi to look at.....I would still ask Frank what is correct for you.....not the other reference you quoted....their Hemi has plenty of incorrect things in the pics.

Also.....not to be picky....  :lol: those aluminum straps around the heater hoses.....save those for the next slant 6 car you do.....   :2thumbs:

Restoration Services,
Parts and Supplies
Auto Restoration Parts Supply, LLC
Frank Badalson
7622 Whitepine Rd.
Richmond, Va. 23237
Fax 804.275.1969
sixpackfrank@aol.com

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 22, 2014, 07:30:20 AM
Yes AB, you are correct in stating that the breather and PCV are reversed if it's a fresh air or non fresh air Hemi. That's why the routing shown on my X wont work for you. I don't have a non fresh air 69 Hemi to look at.....I would still ask Frank what is correct for you.....not the other reference you quoted....their Hemi has plenty of incorrect things in the pics.

Also.....not to be picky....  :lol: those aluminum straps around the heater hoses.....save those for the next slant 6 car you do.....   :2thumbs:

I got a hold of Frank and he's going to get back to me based on my application. He mentioned that the one photo on Detroit MCM Consulting was incorrect with two clamps under the throttle bracket. I suspect he'll get back to me later on.

On the aluminum strap, I was going by the picture I found of a Hemi Charger 500 back when it was new and had one........  :scope:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

I thought I had seen the aluminum straps on things other than slant six too.  :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 22, 2014, 01:29:17 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 22, 2014, 07:30:20 AM

Also.....not to be picky....  :lol: those aluminum straps around the heater hoses.....save those for the next slant 6 car you do.....   :2thumbs:

I got a hold of Frank and he's going to get back to me based on my application. He mentioned that the one photo on Detroit MCM Consulting was incorrect with two clamps under the throttle bracket. I suspect he'll get back to me later on.

On the aluminum strap, I was going by the picture I found of a Hemi Charger 500 back when it was new and had one........  :scope:

Hey AB - That's cool.....just never seen them on any original, production cars. Always thought it as a Year One thing. Glad you called Frank.  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

A Year One thing, haha, I like that.  They sure do add a new slant to "over-restored" when you follow their catalog.  :yesnod:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Ghoste on July 22, 2014, 01:33:22 PM
I thought I had seen the aluminum straps on things other than slant six too.  :shruggy:
Seen them on V8's with A/C. Also, the 69 340's used one to attach the hose to the valve cover. http://www.moparaction.com/Article/JUNE/JUNE.html

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Ghoste on July 23, 2014, 08:01:32 AM
A Year One thing, haha, I like that.  They sure do add a new slant to "over-restored" when you follow their catalog.  :yesnod:

You immediately grasped my meaning!  :lol:

Ghoste

Thats likely what I'm thinking then.  I thought there was one on a 68 road runner I had a long time ago but if it was an A/C thing then maybe a Coronet 500 from the dim past.  Maybe neither, it was like 30 some years ago.  :lol:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 21, 2014, 02:16:35 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 21, 2014, 01:38:12 PM

Make sure that you get the clamp & nut from Six Pack Frank.  :2thumbs:

Mark, whatcha talkin' 'bout? There's a clamp and nut that hold the booster vacuum hose secure?

OK, after some research via MMCDetroit, you mean this? If so, then I'm taking it I only get one clamp since my car isn't a fresh-air car, I would only have the booster hose, not the 2nd forward hose which is most likely the PVC hose on fresh-air cars ( since the PVC was on the driver's side ).

Here's a picture straight out of the service manual......

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 23, 2014, 06:12:35 PM

Here's a picture straight out of the service manual......

Some things are so obvious........ FSM = First Principles
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

2 steps forward, 1 step back....... Changed out the springs in the distributor yesterday ( not a hard task at all )........ Now I get no freakin' spark..........  :brickwall:  Life with old cars........ I'm guess either I have a ground problem or the pick-up messed up. The only thing different about the distributor over yesterday when I started the car and ran it for a wee bit is the freakin' light springs.. Maybe the distributor body isn't getting a good ground. I'll troubleshoot some more when I get home from work......
Troy

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 25, 2014, 06:36:37 AM
  Life with old cars........

And to think, in the early-mid 80's, I would drive my old Hemi Charger to meets as far away as Pittsburg & to the Mopar Nats (twice) at the Proving Grounds in Michigan. Not any more. 

Ghoste

I likely have pics of it from those proving grounds years.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 25, 2014, 08:09:50 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on July 25, 2014, 06:36:37 AM
 Life with old cars........

And to think, in the early-mid 80's, I would drive my old Hemi Charger to meets as far away as Pittsburg & to the Mopar Nats (twice) at the Proving Grounds in Michigan. Not any more.  

Yeap... Exactly........... my 69 Road Runner, '70 v-code Charger R/T and '71 survivor Charger R/T all shared duties as my daily drivers...... I would jump in the '70 and drive 900 miles with 4.10's and not think twice about it............ Amazing what time ( ie, getting older and traveling with a family ) can do to one's perspective on things like "shows"...........

No peer pressure here..... Long trips = air conditioned truck and trailer.................... There were a couple of times that guys who gave me a hard time about trailering ended up having to use the very trailer my car was on coming home from a show...... Funny how those things work out.  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

ws23rt

I drove these cars all the time in the 70s & 80s. They were then as they are today but then they were rather new and current.  Worrying that they may strand us was not something that sticks in my mind as a big concern. And back then if their was trouble on the road we had no cell phones to help.
I had a AAA card and never had to use it with my mopars.  (other car brands made my investment in the card worthwhile).
Some of us older folks may remember the days when hitchhiking was common and other drivers would stop to ask if they could help or give a lift to the nearest ---phone booth---
I never felt handicapped or stressed driving my mopars. :2thumbs:

69_500

I do not know what you guys worry about. I am going to be loading up my 500 here in about 8 hours for a 4 hour drive tomorrow. Headed off to Michigan for the weekend, with just me and Dakota and a small tool box in case something goes wrong. In the last 10 years I have put 12,000 miles on my 500. Only had it break down on me once, and that was a broken bolt on the caliper that had me stranded for a few hours. I intend on jumping in the car and cruising down to Talladega again this fall as well. I say drive them. What fun is it when its on the trailer.  :nana:

Mytur Binsdirti

I'd still take a four hour drive which is only a couple hundred miles, but I wouldn't take another 12+ hour drive in one.  If you recall, back in the late 70s-mid 80s, the cars from that era were crap which made muscle cars still desirable to drive (at least to us gearheads). I'm really not so much worrying about a break down; it's just more of a comfort factor. Hot sweaty vinyl seats, 90 degree wind blasting at you through open windows on the highway & lousy AM radios have given way to today's comfy seats, air conditioning, and satellite radio.

Although I really love my 68 Hemi Charger, I'm finding that the '69 383 Charger is a much more pleasurable car to drive this summer, because it's smoother, quieter and has a/c.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 26, 2014, 05:16:23 AM

Although I really love my 68 Hemi Charger, I'm finding that the '69 383 Charger is a much more pleasurable car to drive this summer, because it's smoother, quieter and has a/c.

Here here........ For me, it was the fact I didn't want to be stranded with a brand new baby 8 years ago and now it has gotten a wee bit more comfortable.... 4 hour drives are cool, beyond that, I start to think about the trailer.... Danny, you're a young whipper-snapper punk.......   :icon_smile_big:
Troy

Ghoste

All very understandable.  I think however, I'm going to take inspiration from gymratt30 and drive the Six Pack out to the left coast next summer. :scratchchin:

69_500

I like being the young punk. Was wrong on time though. Been driving for 2 1/2 hours, still have 3 hours to go according to Gps. Oh well

Ghoste

Depends on your speed traffic when you get closer to Ann Arbor but you must be near Fort Wayne by now, no?  Because it shouldn't be too much more than a couple of hours from there.  Plymouth is on your side of metro Motown as you are coming in.

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi68charger

OK, back to Elephant......... Got her started....... It was a bad coil......... Swapped out the Flame Thrower Pertronix I had from the C500 to troubleshoot and voila, it started......

:2thumbs:
Troy

Charger-Bodie

Just don't leave the flamethrower on there. It's not on the ok list for msd.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on July 26, 2014, 03:58:10 PM
Just don't leave the flamethrower on there. It's not on the ok list for msd.

Roger.....

I put the Blaster on the C500 and it started up without a hitch...... So, now I'm scratching my head on what the problem was...  I put the MSD Blaster back on the 426 and she fired right up........ Lordy !!!

So, I took that as a cue. I reinstalled the electronic I had with the light springs back in the motor. Had Jacob fire it up and set the total degree advance to 32 for starters.. Man, that motor with the open headers sounds like a BEAST !!!! Something about a 2nd Generation HEMI that makes the sound so much louder and meaner than any other motor, guess its the efficiency of those heads.....     :2thumbs:

I should be getting the QTP electric dumps soon and off to the exhaust shop. I am hoping Friday I can do that........
Troy