News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What kind of spark plugs does everyone prefer?

Started by resq302, March 07, 2006, 08:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Well... it is time to change out my plugs as I do once a year on my antique getting it ready for the up coming show season.   I normally run Autolite plugs as I have had pretty good results with them and they seem to fire better if they get a little wet with gas compared to the original Champions.  I am curious to find out what everyone else is running and what kind of results everyone else has had with their brand of choice of spark plugs.  My engine in my charger is a 383 HP 4 bbl engine and am currently using the standard Autolite #85 plugs. 

Is there any other plug that might be better or give a better performance? 

:popcrn:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ds69rt

try NGK -I'VE USED THEM FOR QUITE A WHILE & NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. I HAD A HEMI ROADRUNNER THAT USED TO EAT PLUGS ABOUT EVERY 1500 MILES. I PUT IN THE NGK'S & NEVER HAD ANOTHER PROBLEM .

KMPX2

I know 2 different guys that have done dyno tests on plugs & both came to the same results. Buy cheap & change often. When pressed hard for one brand both went with NKG

TruckDriver

Autolite is the ONLY plug I will run. Champion plugs are JUNK. I  have seen people buy them and have dead plugs new out of the box several times.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Nacho-RT74

I'm using J12YC Champion... I can't find RJ12YC Champion plugs down here, but I have known that only difference is RJs have a resistance to save from Radio interferences... Is that true ?

wish to know similar spark plugs in another brands to test them someday and check fro differences.
Thanks.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

blackcharger

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on March 07, 2006, 10:22:53 AM
Autolite is the ONLY plug I will run. Champion plugs are JUNK. I  have seen people buy them and have dead plugs new out of the box several times.

a buddy of mine has had the same problem, but I've run Champs since '80 without any trouble.

Dave

resq302

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 07, 2006, 10:51:09 AM
I'm using J12YC Champion... I can't find RJ12YC Champion plugs down here, but I have known that only difference is RJs have a resistance to save from Radio interferences... Is that true ?

wish to know similar spark plugs in another brands to test them someday and check fro differences.
Thanks.

On the Champion spark plugs, the R from what I heard stands for Resistor.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

chargerboy69

Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

ChargerRob

What is the number of the NGK spark plug I would need to buy for my 69 440?  ???

Thanks, Robert
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: resq302 on March 07, 2006, 11:04:11 AM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 07, 2006, 10:51:09 AM

Thanks.

On the Champion spark plugs, the R from what I heard stands for Resistor.

That's what Im saying... so is true and there is no difference between RJs and Js about engine function itself and is for block radio electrical interferences ?

Quote from: ChargerRob on March 07, 2006, 12:51:22 PM
What is the number of the NGK spark plug I would need to buy for my 69 440? ???

Thanks, Robert

I ask the same about every spark plug brand to 400s, what is of course the same spark plug as far I know
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Slowpoke

On plugs I've had the opposite problem. Champions run great and the one time I ran Autolite it ran awful.
Oh my enginge is a slightly beefed up 440 by the way.
So I would chalk it up to just what the engine likes , they can be tempermental beasts . :)
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

beenaround

accell or champion,autolites never worked for me.

greenpigs

Not good luck using:

Accell
Autolite
AC Delco

What seems to work:

Champion

I will try NGK next time & I used the recommended heat range for my 440 since it is mostly stock.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

66ragtop

Need Beer!  66 coronet 440 convertible, 99 ram 2500 cummins, 99 plymouth breeze, Dog (Bree) Ameri-Camp 32 ft. travel trailer (hence cummins)

SeattleCharger

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on March 07, 2006, 10:22:53 AM

Really?    I figured champions were the better one, and autolites were the cheap ones.   I just tuned up my Bronco with champions, the old plugs were way bad and two were even really loose, the champions didn't even make it run better,  :icon_smile_blackeye:    If I do it again I will use bosch platinum probably, I don't know.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

rt green

interesting note about sparkplugs. champion sparkplugs were inventrd by albert champion.  after he sold the company, he went to work for delco. hence the name ac delco.   
third string oil changer

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 07, 2006, 07:07:57 PM
NGK works for me  ;D

Ron

same here, the thing ive found with ngk's is they are a little easier to read, they seem to color better.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Headrope

I'm just getting to enjoy my Charger again, but what I used to do was change the plugs each summer. I'd buy whatever brand was "new" and "the best."
A new set of plugs is less expensive than a full tank of gas, and guarantees you'll be able to read them.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

72_rallye

I have Splitfires in my 400 and have not had any troubles,,,,,,I will try NGK's next time though,,,,,anyone else using splitfires ?

700HPCharger

Just 6T9 CHGR

I hgave the Bosch Platniums in the 440 right now but it was recommended I switch back to the Autolite 85's

I was told the platnium plug was not good for an iron headed car because of a heat build up issue????

I recently purchased an FBO ign kit and the 85's are the recommended plug......cheap enough to try them again...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

MoparGuy

Sounds like NGK's are the most used or will use next time on this chat board!  Any ideas on the number of the NGK spark plug I'd need for a 68 383-4? 
Thanks

firefighter3931

Quote from: MoparGuy on March 08, 2006, 09:02:53 PM
Sounds like NGK's are the most used or will use next time on this chat board!  Any ideas on the number of the NGK spark plug I'd need for a 68 383-4? 
Thanks

I'm assuming you're using the factory heads....if so, the NGK XR5 is what i would use on that engine.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

MoparGuy

Thanks Ron, As far as I know they're the factory heads!  Just went surfing  & stumbled across this web site (NGK) that looks at spark plug part number info & it has a huge cross reference to many other manufacturers of plugs.  It's worth a look if you want to compare, the web site is  http://home.att.net/~ngkaz/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Thanks again.

Chryco Psycho