News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why does my exhaust always blow water out? Beyond condensation.....

Started by Skull-1, January 07, 2014, 05:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skull-1

This car eats exhaust pipes like nobody's business.  I realize fully heated exhaust pipes will create condensation as they cool but this is unreal and always has been.   The exhaust system winds up rotting out from it.

Is there anything to help that?   Weepholes perhaps?  Or do we just deal with it?   This set is stainless steel and I see rust on the inside.  Plenty of metal left but for next time.....

Interestingly, my 1992 Buick is still on its original exhaust after 400k miles.....  Makes me think it is the material used not the condensation.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

A383Wing

how far are you driving it? Short trips not allowing the engine to get all the water & condensation out of the pipes will be a problem if it's not getting completely hot.

My Mom has a 92 Mazda with less than 60K on the odometer, I have had to replace 3 mufflers & one middle exhaust pipe over the last 10 years now because she never drives it enough to get the water out.

Also, when the fuel is burnt in the combustion chamber, it makes a small amount of water into the exhaust.

Skull-1

Quote from: A383Wing on January 07, 2014, 05:33:59 PM
how far are you driving it? Short trips not allowing the engine to get all the water & condensation out of the pipes will be a problem if it's not getting completely hot.

My Mom has a 92 Mazda with less than 60K on the odometer, I have had to replace 3 mufflers & one middle exhaust pipe over the last 10 years now because she never drives it enough to get the water out.

Also, when the fuel is burnt in the combustion chamber, it makes a small amount of water into the exhaust.

I could drive it clear across Texas.   Same issue.  Distance never seems to matter.   It will clear all the water out and then....on the next start....it is dripping until it fully heats up.     It is bizarre.   The car has always been this way.  It had single exhaust originally but my old man switched it over to dual    Maybe that's part of it.   ?????

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

fy469rtse

Are you topping up radiator regularly , if using a lot of water, start investigating possible causes, is it getting any water or coolant in oil ?
Steel heads, have head bolts been torqued, checked down to torque settings ?

Skull-1

Quote from: fy469rtse on January 07, 2014, 06:40:01 PM
Are you topping up radiator regularly , if using a lot of water, start investigating possible causes, is it getting any water or coolant in oil ?
Steel heads, have head bolts been torqued, checked down to torque settings ?

It is nothing like that.  Car has never had coolant leak issues.  Engine has been rebuilt twice now.  No difference.  I never have to add coolant.   It runs great.  I wonder if the exhaust is cooling by the time it exits the pipes and creating water vapor.  Or else it gets so hot that it generates a lot of condensation while cooling down and thus I will always have the issue.

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Back N Black

Gasoline is made up of carbon and hydrogen. When you burn it, it combines with oxygen to form carbon dioxide and water. In the combustion chamber, that water is a gas (steam). If the exhaust system is cold, some of the water will condense to form liquid water, and that's what you see coming from the exhaust. The more complete the combustion, the more water is produced.

A383Wing

Skull-1

Quote from: A383Wing on January 07, 2014, 07:11:02 PM
yea..so basically, it's normal

Which begs the question why my Buick doesn't do the same thing.  Is it the catalytic converter on the newer car?

Vapor is expected but dripping out of the pipe????   And rusting them out two or three times over?

I just wonder if I have something wrong with my exhaust setup....

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

myk

There's something going on there; the 'OP has stated that driving the car long or short distances still causes the same problem.  No car should ever "eat" exhaust components, even if it's only ever driven short distances...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Skull-1

Quote from: myk on January 07, 2014, 07:50:43 PM
There's something going on there; the 'OP has stated that driving the car long or short distances still causes the same problem.  No car should ever "eat" exhaust components, even if it's only ever driven short distances...

I've also noticed it will "spit" out black spots...almost like carbon...for a little while after starting.   Just little black dots on the concrete below the tailpipe.   Mixture issue?

It has a 4bbl and electronic ignition.  Had the same thing with points and a 2 bbl fwiw....

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

ws23rt

Water comes from somewhere.  If the amount you are seeing is more than what is considered normal than where is it coming from?

If the cooling system has been eliminated than what is left is what goes in the intake. If water is coming out it must have come in.

One thing about ethanol is that it will absorb water. A possibility that comes to mind is the tank is extra prone to condensation. Another is you are buying water at the price of gas at your local refueling station. :shruggy:

A383Wing

No car should ever "eat" exhaust components, even if it's only ever driven short distances...

B.S....water or vapor sitting in an exhaust system will eat it up...heat, H2O, and oxygen will do a lot of damage

a lot of mufflers now have a hole punched in the end at it's lowest point to force the water out before it gets to the pipes...and mufflers farther back are more prone to rot faster than ones up close to engine because they do not get as hot to evaporate the water....I have put many mufflers on and seen no small punched holes, so I made one with a hammer & punch

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on January 07, 2014, 08:22:49 PM
No car should ever "eat" exhaust components, even if it's only ever driven short distances...

B.S....water or vapor sitting in an exhaust system will eat it up...heat, H2O, and oxygen will do a lot of damage

I agree.  Unless you have a full stainless system it will rust away. Even galvanized will go away because it is not a perfect protection for the steel.
Weep holes will help but if they are not in all the lowest spots water will pool :eek2:

Also pooled water will keep the humidity high feeding the rust monster on all surfaces.

jdscofield

MOPAR or no car

Skull-1

My pipes are stainless.

Am gonna crawl under it and take pics tomorrow.  Perhaps my mufflers need to be moved....

And yes, bad gas could be a problem.   Could my fuel mixture be too rich?

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Skull-1

Quote from: jdscofield on January 07, 2014, 08:36:41 PM
Are you sure you don't have a head gasket leak? 

Yes.  I have never had a head gasket issue.  I have ruled that out.  The cooling system is tight.  No leaks.  No coolant loss. 

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

A383Wing

If there was a coolant leak, and if he is running anti-freeze, the smoke out the back would be white and have a sweet smell to it....if it's a light grey-ish color, it's just normal condensation.

What size exhaust in on this car?

Skull-1

Quote from: A383Wing on January 07, 2014, 08:42:49 PM
If there was a coolant leak, and if he is running anti-freeze, the smoke out the back would be white and have a sweet smell to it....if it's a light grey-ish color, it's just normal condensation.

What size exhaust in on this car?

Light grey.  Diminishes as it warms up.   Similar to an F-150.

Size as in diameter?   I will have to take the tape measure to it. Been so long since I had this set put in.

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Cooter

Take drift and knock small drain holes in bottom CENTER of front AND REAR of mufflers. Most all newer cars have these to combat this.
Water in exhaust is normal. Dont freak out. Just be glad those black spots don't get on chrome bumpers. PITA to get off.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

Quote from: Cooter on January 07, 2014, 08:55:46 PM
Take drift and knock smal drain holes in bottom CENTER of front AND REAR of mufflers. Most all newer cars have these to combat thu s.
Water in exhaust is normal. Dont freak out. Just be glad those black spots don't get on chrome bumpers. PITA to get off.

yea, thanks Cooter..kinda what I was trying to say...I think I did...kinda....I worked in a muffler shop years ago, and the mufflers that did not have the drain holes in them had to putone or two in there before car left the shop...

you would be surprised at the amount of water that mufflers hold

Skull-1

Quote from: A383Wing on January 07, 2014, 09:06:07 PM
Quote from: Cooter on January 07, 2014, 08:55:46 PM
Take drift and knock smal drain holes in bottom CENTER of front AND REAR of mufflers. Most all newer cars have these to combat thu s.

yea, thanks Cooter..kinda what I was trying to say...I think I did...kinda....I worked in a muffler shop years ago, and the mufflers that did not have the drain holes in them had to putone or two in there before car left the shop...

you would be surprised at the amount of water that mufflers hold

There is safety in numbers lol.   Thanks to all.  Will take a look at this tomorrow.   I am not gonna wind up with useless mufflers I hope.  I can be deadly with a drill. 

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

cudaken

Skull, I think all the Buick's are causing the problem! :nana:

Mom and Dad bought my 68 Road Runner new. Dad had to replaces the mufflers and rear tail pipes around 30,000 miles. I got the Road Runner with 43,000 miles and had to replaces the whole system at 70,000.

After that I was racing the car so exhaust was changed regularly for different engines and header set ups. So after that mileage marks don't count.

One of the ways to make exhaust last longer is to make the exhaust shop bend the pipes, don't use prebent exhaust pipes. The sticks (Pipes) they use are thicker and will last longer. I ran a few Midas exhaust shops and learned that trick.

Now far as water dripping and the black soot water drops?  :scratchchin: Seems pretty normal to me. If I rev mine up after a few seconds of running I can blow a good deal of water drops out of the exhaust.

Yes, the Cats on the Buick's :eek2: will heat the exhaust more so the water stays in a vapor form longer, so no droplets. Other thing is the factory pipes are thicker then the after market prebent pipes, so they last longer.

Cuda Ken, 400,000 miles of Mopar under my happy butt.  :drive:

I am back

Skull-1

Quote from: cudaken on January 07, 2014, 09:51:55 PM

Skull, I think all the Buick's are causing the problem! :nana:

Mom and Dad bought my 68 Road Runner new. Dad had to replaces the mufflers and rear tail pipes around 30,000 miles. I got the Road Runner with 43,000 miles and had to replaces the whole system at 70,000.

After that I was racing the car so exhaust was changed regularly for different engines and header set ups. So after that mileage marks don't count.

One of the ways to make exhaust last longer is to make the exhaust shop bend the pipes, don't use prebent exhaust pipes. The sticks (Pipes) they use are thicker and will last longer. I ran a few Midas exhaust shops and learned that trick.

Now far as water dripping and the black soot water drops?  :scratchchin: Seems pretty normal to me. If I rev mine up after a few seconds of running I can blow a good deal of water drops out of the exhaust.

Yes, the Cats on the Buick's :eek2: will heat the exhaust more so the water stays in a vapor form longer, so no droplets. Other thing is the factory pipes are thicket then the after market prebent pipes, so they last longer.

Cuda Ken, 400,000 miles of Mopar under my happy butt.  :drive:

Lmao!  Too funny.  :)

I love my Charger but I have never seen anything as durable as a 1991-1995 Regal, and with the intake fix, the 1996 model.   These things are insane.  405k, 284k, 210k, and 170k.   1992, 1991, 1995, and 1996 respectively.

I remember you from somewhere.  Mopar Mailing List maybe?   Or here if not there.  You have helped me in the past.

When I rev I can get vapor to come out, too.  I guess this is just the way these cars were.   Will keep all this in mind when the time comes to replace these pipes.  Hoping stainless steel will hold up better than what we were using before.....

*salute*

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Mopar Nut

Is this your first time using stainless steel? And is the whole system stainless steel now? 
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

1974dodgecharger

How can I create this water problem if this normal and means complete combustion? None of my cRs do it not even the 68.  Am I not doing complete burns if I dont spit out water?