News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

classic industries package tray?

Started by moparnut, January 11, 2014, 08:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnut

Need to order the dark blue package tray for my 69.Anyone ordered one before thru them  (classic industries)? The last one I bought about 10 years ago was not even close.At the time the order was thru the Paddock made by legendary.The tray Im looking at has the speaker wholes already cut out.   moparnut

Ghoste

I wouldn`t be surprised the Classic one is from Legendary as well but I thought Legendary made them with or without speaker holes.

Lord Warlock

I've got one from legendary that has speaker holes already cut in it, and it fits fine. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

resq302

Check with ECS as they were supposed to be making the factory correct package trays with the correct number of holes for the speaker cut outs.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

moparnut

Thanks for the replies,Will check with ECS.I did notice that they were available withot the speaker cutouts(ten dollars cheaper).My car has the rear window defroster did not see any mention for that option. According to classic industries photo the package trays look alot closer to the factory. Ten years ago you got a peice of material bigger than you needed and had to trim to fit.

John L

Quote from: moparnut on January 12, 2014, 07:05:57 AM
Thanks for the replies,Will check with ECS.I did notice that they were available withot the speaker cutouts(ten dollars cheaper).My car has the rear window defroster did not see any mention for that option. According to classic industries photo the package trays look alot closer to the factory. Ten years ago you got a peice of material bigger than you needed and had to trim to fit.
Moparnut,
I do not believe you will find a package tray with the cutout for the rear window defroster option. I have the same option on my car and had to do the cutout myself, it's not a hard job. Measure twice cut once and you will be fine.

John

jaak

I bought one from Classic Industries. It was an REM brand I believe. It wasn't the kind with speaker holes. It fit fine, in fact it was one of the very few repro parts that fit well. Repop parts suck....I'd rather have a flawed original part over a perfect repop.

Jason

tan top

Quote from: jaak on January 12, 2014, 07:06:55 PM
I bought one from Classic Industries. It was an REM brand I believe. It wasn't the kind with speaker holes. It fit fine, in fact it was one of the very few repro parts that fit well. Repop parts suck....I'd rather have a flawed original part over a perfect repop.

Jason

think mine was REM  , or something  similar   got it from yearone  , thought it was a good fit , & nice product  :yesnod: , although was 14 / 15 years ago since I bought it , could well of changed suppliers since them  :P
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

I was going to order one from Classic but they had no Bright Blue in stock.... :scratchchin:

moparnut

B5 blue , only noticed light blue and dark blue,at classic industries.Was bright blue another option?Will need to check ,would not want to order the wrong color. Atleast now they are no longer classified as over size for shipping.Ten years ago when I received the first one it would of been sent back but shipping was more than the tray.

b5blue

REMsales

If it is one of our trays that Classic Industries is selling, these are the blue colors we offer....   hope this helps.

Ghoste

You don't know if you supply them or not?  Do you know if your material is the same as the original equipment?

REMsales

it is possible that they may get their trays from multiple suppliers.  I can't say for sure the tray you buy would from CI is ours or not (you could ask who the manufacturer is).  What I do know, is that those are the 2 blue colors we have for Chrysler vehicle package trays (that classic industries sells).

Ghoste

Fair enough, (especially since I have no knowledge of CI buying practices) are your trays made from the same type of material that Chrysler used?

REMsales

The simple answer is YES. 

The longer answer is YES, it is VERY close.  When comparing it to some of the original trays we've had in for patterning, our material is ever so slightly thinner.  The textured side is very close to the original surface finish as well.   The photo I've attached are of our raw, unfinished / unpainted material.  We have been offering this material for many years now, and are always looking for additional resources.  There may be instances where material was delivered from various suppliers to plants which could have varied back when these cars were still on the line (and even from plant to plant). 

We are always tweaking things and adding new patterns.  For example, it wasn't until 2 years ago that we learned there are (at least) 2 versions of the 68/69 Coronet trunk mat.  The bracing at the rear most part of the trunk, on the tail section, are in different locations when measuring from the center of the trunk to the left and right sides - which when we cut our mats, the material isn't even close to lining up - so we now offer a 2nd design of that mat. 

Hopefully this helps!  I didn't intend for this to get off track, from the original poster looking for the correct shade of blue.

Ghoste

Awesome thanks.  I asked because someone had mentioned getting a repro package tray that was made from a completely different material.

REMsales

no problem. 

I know that one company offers a different version - it has a "leather grain" type finish, it is a panelboard, and is not quite as thick as the material I posted above.  Again, this could be one of those instances where back in the 60's one supplier had part A, while another had part B available...  or an east coast/west coast production... or even Canadian production that caused some of these various discrepancies.

I can't say with 100% certainty that either is correct OR incorrect since I wasn't there originally... but from everything that we here have seen, personally pulled from cars, had sent in, or owned low mileage original cars, the material I show above is what was in the vast majority of Chargers.   :2thumbs: 

Brock Lee

I have seen the original material also used for factory Van headliners. The new stuff isn't 100% exact in texture or thickness to 1969, but it appears that is what the material evolved into over time.

b5blue

But no Bright Blue? (B5 Blue) I may just carpet mine.... :o

moparnut

Not sure on the other cars with the interior colors being the same or not. Was the interior the same when you got a b5 car with the blue interior? I ordered the darker shade of blue,it seems to match the new headliner and carpet better.Should have it in a few days will post a picture of it when it is  installed.

b5blue

My car is B5 inside and out. (70) Dash and some other stuff is Dark blue but mostly B5. My "problem" is only that B5 is my favorite color!  :lol:

sanders7981

Got mine from CI couple months ago, it was an REM tray with speaker holes.  Looks sturdy, and well made.  I should have it in the charger in the next week or two.  Then I can talk about fitment.  

moparnut

Just received mine ,the color matches the new carpet and headliner .Will be taking it up to the car today.  moparnut