News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Dodge Charger RT (440) gear ratio

Started by erlendch, January 23, 2014, 05:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erlendch

I'm changing gear ratio on my car, its a 440 with 727 trans, as currently is very low and it sounds like it is about to take off when I'm cruising on the high way.

Which one of these do you recommend?

60mph/2486rpm - 70mph/2901rpm  w/3.23 gear set
60mph/2125rpm - 70mph/2479rpm  w/2.76 gear set

Overdrive is not an option, unless anyone know I way to get a good reliable option for less than 4 grand both parts and work included.

My tires are 15 inch. Pic of car below.

Mike DC

There is also a 2.94 ratio for the 8.75" rearend, falling in between the two ratios you are already considering.

Baldwinvette77

i have a 2.73 in my olds, it still beats most late models off the line, and cruises 70 at like 2200

also why don't you want an overdrive? i think a company call gear vendors makes a bolt on overdrive for a 727, costs less than 4 grand im sure  :shruggy:

Cooter

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on January 23, 2014, 07:00:20 AM
i have a 2.73 in my olds, it still beats most late models off the line, and cruises 70 at like 2200

also why don't you want an overdrive? i think a company call gear vendors makes a bolt on overdrive for a 727, costs less than 4 grand im sure  :shruggy:

the GV unit by the time it's installed and everything is way over $4k
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

Quote from: Cooter on January 23, 2014, 07:26:08 AM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on January 23, 2014, 07:00:20 AM

If KITCHEN, the GV unit by the time it's installed and everything is way over $4k

Absolutely.  :yesnod:
GV units are just that: the unit. It doesn't include things like the shorter driveshaft, torque convertor, cooler, lines, etc. If you have an X-pipe, it won't work with that, either.
Do you know what gear you have in it now?
A 2:94 or 3:23 might offer you the best compromise.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

cudaken

I ran the 2.76 gears and love them on the interstate.  :2thumbs:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

What ratio is in the car now, what rpm at those speeds currently?

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: erlendch on January 23, 2014, 05:06:45 AM
I'm changing gear ratio on my car, its a 440 with 727 trans, as currently is very low and it sounds like it is about to take off when I'm cruising on the high way.

Which one of these do you recommend?

60mph/2486rpm - 70mph/2901rpm  w/3.23 gear set
60mph/2125rpm - 70mph/2479rpm  w/2.76 gear set

Overdrive is not an option, unless anyone know I way to get a good reliable option for less than 4 grand both parts and work included.

My tires are 15 inch. Pic of car below.

First off, beautiful car. I like the color. To answer your question, it really depends on what kind of driving you like to do. I think a 3.23 gear is fine for most interstate driving while still retaining respectable off the line (1/4 mile) performance. Especially if you're running a 15" tire that is a 245 or taller, and if your engine is stock or slightly warmed over.

If you have a really modified high HP engine, then you can easily run the higher gears without fear of loss of acceleration. Of course, what's acceptable is up to you. If you do mostly highway driving or a lot of long distance driving and MPG or less wear on the engine is most important, then I'd consider the 2.94 or 2.76. I think either would provide acceptable rpm's and performance on the interstate. Good luck and please let us know what you decide to do and how it works out.

Randy
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Homerr

Isn't 3.23 the tallest with Sure-Grip?  And 2.94 and 2.76 are open only?  I mention in case getting the power down is an issue.

moparnut

Have 3;23 IN MY 69 383 hp 4SPD. Was looking to go 3;53 or more possibly. What case numbers does your rearend have and what gears? I have a 2;76 sure grip out of a cuda,its a 489 case. The cuda rearend is complete ,fresh clean fluid and stored inside.Maybe we good make a trade. moparnut

tan top

Quote from: Homerr on January 23, 2014, 04:59:42 PM
Isn't 3.23 the tallest with Sure-Grip?  And 2.94 and 2.76 are open only?  I mention in case getting the power down is an issue.

nooo got 2:94 with a suregrip  , in a 742 centre section
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dreamcar

They are in Canada, but they use the GV unit. It starts at 2900 if you already have a 727. I only mention them because they are only a few hours from me and if I go with a GV unit, I'm likely calling them:

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id32.html

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Sublime/Sixpack

Nice car erlendch,
I'd go with the 3.23 gears, it's a very sensible ratio. But if most (90%) of your driving is going to be on the highway/interstate I'd go with the 2.76 gears.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak