News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seat belt conversion -- WESCO PERFORMANCE --

Started by sanders7981, February 15, 2014, 03:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

I have searched through some of the older posts and online for saddle/tan colored seat belts.  I found a couple, but the actual hardware/retractors are all black.  Which would clash with my saddle interior.  I found this set over on retro belts.com... Think it would work?  I would like to get the push button style buckles instead of the clasp type.  Wife feels more comfortable with "modern" style over the old.  

http://www.retrobeltusa.com/product-p/rb-6475gmkt-xxx-be.htm

I DID NOT USE RETRO BELTS. 

sanders7981

Ended up ordering a set from wescoperformance.  I bought two long sash style three point belts from the front buckets, and two roadster style three point belts for the rear bench.   Will post up pics when I get them! 

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

Al

1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

sanders7981

Seat belts came in today, I will install them this weekend.  Here is a pic for color comparison.  I laid them out with the PUI saddle vinyl, the darker saddle vinyl I bought from Hancock fabrics, and the buckskin headliner off ebay.  Pics are with and without flash to get a good idea about the colors.  

First impressions are this is a great affordable setup!  $302 for everything pictured (belts and mounting hardware).  Granted that the shoulder belt sash buckle is black, the rubber sash covers about half of it and it can be dyed to match with a little masking so the dye doesn't get on the belt.  Not sure how it would hold up with the rubbing over time, but it's still worth the price.  Saved $230 using wescoperformance over seatbelts plus, who also didn't have matching plastic covering with theirs.  The older metal push button buckles were a $5 dollar upgrade.  They also offer modern push button type as well. 

jaak

Can't wait to see the install  :2thumbs:

Jason

JB400

Dino

Sweet!  I've been looking at those belts for years now.  I'm going with the convertible kit so I can bolt the top anchor to the upper rear pad (customized to fit).
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

sanders7981

That's an interesting mounting location... I saw that a few others had mounted to the stick package tray locations, so I went with the roadster belts.  Although I am visualizing what you are saying and where it can be mounted, I imagine you are. Referring to where the screw secures the rear door pad into the inner shell frame.  That should work pretty good and be at a decent shoulder height for passengers.

Dino

Quote from: sanders7981 on March 01, 2014, 10:50:48 AM
That's an interesting mounting location... I saw that a few others had mounted to the stick package tray locations, so I went with the roadster belts.  Although I am visualizing what you are saying and where it can be mounted, I imagine you are. Referring to where the screw secures the rear door pad into the inner shell frame.  That should work pretty good and be at a decent shoulder height for passengers.

You got it!  However, it will require quite a bit more work than your plan.  Either should work and look great, can't wait to see those belts in your car.   :2thumbs:

Al

1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

sanders7981

Quote from: Al on March 05, 2014, 10:08:32 AM
Any news so far?

Sorry for the delay, just been pretty busy this week.  I did get it all installed with no issues.  After some thought on how I wanted to mount the retractors, it was a breeze installing.  Instead of mounting the rear seatbelt retractors on the package tray shelf, I mounted them to the very rear of the floor pan near where it meets the trunk pan (Pic 1, 2, 3).  The package tray shelf had slots in which the seat belts could pass through, but I had to cut slots into the package tray.  I used a dremel tool to do this, then I lined the inside edge of the package tray shelf with a small piece of left over vinyl to keep the belt from wearing out on the metal.  I plan to get some plastic escutcheons to cover up the package tray cuts to clean it up. (Pic 4)   For the front, I moved the seat back as far as it would go, then tucked the front seatbelt retractors as close to the seat tracks, about 1-2 inches, and along the edge of the floor pan.  (Pic 5).  Instead of mounting the opposite end of the seatbelt to the retractor bolt where I drilled a hole in the floor pan, I used the original seatbelt mounting locations along the sides, floor and roof mounts.  The floor pan is reinforced with mounting brackets that came in the kit.   

Pic 1 - Rear passenger

Pic 2 Rear driver side

Pic 3 - Trunk shot

Pic 4 - Package Tray Slot with vinyl

Pic 5 Front Belt

Rear Seat

jaak

Dino

Carrnutt

Look great!!!   :2thumbs:

Looks like I will be ordering a set of these, especially since they match well against our saddle interiors.

A few questions if you don't mind:

The only holes you added for mounting were for the front & rear re-tractors on the floor? Would the front re-tractors not fit mounted in the the original spot (where you have the other end)?

The front upper sashes look a just a tad bit long for my tastes, but is that what you feel is required for the belt placement not to be around our necks? How about the fixed ends. do the 11" work well or do you think 8" would be better? Sucks that they only come in black...

Did you order the Color Tan #3000?

Thanks and, again AWESOME JOB!!!  :cheers:
1969 Rest-O-Fied Charger 383HP, Disc brake conversion, electronic ignition.
1993 D350 Curmmins
2006 Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Ram 3500 Cummins

sanders7981

Quote from: Carrnutt on March 09, 2014, 10:09:20 PM
Look great!!!   :2thumbs:

Looks like I will be ordering a set of these, especially since they match well against our saddle interiors.

A few questions if you don't mind:

The only holes you added for mounting were for the front & rear re-tractors on the floor? Would the front re-tractors not fit mounted in the the original spot (where you have the other end)?

The front upper sashes look a just a tad bit long for my tastes, but is that what you feel is required for the belt placement not to be around our necks? How about the fixed ends. do the 11" work well or do you think 8" would be better? Sucks that they only come in black...

Did you order the Color Tan #3000?

Thanks and, again AWESOME JOB!!!  :cheers:

Correct, i only drilled holes for the floor mounted positions.  I thought about the mounting locations and tried with the retractor on the side in the original hole, but there was too much sticking up on the side above the sill plate area.  It looked really bad. That is why I mounted them to the floor.  Looked cleaner IMO. 

I was told that the long sash belts were the ones to get so they don't sit too high around the neck area. 

Also told by WESCO to go with the 11", which sits right with the way the seats are mounted.  8" would be too shrort.

Tan #3000 is what I ordered. 

:cheers:

Carrnutt

Thank you for the response and for doing this, so I know what I'm looking at and how well it will work. :)  now for Father's day to roll around quickly lol
1993 D350 Curmmins
2006 Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Ram 3500 Cummins

fy469rtse

Good job and great timing , I'm getting to the rears now and you have given me some new ideas, o n where to mount seat belts ,  floor perfect place,
Where I can help you now , I went to wrecking yard  and got the parcel plastic guides off the rear parcel shelf boards,
Will help guide the belts over and through parcel shelf board , and a nice smooth edge to the guide, and neat ,

sanders7981

Quote from: fy469rtse on March 10, 2014, 01:31:08 AM
Good job and great timing , I'm getting to the rears now and you have given me some new ideas, o n where to mount seat belts ,  floor perfect place,
Where I can help you now , I went to wrecking yard  and got the parcel plastic guides off the rear parcel shelf boards,
Will help guide the belts over and through parcel shelf board , and a nice smooth edge to the guide, and neat ,

Sweet!  That will really finish off the look! 

Carrnutt

1993 D350 Curmmins
2006 Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Ram 3500 Cummins

sanders7981

Quote from: Carrnutt on March 10, 2014, 09:48:20 PM
Wonder if these would fit...

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=102-SB5

They should.  I saw another thread on here where they were used, but had to be cut.  Either one of two reasons, guy didn't want to remove the belt to install it, or the buckle wouldn't fit through the hole. 

Mopar4me

I did the same setup on my Charger last summer. I always wanted meant to post a write up about it but never got round to it. The only difference I did was I mounted the rear shoulder retractor to the bottom of the package tray after I reinforced it. I just ordered the regular push button style also.

sanders7981

I was going to mount mine to the underside as well, but after thinking about it... I really didn't want the bolts sticking up through the top of the package tray.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, just didn't look as clean IMO.

Mopar4me

Quote from: sanders7981 on March 11, 2014, 08:29:30 PM
I was going to mount mine to the underside as well, but after thinking about it... I really didn't want the bolts sticking up through the top of the package tray.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, just didn't look as clean IMO.
You don't see the bolt's they are covered up by the package tray trim panel.  Just bolted to the metal part.

sanders7981

Hmm...  interesting.  I saw another on here where it was bolted straight through the package tray.   :2thumbs:

fy469rtse

The ones I got, have a look at anything late model, the reason , speed these cars are assembled, got several types off different models, just wasn't sure which would work better, some had slits in them to get over belts and larger holes , and more rounded to where seat belts run over them , these were fitted after seat belts and package tray were fitted
Will post some photos once there in