News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do we need to remove the dash to install a radio?

Started by 2Luke2, April 07, 2014, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Luke2

We got an original radio, but it needs to be installed. What do don't know is if there is a way to install it without removing the dash. We read somewhere that the front window needed to come out to get the dash out, but we were hoping we wouldn't have to do that just to install the radio. The car has A/C/Heat so there are a lot of vents and what not behind the dash. If anyone has done this and could provide some guidance we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Radio can be removed from the instrument cluster side. Cluster has to come out.  Its a major PITA but can be done.  AC cars have the center ductwork needed to be removed also...this all assuming you are working on a second gen...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

2Luke2

ChargerST

IMO it is easier to remove the glove box and fusebox to get access to the radio.

Dino

If you have ANY other work to do under the dash, now is the time because you'll be tearing down quite a bit.  The windshield and dash frame can stay in place though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

2Luke2

We are going to try to go through the glovebox first. just need to do a little wire tracing when we get time to see how the back speakers are/were connected at one point.

twodko

My 69 has two bolts behind the radio bezel and one bolt to a bracket behind the radio.

It seems like it would be easy mounting the radio by just pulling the glove to access that rear bracket?n :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

RECHRGD

I pull one or both seats out before working under there.  Makes it much easier......
13.53 @ 105.32