News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starting New Build 72 Charger Rallye

Started by 72Charger72, April 14, 2014, 10:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerguy74

Yup, those are 72 hideaways. BTW, it's "Rallye" ;) I think that's part of what Acudanut is getting at.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

72Charger72

73charger440

I noticed the missouri  tags , i live in springfield didnt know if we are neighbors

72Charger72

Im in Wentzville...but have alot of 73 parts if your looking...control arms in brand new shape with ball joints..rear window lovers....a couple doors...SE hood ornament

cudaken

7#1ChargerRT#, we are not far from each other, I live in Maryville IL.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Nacho-RT74

steering column(shaft) seems to be from a 74
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

72Charger72

yeah that's a junker they put in so I could stear it off the trailer...I have to give it back...I have my column from my 71

72Charger72

Started inner fender replacement this weekend!.

72Charger-SE

Always great to have progress!  It will be shiny and new shortly - rust all gone.  Oh what a feeling!  :2thumbs:

72Charger72

Yes! I had been looking at those panels for weeks with the news ones in my garage....finally feels like some forward progress getting the old ones off!

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: ottawamerc on April 19, 2014, 02:55:09 PM
Quote from: 7#1ChargerRT# on April 19, 2014, 09:21:45 AM
yeah  :brickwall: and I don't know how to do metal work...

Hey friend go to Canadian Tire or what ever and get a decent 220V mig welder, if I can learn how ANY body can :yesnod: Plus after a couple of welding repairs the welder will pay for its self in money saved by not paying for a welder to do the work. I myself bought a 120V welder years ago trying to save some $$ but for just a bit more or even the same when they go on sale you should get the 220V its much easier to weld with. Lots of how too's on Youtube and endless great advice here too. Just start on places that are not structural or visible till ya get the run of it :Twocents:
Have fun!

Scott :cheers:

Totally agree
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

72Charger72

Thanks I already got one from Craigs list a few weeks back and have been you tubing and practicing on old scrap metal around the garage! Not bad welds are getting better...
It is Argon capable. I bought the gauge I needed for it but havent been able to afford the Tank yet...

72Charger-SE

Quote from: 72Charger72 on August 12, 2014, 10:05:13 AM
Thanks I already got one from Craigs list a few weeks back and have been you tubing and practicing on old scrap metal around the garage! Not bad welds are getting better...
It is Argon capable. I bought the gauge I needed for it but havent been able to afford the Tank yet...

MY OPINION..  (Not worth much but)...  I concur with the others... good buy on the 220v welder!   :2thumbs:  I tried the 'non argon' 120v and wasted a lot of time :brickwall:

Also, in my limited experience, welding with the Argon is much easier than without.  The weld 'pools' and 'gets into' the metal and 'binds' the pieces together.  Save yourself a lot of headaches with having to grind off 'splatter' and frustration with 'breaking welds' and 'burning holes' and such by waiting till you have the Argon tank before you weld the inner fender on your car. 

GOD Bless!

72Charger72

Thanks!72Charger-SE i accept all opinions and help as new as I am to this....
I should have the argon soon and since I have never welded before I figured starting without it and just practice
I have learned already how to see the weld pools ...stay in front, keep the correct angle...figured once I got a little better at that I could waste some gas too  :2thumbs:
It will be awhile before I attempt the panels...I also have floor pans to replace which will be much harder...tried finding some local welding talent that could
help out but havent found any experienced takers just yet LOL

71 SE3834V

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 30, 2014, 11:32:17 AM
71 Hide a ways have smaller rectangular squares than the 72 Hide a ways.  it's not a huge difference, but you can't mix and match them. :Twocents:
But, like it was said. 72 Rally es did have hide a way headlights.  You just had to order them/check the box when ordering it. Two of my 72 Rallyes came with them.  :Twocents:

It's the opposite. '72 has more vertical lines therefore smaller "squares". '71 only has 3 vertical lines in the grill and they don't sit flush w/the horizontal lines. None in the doors. Horizontal lines are chromed as stated. Not sure if the '72 ones are. As stated OP has the '72 setup.
Compare to my '71. 
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

72Charger-SE

Any Updates from the OP?  It's been a LONG TIME! By now the car is probably done and 'Burning Rubber'.... 

ACUDANUT

Hope he is still working on it. FUN POST  :cheers:

72Charger72

AS all good projects go I have been side lined for a while but Im getting back to it. I did get the inner fender panels removed and the engine compartment primed...
but I am on hold for the sand blasting and body repair and welding required to move forward. So I am now thinking I might as well replace the old 72 Rallye suspension with some modern upgrades? I was going to put my 73 suspension on this but figure its tore down now is the time to do it......Any recommendations? As we all know the steering and front end on these could use some improvement.

RallyeMike

The 73 suspension is very different from 72 and earlier.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

72Charger72

Thanks RallyeMike I wasnt sure if the 73 would work but even so upgrading would be better. Any recommendations?

RallyeMike

What do what you want to achieve - Are looking to go with an improved stock style suspension or looking at aftermarket components mild to wild? If you are looking for something that is more than a heavy duty upgrade to the stock style suspension, others will be better able to provide experienced feedback. You might even want to pose the question in the Suspension section for a targeted response.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

72Charger72

Thanks RallyeMike
Definitely want to improve on the Stock style but leaning towards med after market type components. Interested in what others have done.
I also posted in suspension section.

72Charger72

After doing some reading up here http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=95660.0

Im thinking a stock upgrade and new Borgeson stearing box might do the trick. Bermanautocraft.com has some pretty good prices. Anyone use there parts yets?

ACUDANUT

IMO, 71-72, Steering is just fine as is. Save your money for other upgrades,

72Charger72

After a year delay finally removed the front and rear windshields, side vent windows, and doors....ready for media blasting! I still wish I could dip it but the only two places I have heard of in the Stl area never answer their phones and I have a media blast guy right in town. He also said he could spray with the raptor underbody coating when done. Ahhhh Progress feels good again!