News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

glove box lock

Started by 74charger07ram, April 30, 2014, 01:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74charger07ram

Does anyone know how to remove the glove box door lock from a 74 Charger? I have taken the two screws out from the back side. I do not see any type of clip or pin holding it on. Thanks :brickwall:

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

74charger07ram

hey thanks alot. bad thing is I don't have a key. be going to locksmith soon.

ODZKing

Here is a couple of other shots I saved from somewhere.

Ghoste

I never would have ever found that.  Not currently looking to remove one like the OP but thanks ODZ because you just never know.

The70RT

I seen other threads and understand you have to push the retainer through the small opening, but I cant lock it because I don't have a key :scratchchin:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

If you can get it out though, a locksmith should be able to make it match your trunk key.

Alaskan_TA

Take the whole glove box door to your locksmith.

The70RT

I don't have the key so I hope they can remove the cylinder. I have a lock tumbler kit so I can make the lock fit my trunk key. I guess someone changed one or the other out a long time ago since they don't match. Thanks guys.

Ghoste

Now I understand, I was a step behind you there, sorry.

b5blue

Use your trunk key if it's like my 70 Charger, you just put the key in and move the latch to the extreme end of travel and the knob releases. It's sooo simple!

Ghoste

Thats where I was off, he has no key to do that with.

b5blue

The key need not "Work" the lock, just fit the slot.  :yesnod:

The70RT

Quote from: b5blue on July 04, 2014, 07:38:07 AM
The need not "Work" the lock, just fit the slot.  :yesnod:

Oh okay, I can give it another try but it wouldn't depress with the key I was using.

b5blue

The latch is so simple, you'll see when it slides out.

oldcarnut

b5blue

Put a key in the slot. Pull the latch all the way back and the key/knob/lock assembly will pull out of the front of the door.

oldcarnut

I fought mine for a long time to get out.  After applying a little wd40 it loosened up some.  With a little wiggling it came out.   Then soon I got really p.o'd because of a discovery with switching dash frames but thats another topic.

b5blue

Mine came out fine first try with a key that didn't work the lock. (After figuring out what others meant.)  I tried another key later and it gave me one heck of a battle.  :scratchchin: