News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Bullitt build

Started by keepat, April 30, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 20, 2019, 04:01:31 AM
I keep reading and enjoying this thread even if I don't send thanks regularly - you should know I deeply appreciate it and really like the combination of quality work with clever engineering and fabricating solutions. 

What he said!   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

keepat

Quote from: Dino on January 20, 2019, 05:26:19 AM
Quote from: XH29N0G on January 20, 2019, 04:01:31 AM
I keep reading and enjoying this thread even if I don't send thanks regularly - you should know I deeply appreciate it and really like the combination of quality work with clever engineering and fabricating solutions. 

What he said!   :icon_smile_big:

Thank you gentlemen,  I appreciate all the kind words and putting up with this very long thread ;-)
Pat

keepat

Started the restoration on the grill which is in very good condition but as with most Charger grills there are a few cracks that need to be repaired. After cleaning up and painting most of the hardware I started by fixing some of the cracks and broken parts using steel wire to get a mechanical fastener prior to using epoxy with chopped fibers.
Thanks

mike69440

When you are gone, donate that car to the Smithsonian.

Err, maybe not, who trusts the government? keep it the family.

keepat

Melting staples into the plastic using a soldering iron to hold the cracked parts of the plastic together prior to epoxy.  After melting the staple flush with the outer surface I would bend over the staple on the inside and again melt and bend it flush.

birdsandbees

Nice, I used a lot of paperclips and rivet mandrels doing my Ramcharger hood rebuild.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

mopar4don

Quote from: keepat on January 20, 2019, 08:49:32 PM
Started the restoration on the grill which is in very good condition but as with most Charger grills there are a few cracks that need to be repaired. After cleaning up and painting most of the hardware I started by fixing some of the cracks and broken parts using steel wire to get a mechanical fastener prior to using epoxy with chopped fibers.
Thanks

OK Pat, how did you restore the grill hardware?

keepat

Don,

Started by sandblasting all of the hardware, most of which was in great shape. However there were a few of the stamped steel nuts that were too pitted to be saved, but I had some left over from my first charger project.
Then I painted them to match what I perceive to be the original colors.

Worth noting that there are 3 different style T bolts that hold the anodized grill trim in place on a 68 charger. The slightly longer ones are used for the two long centerpieces with the 1-1/2" spring washers. And then there are four with a slightly larger rectangular plate that are used at the top and bottom of the outside C molding.
Thanks
Pat

Derwud

You really have to pay attention when taking these things apart..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

mopar4don

mike69440

Back in the day  i had my stuff yellow zinc chromated the put a light coat of clear.

I am really glad I live vicariously now through this forum. Chargers consume your life.

mopar4don

Hi Pat,

My grill has some broken lugs that I repaired, but I need to drill the mounting holes back in. Could you get me the position of the hole in the lug? (And diameter of the hole)

I assume the lugs are the same on your 68 grill and my 69?

My center section has 3 lugs on top and 3 lugs on the bottom, I need the location of the hole on the top center lug

Drivers side and passengers side bucket has 1 lug on the top and 2 on the bottom. I need the location of the hole on the outer lug on the bottom

pic1 view looking at the bottom side of the center section (center lug broken)

pic2 view looking at the bottom side of the pass side bucket (outer lug broken)

pic3 view looking at the bottom side of the drivers side bucket (outer lug broken)

Thank you
Don

keepat

Don, l'm out of town but will get the info this weekend.
Thanks
Pat

Charger-Bodie

How do you like your m12 solder tool
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

keepat

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 25, 2019, 07:46:37 PM

Love it!  I haven't found a Milwaukee tool I don't like ;-)

72gy8se

Very nice build Sir, thanks for sharing. :2thumbs:

keepat

Quote from: mopar4don on January 24, 2019, 04:32:01 PM
Hi Pat,

My grill has some broken lugs that I repaired, but I need to drill the mounting holes back in. Could you get me the position of the hole in the lug? (And diameter of the hole)

I assume the lugs are the same on your 68 grill and my 69?

My center section has 3 lugs on top and 3 lugs on the bottom, I need the location of the hole on the top center lug

Drivers side and passengers side bucket has 1 lug on the top and 2 on the bottom. I need the location of the hole on the outer lug on the bottom

pic1 view looking at the bottom side of the center section (center lug broken)

pic2 view looking at the bottom side of the pass side bucket (outer lug broken)

pic3 view looking at the bottom side of the drivers side bucket (outer lug broken)

Thank you
Don

Don,
The holes in the mounting lugs are 9/32"   the center of the hole is 3/8" from the edge and centered in the lug
Let me know if you need a picture?
Thanks and have a great weekend!
Pat

Ps  The paint job on your grill looks awesome!!

mopar4don

Thanks Pat for those dimensions, and a picture is not necessary.
Yes the grill turned out FANTASTIC! Thanks to my friend Raphael, he did an awesome job!

keepat

The grill repairs are done and it's all sanded to 600 grit, time for paint!
Thanks
Pat

screen capture software

Lennard

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: keepat on January 25, 2019, 09:56:18 PM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 25, 2019, 07:46:37 PM

Love it!  I haven't found a Milwaukee tool I don't like ;-)

Same.addicted
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

keepat

I finally received the backordered AAR radio so I could complete the dash. Radio is Bluetooth audio as well as hands-free phone, not sure how well it works but it looks and fits great!
Thanks
Pat

fisto fallout 3

Dino

Pat I'm trying to find your seat belt solution. How did you install the front belts again? I just received 3 point retractable belts for my car. Yesterday I mocked them up and I have them hidden inside the quarter panel. The belt slips out from the front of the quarter upper pad so most of the belt is out of sight. I'm not sure how you did yours but wanted to compare.

keepat

Quote from: Dino on February 10, 2019, 10:15:37 AM
Pat I'm trying to find your seat belt solution. How did you install the front belts again? I just received 3 point retractable belts for my car. Yesterday I mocked them up and I have them hidden inside the quarter panel. The belt slips out from the front of the quarter upper pad so most of the belt is out of sight. I'm not sure how you did yours but wanted to compare.

I have yet to install seatbelts and I will not be doing shoulder harnesses.  I would like to see how you did your shoulder harness?
Thanks
Pat

Dino

This is a quick mock up. I've had the upper pad on and it works great! I am recovering the upper pads so that makes it easier to customize it a bit, but it'll work with stock pads and minimal adjustment. The retractor will be mounted to the top of the inner rocker. Space is a bit of a problem just getting there, but it'll work out fine. A protective sleeve will cover the webbing.

I will have to adjust the stainless steel trim that sits between the upper pad and lower panel, but that shouldn't take much.

This is with power windows so you should have even more room to play with for those with manual windows.