News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

installing window felt on rear upper bolsters?

Started by Lord Warlock, May 13, 2014, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

What is the best way to attach new window felts to the rear upper door panel bolster? I was able to remove the old one by removing the staples, but the staple gun I have doesn't even push thru the rubber (think there is a metal tab under the rubber) much less go thru the backside of the door panel piece which has more metal under the vinyl.  I figure I could use flat head screws or even a pop rivet, but wonder how the correct way to do it is, I can try to use the Pneumatic nail gun but doubt it would do much either.  There has to be a way, as people make the felts to be replaced. 

So how are you installing them>? 

LW
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Lord Warlock

Really? not a single response?  You're forcing me to work it out on my own....  broke out the gasket adhesive/sealant I used for the new trunk seal and basically glued it in place for now,,  still want to put a more permanent solution as once the panel gets reinstalled I don't want the chrome trim to ride up or down when rolling the window up and down.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

jaak

I put my new ones on with pop rivets. Holds it securely. The only thing you want to make sure of, test fit the bracket onto the bolster, there are 3 raised areas on the bracket. Don't put rivets in these locations because the rivets more than likely would hang up on the bracket when installing the bolster. I test fitted the bracket, put a piece of masking tape on the bolster where these 3 'bumps' are located, just to insure I wouldn't put a rivet there. Another thing you might want to do if you use rivets, is after you are done, if you got some black paint handy, I would paint the rivet heads black.

Jason

Pic of the raised areas on the mounting bracket (make sure rivets won't be here)

Installing strips...

Lord Warlock

Thanks,  seeing the piece validates my concerns with the metal underneath, a pop rivet makes the most sense to me also,  there is no way a staple is going to go thru both the fuzzy and the panel, they must have some killer staple guns at the factory to shoot thru metal panels.

I haven't tried to re-install the panel yet so does it snap in from the top, instead of sliding backward into position, I know it has three spring clips that push and hold it in place once the top is on, but i was worried about using a pop rivet as it leaves a blob on the back side that would possibly cause interference when sliding it into position. 

jaak

To install you slide the top of the bolster onto the metal bracket, then push it along the bottom to make the spring clips snap into the holes on the bracket, then install the one screw toward the rear of the bolster.

Jason

sanders7981

I used some small screws and flat retainer clips after drilling pilot holes for them since I didn't have a pop rivet gun.  Screws seemed to work out pretty great! 

fy469rtse

Can I ask which company makes these, ? As I have different ones these look correct , the one I have can only be described as a squeegee type to inners and outers

jaak

Quote from: fy469rtse on May 17, 2014, 06:22:24 AM
Can I ask which company makes these, ? As I have different ones these look correct , the one I have can only be described as a squeegee type to inners and outers

Top Cat was the brand of the ones I had.

Jason

Lord Warlock

RE the mounting bracket, does that fit with the ledge at the top facing the glass, or facing away from the glass?  I just spent a little time putting the parts back together and respraying the bolster before installing it, it seems to fit with the ledge facing the glass, which is how i put it on, but haven't tried reinstalling the bolster yet. 

I'll have to check the bag of the brand i got online,  it was a comprehensive kit of  whiskers for front and rear glass.  think the name of the manufacturer is on the bag they came in. 

sanders7981

Quote from: jaak on May 17, 2014, 06:03:32 PM
Quote from: fy469rtse on May 17, 2014, 06:22:24 AM

Top Cat was the brand of the ones I had.

Jason

I used these too. Just drilled a 1/8 hole and used a screw with a flat Fastener to secure it. 

jaak

Quote from: Lord Warlock on May 17, 2014, 06:22:50 PM
RE the mounting bracket, does that fit with the ledge at the top facing the glass, or facing away from the glass?  I just spent a little time putting the parts back together and respraying the bolster before installing it, it seems to fit with the ledge facing the glass, which is how i put it on, but haven't tried reinstalling the bolster yet. 

I'll have to check the bag of the brand i got online,  it was a comprehensive kit of  whiskers for front and rear glass.  think the name of the manufacturer is on the bag they came in. 

Yes the ledge would be facing the glass.

Jason

moparnut

My kit came with small philips screws .Everything is back together and functioning with no rubbing . moparnut