News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wood grain steering wheel metal type?

Started by Dino, May 29, 2014, 09:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Can anyone tell me what type of metal the wood grain wheels are made of?  I want to adapt one and need to know what to weld with.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

kab69440

They are chrome plated steel aren't they?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Ghoste

Dino

Sweet!  A simple mig will do then.  Thanks guys!

kab69440

The finish is of no consequence. The plating will need to be removed anywhere a weld is desired in order to shoot a decent bead.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Dino

True but that's okay.  I'm looking for the worst condition wheel I can find so the finish will be crap anyway so I'll either have to replate or paint it.  I want to reduce the wheel diameter and use real wood on the rim so this is one of those projects that may not go anywhere.  Hence I need a cheap one.  I'm not touching mine, it's still too nice.

kab69440

Reduce the diameter? What on Earth for? Is this a setup to one of those ethnic "driving with handcuffs" jokes? I keep thinking how nice a rosewood or cocabola wheel rim would be...

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Dino

Quote from: kab69440 on May 30, 2014, 04:25:23 PM
Reduce the diameter? What on Earth for? Is this a setup to one of those ethnic "driving with handcuffs" jokes? I keep thinking how nice a rosewood or cocabola wheel rim would be...

Because it's a tad too big for me and a whole lot too big for my wife.   :icon_smile_big:

I can drive it as is but I would like the rim to be thicker but that would enlarge the diameter even more.  If I can reduce it slightly and make the rim thicker in nice wood, it would almost look stock.  Not hating the wheel, just trying to find a compromise and definitely not trying to make it an 8 inch wheel! 

Mike DC

The stock wheel is 16" (outside edge) I think.  The common aftermarket Grant woodgrain wheels are 15" and the rim is slightly thicker. You could adapt the outer rim of the Grant one to the stock spokes/hub. 

One big problem with this - the Grant wheels have spokes at slightly different places (on the clock) than the stock Mopar wheels.  The Mopar spokes at "10 and 2" are more like "9:30 and 2:30" on the Grant wheel. 

It might actually be easier to keep the Grant spokes, weld them onto the central hub of a stock Mopar rally wheel, and make the Grant spokes look more like the stock Mopar spokes in some way or another.  The slightly lower spoke positioning might also make it easier to read the gauges sometimes. 

jaak

I have the Grant woodgrain 'tuff' wheel in my 69. I love it. It is 15" diameter, thicker rim, and if you use a regular grant adapter (instead of factory Mopar tuff adapter) It sits back further from you. The only thing using the grant adapter, you have to straighten out the turn signal lever.

Jason

Mike DC

Oohh, now that looks good. 

Imagine that wheel, with the spokes reworked to look more like the stock '69 woodgrain wheel, and using the stocker's center horn/button . . . Nice. 

But that would probably call for a shorter version of the stock horn button.  The original would look like it's sticking up out too far once the rim is moved back several inches (from the driver). 

Dino

Guys I think you have solved this little issue.  The Grant wheel does look real nice as is and should not take all that much to look closer to the stock wheel.  Nobody says we can't shorten the horn button right?   ;)

I also like that it is closer to the dash as that is one of the main issues, it's real close to me but still doable, but my wife is a bit more vertically challenged and it's hard for her to get comfy in the car.

I would not mind bending the turn signal lever, although I would hate to break a cruise control lever if I ever find one.   :eek2:

Is that real wood on the rim?

jaak

Quote from: Dino on June 01, 2014, 05:39:29 PM
Guys I think you have solved this little issue.  The Grant wheel does look real nice as is and should not take all that much to look closer to the stock wheel.  Nobody says we can't shorten the horn button right?   ;)

I also like that it is closer to the dash as that is one of the main issues, it's real close to me but still doable, but my wife is a bit more vertically challenged and it's hard for her to get comfy in the car.

I would not mind bending the turn signal lever, although I would hate to break a cruise control lever if I ever find one.   :eek2:

Is that real wood on the rim?

Yes its real wood. As far as the turn signal lever, I didn't have cruise..just a regular lever. I was a little anxious about bending it so I had another lever I had pulled from a Duster, I bent and used it and kept the one I pulled from this car. But you bend it near the end that mounts it to the switch, its pretty thick there, so I don't think there is no worries about breaking it.

Jason

Dino

jaak

Quote from: Dino on June 01, 2014, 08:22:40 PM
If it wasn't for the dots on the rim I'd be all over this one.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/967-0/10002/-1?parentProductId=752421

You know, a some of the photos of the grant wheel I got, looks like that, they have those dots in the pics, but the wheel actually don't. Go figure?

Jason

Mike DC

I've got one of those wheels lying around from like 10 years ago.  The metal dots are inset into round holes in the wood.  If you don't mind making some little wooden plugs and covering them that way, it's an easy fix.

Dino

Quote from: jaak on June 01, 2014, 09:14:04 PM
Quote from: Dino on June 01, 2014, 08:22:40 PM
If it wasn't for the dots on the rim I'd be all over this one.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/967-0/10002/-1?parentProductId=752421

You know, a some of the photos of the grant wheel I got, looks like that, they have those dots in the pics, but the wheel actually don't. Go figure?

Jason

I saw a few pictures of both with the same model number and thought it was odd!

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 02, 2014, 12:59:06 PM

I've got one of those wheels lying around from like 10 years ago.  The metal dots are inset into round holes in the wood.  If you don't mind making some little wooden plugs and covering them that way, it's an easy fix.

I would actually enjoy a project like that but will opt for one that needs no modifying if I can find one I like.

Ghoste

It reminds me a lot of the Chevy woodgrain wheels from the late 60's.

six-tee-nine

One of the things I mostly adore about vintage cars in general is the way too large and thin steering wheel.
I personally think the 69 woodgrain steering wheel is a awesome looking steering wheel and part of the deal with these old cars.

Anyway Dino sounds like you're into an interesting thing.
Might consider after the welding to hand it over to Doug Lepak (The steering wheel guy) for the plating and the refinishing of the rest to get the best result.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Ghoste

six-tee-nine

Dunno if he does it himself but as far as I understand he does complete restorations including the horn button....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...