News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

spoilers?

Started by frank1966, June 08, 2014, 08:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank1966

It seems like most of you do not have spoilers? Anyone buy an aftermarket spoiler. I think these cars need a little more body in the rear. I know it was a very rare option.

hawkeye

Spoilers were not an option on 2nd gen chargers until 1/2 way through the 70 run.

Ghoste

You already have a 70 so you can get a repro one and bolt it on there.  Do you have the cutouts on your decklid to bolt it up.

frank1966

How will it look with the bee stripe? Did   1ST AND 3rd Gen have spoilers as an option?

Ghoste

The first gen was actually the first American car to have a factory installed spoiler and the 71's had a wing type similar to the 70 model.

Indygenerallee

I like the 70 and 71 Mopar "Go-wing" but I think the 2nd gen Charger looks better without the spoiler just my  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

I much agree.  I like the 67 one also but the 2nd gen doesn't lend itself to the little gull wing on the back.  Now the Daytona spoiler is another thing altogether.

AKcharger

Yup...1st and 2nd gen no. 71-72 looks sharp, 73-74 OK

Ghoste

You don't like the 67 spoiler AK?  They're pretty subtle back there.

myk

Absolutely NOT.  The body is the ONE thing on these cars that I would NEVER change.  The subtle up-turned lip is all of the body-effects these car will ever need.  I'm all about 'modding these archaic machines but I adamantly draw the line at the body; it's perfect as it is!
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

MaximRecoil

Quote from: myk on June 08, 2014, 12:09:43 PM
Absolutely NOT.  The body is the ONE thing on these cars that I would NEVER change.  The subtle up-turned lip is all of the body-effects these car will ever need.  I'm all about 'modding these archaic machines but I adamantly draw the line at the body; it's perfect as it is!

I agree. To me, the factory spoiler option on a '70 Charger looks even worse than the factory luggage rack option (I wonder if you could order a '70 Charger with a luggage rack and a spoiler?), and a picture of an aftermarket spoiler on a second-generation Charger can be found in the dictionary under "pure cheese".

Ghoste

I don't think there is room back there for the luggage rack and the gull wing.

frank1966

it had to be not favored, because I haven't seen a pic with a spoiler.

jaak

Here is a '70 500, that I saw on CL yesterday. It has the stripe and the wing. I think it looks pretty good (and I'm not too crazy about spoilers). If I had this car all I would do is ditch the RWL tires and detail the grille (it is painted all black), it would be perfect.

Jason

Ghoste

It doesn't look so bad on that car, color likely has a lot to do with it.  How many like them on other 70 B-bodies like the Road Runner or Coronet RT?

AKcharger

IMO the problem is the trunk is so long and flat. with a shorter trunk it looks OK 'cause it kinda looks like it belongs. With the long deck  it's like "what's that doing way, way back there?"

polywideblock

love the spoilers and the luggage rack  on the 70   I'd be happy with either   :yesnod:  must be a sickness    :scratchchin:

if only they had of come out with the rear window louvers for the 70 as well   :drool5:

its  the reason that I like 70's and 71 's so much  :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Indygenerallee

My line of thinking is with AK, It just looks out of place (I don't like that type of spoiler on any 68-70 B body) I think they look really good on a 71-up B body but the trunk is so flat on a 2nd gen and then you have the spoiler jutting up it just makes it look out of place, where the 71-up B body (specifically Charger) has a fastback look to it with a shorter looking rear deck, the proportions to myself just look better on the 71-up cars, and as far as E-bodies I think they looked better with the AAR and T/A spoiler than the Go-wing.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Chargerrt340

The go-wing on the 71-74 is a must, but 70 and earlier ....... yea .... i'd go big, like Daytona !
73 charger, 318, auto, 2.73 rear, 

I like the lost old school hot rod guy, intimidating muscle car vibe...I drive it because I built it and I know its bad ass... the kind that makes a mans jaw drop and a women's panties wet when you drive by... the car that screams respect..... to be continued...