News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Seat Covers , Easy do it yourself?

Started by comet_666, June 23, 2014, 04:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Going to get some new seat covers for my 69, is this a do it yourself project or a massive pain in the rump?

Ghoste

A little of both.  The procedure is fairly simple but some of the pushing, pulling, stuffing and swearing makes you hate it.  You should try it at least once though.

JB400

You'll want to do it on a nice, sunny day.  Let your covers warm up so that they have a little stretch.

twodko

Legendary has a couple of great YouTube vids showing how to install covers on 69 seats. Check
them out.

What JB mentioned about doing this on a warm day and laying the covers out in the sun to thoroughly warm up
will save you lots a bad words.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Ghoste

Cooter

With any color like WHITE, do yourself a favor and wear gloves. You will be sweatin
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

AZMoparboy

Hi, one of the tricks I used was a trash bag slip over the foam. The new cover slid right over the foam so easy I couldn't believe it. I just left the plastic trash bag in place and you can't even tell it's even there. I thought the job was going to be so much more harder but it's too easy. Good luck

Ghoste

Thats essentially what I suggested the silicone spray for as well, spray the foam and slide it on.  The bag would be much cheaper though.

Mike DC

And be prepared for the tops of the buttons on the '69 pattern to fall off quickly. 

Then you will call Legendary to complain.  They will apologize and say they got a temporary batch of bad buttons.  It must be a pretty big batch because all their 69 buttons have been falling off for the last 20 years. 

If your covers come without the buttons installed, you might consider just leaving them off. 

Ghoste

comet_666

So the seat foam is the hangup..
Do you need special tools at all for the rings? I think I have seen them for sale before.

Ghoste

Yes, you will need hog ring pliers.  You'll also need a good set of side cutters to get the old ones off.

comet_666

Got it!
Thanks guys!
Oh on the buttons, I assume glue does not work? Not that I am a fan of putting glue down where I sit or anything  ;D

Ghoste

People have been successfully using super glues to put them back on.

tsmithae

I tackled mine by myself a while back and it was my first time.  I had great luck, minus an issue with the thickness of the vinyl used on the back on the '70 covers.  Legendary never even got back to me about it.   :shruggy:

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=1920.0
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

jaak

Quote from: comet_666 on June 26, 2014, 07:37:15 AM
So the seat foam is the hangup..
Do you need special tools at all for the rings? I think I have seen them for sale before.

I went to my local hardware store around the corner, got my hog ring pliers there, Also picked up a couple of boxes of hog rings there too.

Jason

ODZKing

I did my 67 covers and just as everyone said.  Stretch, pull, swear, eventually they comply.
When it came to my 73 ... I took one look and sent them to an upholstery guy. Good thing because he had to repair 2 buttons as mentioned.  And they are still falling off.  JB Weld for that seems to work because Legendary will just send you a batch of new - bad buttons.   :brickwall:

Ghoste

They should send a box with each order.  Ooooor... 

just get them done the way the originals were instead of the press on cheapie style they went with instead.  :scratchchin:

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on June 27, 2014, 06:42:56 AM
They should send a box with each order.  Ooooor... 

just get them done the way the originals were instead of the press on cheapie style they went with instead.  :scratchchin:

Gotta love those 'Arbitrary' high prices!
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

sanders7981

It ain't that hard, I installed mine from PUI, and followed legendary's installation video.  The are a few differences in the interior components of the seats, but the installation is pretty much the same.  The Trash bag trick was extremely helpful when installing the top bucket seat covers.   It you want to keep form having the buttons fall off and don't mind the button-less look I'd go that route.  Here is a link to mine without buttons.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,108215.0.html