News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Taillight housing

Started by comet_666, July 07, 2014, 05:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Anyone know what nuts hold these in? Also was it standard procedure to use black rtv or whatever all over the gaskets?

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

twodko

The OEM gaskets on my car had no adhesive. When we finished our restoration I just used new gaskets
.........same same with the lens to housing connection. Just new gaskets. Also don't
crank the fasteners down too hard.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

comet_666

Yah wow exactly!
I may just find nuts/washers to fit.

Thoughts on the goop all over these housings?

comet_666

Or how to get the lenses to shine up again?

nvrbdn

:scratchchin: i wonder if the new headlight polishing kit would polish up that plastic?  :scratchchin:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

twodko

First thing to do is run them through a wash cycle in your dish washer BUT NOT THE DRY CYCLE.

I think one of the HL polishing kits would work but the dig would be getting into the deepest parts
of the lens. Maybe a Dremel tool with some kinda buffing wheel thingy might work.  :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

gtx6970

IMO< the correct nut is
It's the only nut  I've seen on several cars I've looked at on on the car I just finished

avail at  

http://amkproducts.com/bulk3.asp?part=B%2D13877

comet_666

Min order is $30.00 lol
Guess I could poke around that site a bit to see if I need anything else but I think it's the worst website ever devised by man.

Thanks for the tip!!!

jaak

Quote from: comet_666 on July 10, 2014, 12:13:46 PM
Or how to get the lenses to shine up again?

I know this sounds crazy, but I read it online, and did it with my lens. Use toothpaste to polish them. I cleaned them up real good with soap and water, then polished them by hand with toothpaste (I actually used a toothbrush on the ribbed portion). They turned out great, nice and shiny and after a couple of years of use, still look as good as the day I finished them up.

Jason

comet_666

Was just thinking about cleaning them yesterday...ill try the tooth polish and see if it works!!  Thanks for the tip!

Ghoste

I've use the Meguiars plastic cleaner and polish with good results but toothpaste does work, I've done it in the past.

comet_666

I used toothpaste and it removed quite a bit of the easy stuff, then I switched to 1500 grit wet sand and then washed and put a bit of armor all on them.

Worked out great, 90% of the pits and scraped and whatever else came right off!

Now, I just need the chrome trim... :'(

comet_666

Here are a few pics

comet_666

An another

JB400