News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Green69rt's paint work

Started by green69rt, August 18, 2014, 04:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi-hampton

Some people in here will call me crazy but I'd recommend 4 coats & start blocking with 80. LEON.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 11, 2016, 08:58:35 PM
Some people in here will call me crazy but I'd recommend 4 coats & start blocking with 80. LEON.

I agree
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

green69rt

Dino

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 12, 2016, 12:16:45 AM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 11, 2016, 08:58:35 PM

I agree

Ditto
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

When it's smooth from 80 grit blocking switch to 180 on the same block and prime with three or four coats of urethane primer surfacer . It will final block easy as pie then.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

green69rt

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 12, 2016, 09:57:45 AM
When it's smooth from 80 grit blocking switch to 180 on the same block and prime with three or four coats of urethane primer surfacer . It will final block easy as pie then.

I have to assume that the 80/180 will take almost all of the slicksand off without breaking thru to bare metal.  Just down to the epoxy.  use 300-400 on the urethane?  Reading the Slicksand can, it says to use 180-320 to start and finish with 400.  Using the 80-180 makes things go faster?  Didn't even think about the urethane step.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: green69rt on November 12, 2016, 11:51:57 AM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 12, 2016, 09:57:45 AM

I have to assume that the 80/180 will take almost all of the slicksand off without breaking thru to bare metal.  Just down to the epoxy.  use 300-400 on the urethane?  Reading the Slicksand can, it says to use 180-320 to start and finish with 400.  Using the 80-180 makes things go faster?  Didn't even think about the urethane step.

80 just shapes up and sharpens the lines nice. That is part of why need four ,five coats. It's really nice to have that build when blocking because it makes for few to none on the spot repair areas. Nice and smooth blocked slicknsand makes for really smooth final primer. And that makes it nice and easy to final block .

Canadian1968

Do you guys not find that 80 is a bit coarse for your normal high build primers ?  Curious as to what brand paper you use to ? Our shop has just started to use the new 3m cubitron paper , this stuff cuts like crazy ! 180 cuts like some 80s would !

Charger-Bodie

Cubitron is great , but in this case I'd still start with 80. As for normal surfacer such as urethane, no I would not use 80 on that.

green69rt

Just to get in the discussion, when I shot the epoxy I noticed a lot of sanding marks showing thru.  I'm assuming from the 80 I was using. Then I shot the polyester and they were gone.  I was assuming as I went thru the different primers (poly, urethane) that I would use finer grit to avoid the scratch marks.  Or should I just count on the last coats to fill all the scratch marks?  In other words use 80 to speed up the process, count on the urethane to self level and use something finer to make the last cut?

I'm starting to come around to the fact that I need to shoot another 2 or 3 coats of polyester primer.  Groan!!!

Charger-Bodie

Once you sand the poly with 80 you need to sand the 80 grit scratches out with 180 or even 220. But not finer as the primer needs mechanical adhesion.

green69rt

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 13, 2016, 12:02:41 AM
Once you sand the poly with 80 you need to sand the 80 grit scratches out with 180 or even 220. But not finer as the primer needs mechanical adhesion.

I happen to have a roll of 220 on hand so I guess I'll use it to scuff up the current poly before I add more coats.

green69rt

I've been lying low about progress on the car because of the sanding and holidays etc.  Also didn't want to say anything because I've had so many false starts getting the old girl painted.  But....I finally got on the waiting list for a shop.  It's on the north side of Houston, called The Rehab Garage.   Got on their waiting list then in early Jan they called and said they have a lull in their work and if I was ready they could come get it, I said YES!!   The painter had been to my house and we talked about what I wanted and he nodded his head a lot.  Anyway.....

So I rolled it out of the garage, as you can see I had been shooting some polyester and blocking.  The painter guy said it looked pretty good for an amateur in his garage  (thanks to all those that gave me advice.)  

Setting in the driveway waiting on transport  (Pics #1 and 2.)  If you look closely you can see the front valance hanging out the pass side window.
Empty garage (Pic #3.)  Time to clean it up.
More on next post.

green69rt

Driving away (Pic #1.)
Fading into the distance (Pic#2.)
In the shop (Pic #3.)

green69rt

They found a couple of places that the painter said should be skim coated and blocked.  They took the doors, fenders, hood and truck lid off.  They also skimmed the trunk lid.  After he showed me how to test for waves, I could really feel them in the trunk lid.  Then they sprayed the whole car with polyester, blocked, high build, blocked and when I saw it today they had it all blocked down to a wet 600.  Tomorrow, they painter said he would be mixing paint and start shooting the loose panels, then remask the body (to prevent and dust or crap from flying off the old masking into the new paint.)  Probably get the body in color next week.  If it all comes off, they will have had the car for only 5 weeks, I was thinking 3 months if I was lucky.

Pics #1 and 2 shows the car in the booth being prepped for polyester.  Those guys are a couple of the crew.
Pic #3 is the garage.  It was an old oil field service company building that the car shop took over.  Some huge abandoned equipment setting around.  They took it because it had enough floor space.   Now they've grown so much that they're moving to a bigger facility a little ways away next month.  They're trying to get my car done so it won't be part of the move.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Charger-Bodie

Awesome. Can't wait to see it all green and shiny. Love the green Chargers!

green69rt

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on February 15, 2017, 07:24:36 AM
I REALLY can't wait!  It's been a long time coming.

timmycharger

Awesome!!! congrats man, I know the feeling!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

tsmithae

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BDF

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on February 15, 2017, 07:24:36 AM
Another GREEN one! :2thumbs:  :popcrn:

green69rt

Got the first pictures from the paint shop with the final paint applied!