News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Install Vega rear window?

Started by Daytona Guy, September 11, 2014, 10:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

People have asked me this question and it is hard to describe over the phone or in an email. Can we collect some threads on how to install a Vega Rear Window for a Daytona build?

Dane

hemi68charger

I can give you the last step; visual enjoyment........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Stevearino

I would put pics from my build up but there are easier ways to go about it than what I did. No use confusing folks.

Daytona Guy

There are threads of those who installed these - but I can't find them. If we can create a thread of how to install and Vega hatch - that has all these threads listed - and "pin" it to the top - it could help so many people and save time.

Dane

Indygenerallee

Larry had a good how to on my post when I was deciding between a General Lee or Daytona.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Stevearino

BigBlockSam

i am mixed on this subject . i might sound like a Douche but it shouldn't be that easy to get the info . :D  people did a lot of test and fit to get the formula we have now . now you click a button and there are all the instructions . 
specially if there gonna make money doing conversions . i've helped several people do the vega rear window conversion but they were just guys who always wanted a wing car .not someone who is gonna make money doing it . i researched the rear window conversion and trunk conversion for 2 years  to get it right.   not just clicked a button . .  :cheers: :Twocents:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Crabtree charger

This is my first post here as I am just today a new member. Thank you Dane for suggesting this forum and starting this thread . I was the guy who called asking about the fitment of the vega back window. I have two 70 chargers getting the daytona treatment. Both are my cars and each one is being built with a different purpose in mind. One is a drag car and one a regular driver. So far as of last night I have taken the under support off the vega plug and trimed the edges to fit inside the sail panels. I also have the required dutchman panel from a 71-4 b-body. Also I recieved in the mail yesterday a set of trunk hinges from a e-bay seller and already have last night removed an reinstalled the trunk lid torsion bar accentric. I plan on haveing the window comlpleted this week but i am just trying to figure out some dimensions for final fitment, mainley how wide will the filler piece be at the top of the window. I think this dimension will get me on the right track[window track] :hack:

pettybird

Quote from: Stevearino on September 11, 2014, 05:11:27 PM
I would put pics from my build up but there are easier ways to go about it than what I did. No use confusing folks.

For you?  Step 1:  Reinvent the wheel  :lol:

Stevearino

Quote from: pettybird on September 16, 2014, 10:22:55 AM
Quote from: Stevearino on September 11, 2014, 05:11:27 PM

For you?  Step 1:  Reinvent the wheel  :lol:

Yeah. I am bad about that. Usually much to my own dismay. :eek2:

Quote from: Crabtree charger on September 16, 2014, 09:49:00 AM
This is my first post here as I am just today a new member. Thank you Dane for suggesting this forum and starting this thread . I was the guy who called asking about the fitment of the vega back window. I have two 70 chargers getting the daytona treatment. Both are my cars and each one is being built with a different purpose in mind. One is a drag car and one a regular driver. So far as of last night I have taken the under support off the vega plug and trimed the edges to fit inside the sail panels. I also have the required dutchman panel from a 71-4 b-body. Also I recieved in the mail yesterday a set of trunk hinges from a e-bay seller and already have last night removed an reinstalled the trunk lid torsion bar accentric. I plan on haveing the window comlpleted this week but i am just trying to figure out some dimensions for final fitment, mainley how wide will the filler piece be at the top of the window. I think this dimension will get me on the right track[window track] :hack:

We demand pictures. You need to start a build thread.  :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

Crabtree charger

I have alot of pics of the three chargers that i have all being worked on in different stages. My 68 R/T 440 4 speed car has all the metal done and have started the paint. The 70 that just got a new floor and torsion bar crossmember and trunk and rearframe rails and so on is the one I want to put the vega plug into this week. My other 70 got anew trunk today as well as a new valance tomarrow. I will start to post the pics asap. I was thinking that a 3" to 3 1/2" filler piece above the vega plug seems to look right but I was wondering how some of you guys did your back window plug. I am going to line up the dutchman panel with the rear most part of the fuel filler cap. I would be farther along on this but I went to Octoberfest and lost a day and a half.  :cheers:

Stevearino

I don't know if you have the trunk lid built with the close out on it already but it is good to start with that and work forward from there. After the trunk lid is built setting it in place shows you where to set the forward rim of the trunk lid bed. Then you can work up the hill  from the center of the deck to the bottom of the rear window. This is about 12 to 12 1/2" up. That leaves you with whatever gap at the top you need to fill.

BigBlockSam

this is the best pic that shows the space above the plug i have . i didn't use measurements . i notched the sail panels then placed the plug in place and pulled it donwn and it kinda sat in place all by itself .
i also left as much of the structure on the back of the plug as i could  for strength.
definitely do the trunk lid first  .if thats correct everything else should fall in place  :cheers: :cheers:

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Crabtree charger

Perfect. That is good info guys. Love the pics too! I'm off and runnin and later tonight will post my progress pics.

pandamarie

I will look for my pics, no one is showing the inside where they had to take the inner skin off and do some trimming to make it fit up tight in the sail panels. That was the hardest part, once that is done the rest is easy.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: pandamarie on September 17, 2014, 08:44:40 PM
I will look for my pics, no one is showing the inside where they had to take the inner skin off and do some trimming to make it fit up tight in the sail panels. That was the hardest part, once that is done the rest is easy.

How much problem is getting the headliner to fit the frame and what did you use for a rear package tray ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Crabtree charger

Quote from: pandamarie on September 17, 2014, 08:44:40 PM
I took the under skin off the other day and tonight ground the edges clean for a good fit to the inner sail panel. I am working on the dutchman panel fittment now. Unfortunately I dont have a trunk lid close out panel. I hope I don't have to remove the whole support structure from the skin. I have'nt figured that out yet. I also plan on fitting the trunk hinges tonight.

pandamarie

I'm making a package tray out of aluminum, haven't done the headliner yet but using the old headliner teeth cut down and welded back in place.

BigBlockSam

QuoteI will look for my pics, no one is showing the inside where they had to take the inner skin off and do some trimming to make it fit up tight in the sail panels. That was the hardest part, once that is done the rest is easy.

never took the inner skin off . you need that for structure strength .just trim the edges . remember chargers flex real bad. thats why you need frame connecters and even with that you get body flex back were the plug is . i've seen fiberglass and vega plugs crack the bodywork . :Twocents:

plus you have to transfer the headliner teeth and the tabs for the window trim. it's easier if you do it before you install the plug permanently .

i used 1/4 plywood wrapped in a perforated leather for the package tray looks real good . 1/8 is to thin it flexes   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Crabtree charger

Daytona Guy

I would keep the reinforcement - There is like 3 layers in some spots. Here is a drawing - I overlap kind of like the quarters as seen here.

screencast
image hosting websites

Crabtree charger

Thanks for the excelently detailed picture Dane. We got the winow and all adjoining parts tacked in last night. :2thumbs: My fabricator friend  got froggy with the window while I was cooking steaks and when I saw it after dinner he had it wounted already. I cant believe how it fits so perfectly between the sail panels.

Stevearino