News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Guy in San Antonio

Started by Project68, October 10, 2014, 04:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

TUFCAT

Looks like a fairly straightforward Resto project. Your uncle had incredible foresight to buy the new front end parts and load the trunk with the original goodies!  :2thumbs:

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Project68

Quote from: Homerr on October 11, 2014, 10:55:45 AM
Cool project!  

Does it have a fender tag?  (Under hood near battery.)

Please feel free to correct anything and I'll update this:

2 = broadcast sheet printed at station 2
055275 sequence number
104052491 = shipping order (104 = Thursday January 4th, 1968 production date)
XP29H8B250216  VIN
X = Charger
P = Premium
29 = 2-door sports top
H = 383ci 4bbl
8 = 1968
B = Hamtramck, MI
250216 = sequnce number

WW1 =white
UDF B = Upper Door Frame, black
TOP 306 = black vinyl top

Trim C6X = Charger, vinyl bucket seats, black
Engine 62 = 383-4
Trans 395 = Auto, Torqueflight
Axle 404 = 3.23 open
411 = Power brakes
421 = AM radio
43 = 7.75 x 14 WSW Tires
456 = power steering
480 = dual horns
483 = front and rear bumper guards
484 = clock
486 = console
487 = cigar lighter

503 = carpeting
509 = glove box lock
515 = ashtray lamp
517 = hood mounted turn signals
521 = tinted glass
536 = remote outside mirror
535 = roof drip rail mouldings
540 = belt moldings
548 = wheel lip mouldings

564 = bucket seat w/o headrest
565 = rear armrests
584 = deep dish wheel covers
591 = 46 amp alternator
627 = 59 amp battery
624 = heavy duty suspension

647 = heavy duty 14" wheels

86 =   (vacuum fitting)
5 =    (sway bar)
47 =    (radiator)
710 =    (engine)
031 =    (trans)
237 =    (axle)
32 =    (pinion)
168 =    (wheel)
79 =    (wheel covers)
62 =    (propshaft)
779 =    (torsion bar - left)
778 =     (torsion bar - right)
211 =    (rear springs - left)
211 =    (rear springs - right)
41 =    (clutch and brake bracket)

22=    (front brake)
67 =    (shocks - front)
93 =    (shocks - rear)
62 =    (battery)
36X =    (steering column)
12X =    (steering wheel & horn ring)
15 =    (stub frame)
16 =    (engine fan)
56 =    (engine fan spacer)
90 =    (radiator inlet hose)
31 =    (radiator outlet hose)
01 =    (carburetor)
45 =    (carb. choke)
42 =    (cap idle label)
5 =    (??)
3 =    (??)

p.s.  You might also find this interesting to look at the documents available for 1968. 
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

Thanks for the information.   There is a fender tag, it is pretty rusted over though.  I will have to take a wire brush or steel wool to clean it up to read what is on it.

Project68

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 11, 2014, 11:18:13 AM
Looks like a fairly straightforward Resto project. Your uncle had incredible foresight to buy the new front end parts and load the trunk with the original goodies!  :2thumbs:

Yes,  he was smart to buy them.  When he bought the car, the fender was already damaged. He knew someone who was sending his Charger to the crusher, so he asked to buy the parts.

I was hoping a lot of the engine parts would be in the trunk since they were not in the barn.  I had to wait until the locksmith got the trunk open to see what was in there.....if anything.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Dino

Way cool!  Welcome to the club!   :cheers:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

NHCharger

Nice looking project. Welcome to the board   :cheers:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

don duick

amazing how a charger can be left in a barn for 30 years. great to see being bought back to life

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Project68

Here is the fender tag....needs to be cleaned up some more.  Any suggestions on how to clean the tag up without destroying it?  I was going to use a soft wire brush and maybe some steel wool. 

The engine has been on this stand in my grandfather garage along with the car for over 30 years.   I took some pictures of the engine block.  Can someone help me out decoding the engine numbers.  My uncle says he thinks it is a matching numbers car because be does not believe the previous owner swapped out the motor or transmission.

Thanks

69rtse4spd

Welcome to the site, wealth of info on here. :2thumbs:.

TUFCAT

soak that fender tag in some Evapo-rust.  :yesnod:  Don't use a wire brush or anything other abrasive because it will wear the numbers down!

The scheduled production date of your car is 104....1 meaning January 1968, and 04 meaning the 4th.  Its extremely likely you have the original numbers matching engine with the stamping date of 12-11-1967.  You still need to verify the serial number of the block matches the VIN.  You'll need to look at the passenger side of the engine block, just above the oil pan lip. You should see the last 8 digits of the VIN.

Project68

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 12, 2014, 07:42:34 PM
soak that fender tag in some Evapo-rust.  :yesnod:  Don't use a wire brush or anything other abrasive because it will wear the numbers down!

The scheduled production date of your car is 104....1 meaning January 1968, and 04 meaning the 4th.  Its extremely likely you have the original numbers matching engine with the stamping date of 12-11-1967.  You still need to verify the serial number of the block matches the VIN.  You'll need to look at the passenger side of the engine block, just above the oil pan lip. You should see the last 8 digits of the VIN.

Thanks for the advice on the fender tag and pointing me in the direction of locating the VIN on the block.  Are there VIN digits on the transmission as well?

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 12, 2014, 07:42:34 PM
 You'll need to look at the passenger side of the engine block, just above the oil pan lip. You should see the last 8 digits of the VIN.

I think that started in '69.  :scratchchin:

TUFCAT

started in '68, and yes the transmission should be the same way. Its also on the bottom edge pain rail (just above the pan) long number usually starts with PK for Kokomo Plant.  Not sure of which side its on I think left.  

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 12, 2014, 10:19:30 PM
started in '68, and yes the transmission should be the same way. Its also on the bottom edge pain rail (just above the pan)

I thought '68 was stamped on the top/rear of the block next to the top of the bell housing ?  

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38316.0.html  :shruggy:

I'm not sure... :scratchchin:

My '68 has a Cordoba engine/transmission in it. :brickwall:

TUFCAT

It's late, sorry about that mistake but you're right...!!!  The raised pad on the side of bell housing is where the vin stamping will be - on the passenger side.  

The area above the pan rail on the drivers side has the transmission part number (PK), date code, build sequence number, etc.  

TUFCAT

I dug around and discovered the partial vin stamping may not always be found in the same spot on 1968 transmissions. If the raised boss is not found on the passenger side of your trans casting (on the bell itself), look around the edge of the bell where it mounts to the engine block.  

dual fours

Wow, sitting in one spot for what, 30+ years, and the dirt and dust that has accumulated in those years, lets you think it was somewhat forgotten. Bet you find the keys in the car somewhere or hanging on a nail in the barn. Your uncle may had not needed to carry them with him after the motor was out, but would want them close by the car. :Twocents:
My keys where still in the ignition switch for 27 years.
I'm real happy you were given the Charger. I do not think any of my Nephews would be interested in my Charger.
Dang, thirty years and the antenna is not even snapped off. :2thumbs:
Welcome, Project68. Even if you think a picture of an item or a dent is not of great importance, WRONG, take lots of photo, because you can never go back to yesterday, and we like lots of good clear photos. :popcrn:     
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

8WHEELER

Interesting, no oil pressure sending unit hole  :shruggy:  I sure don't see anything.

Congrats, what a perfect way to get a complete charger. I would bet by the
date on the block it is the original 383.

Your car is the first year and month for mandatory shoulder belts as well.

Get a picture of the ID engine pad, it is just in front of the passenger side head on the block. Its
a machined surface, and should say D 383 and a few other numbers.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

8WHEELER

This is where the numbers are pressed into the bell housing area on the back of the block and trany.
Not all 383's I have seen have these numbers.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

shart70rt

Another Charger for Texas. I am in Silsbee, just N of Beaumont.
Stephen Hart
1970 Charger RT, 440, console 4-speed, Dana 60 3.54
500 Stroker, Edelbrock Heads, Edelbrock intake, dual 600 CFM Carbs,
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch setup, Passon Performance overdrive gearset in 833 18 spline 4 spd.
TTI 2 inch headers and 3 inch exhaust.
Subframe connectors
P-S-T polygraphite suspension
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
Billet Performance Serpentine Assy
reassembly in progress

workworkwork

I think they call that patina. Even cars that need a total restoration and lots of body work still go for a few thousand dollars. You'll really enjoy it when it is all done and people actually wave at you when you drive down the street or give you the thumbs up.

TXcharger70

Welcome to the site. You will find everything you need on this site. What part of San Antonio do you live? I as well live in SA 281 and tpc area.