News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Guy in San Antonio

Started by Project68, October 10, 2014, 04:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

Just read your thread.  GREAT find ... or gift I guess!  Does look really nice to start with.  I would save every bit of original metal you can.  Tony's Parts has a nice console.  I have one in my car and it fit real nice and looks correct.  If you have your radio looked at (re-done) I'd suggest Retro Radio in PA.  They went thru mine and did a conversion to FM but it also has the connections on the back for an ipod/mp3.  Very nice people to deal with.

Anyway, great car!  I'd take it to some shows with all the dust and dirt on it that's left.  Seems like all the barn finds always attract more attention than the restored cars.

TUFCAT

Project68

Quote from: Homerr on October 11, 2014, 10:55:45 AM
Cool project!  

Does it have a fender tag?  (Under hood near battery.)

Please feel free to correct anything and I'll update this:

2 = broadcast sheet printed at station 2
055275 sequence number
104052491 = shipping order (104 = Thursday January 4th, 1968 production date)
XP29H8B250216  VIN
X = Charger
P = Premium
29 = 2-door sports top
H = 383ci 4bbl
8 = 1968
B = Hamtramck, MI
250216 = sequnce number

WW1 =white
UDF B = Upper Door Frame, black
TOP 306 = black vinyl top

Trim C6X = Charger, vinyl bucket seats, black
Engine 62 = 383-4
Trans 395 = Auto, Torqueflight
Axle 404 = 3.23 open
411 = Power brakes
421 = AM radio
43 = 7.75 x 14 WSW Tires
456 = power steering
480 = dual horns
483 = front and rear bumper guards
484 = clock
486 = console
487 = cigar lighter

503 = carpeting
509 = glove box lock
515 = ashtray lamp
517 = hood mounted turn signals
521 = tinted glass
536 = remote outside mirror
535 = roof drip rail mouldings
540 = belt moldings
548 = wheel lip mouldings

564 = bucket seat w/o headrest
565 = rear armrests
584 = deep dish wheel covers
591 = 46 amp alternator
627 = 59 amp battery
624 = heavy duty suspension

647 = heavy duty 14" wheels

86 =   (vacuum fitting)
5 =    (sway bar)
47 =    (radiator)
710 =    (engine)
031 =    (trans)
237 =    (axle)
32 =    (pinion)
168 =    (wheel)
79 =    (wheel covers)
62 =    (propshaft)
779 =    (torsion bar - left)
778 =     (torsion bar - right)
211 =    (rear springs - left)
211 =    (rear springs - right)
41 =    (clutch and brake bracket)

22=    (front brake)
67 =    (shocks - front)
93 =    (shocks - rear)
62 =    (battery)
36X =    (steering column)
12X =    (steering wheel & horn ring)
15 =    (stub frame)
16 =    (engine fan)
56 =    (engine fan spacer)
90 =    (radiator inlet hose)
31 =    (radiator outlet hose)
01 =    (carburetor)
45 =    (carb. choke)
42 =    (cap idle label)
5 =    (??)
3 =    (??)

p.s.  You might also find this interesting to look at the documents available for 1968. 
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

Thanks for looking up all this info Homerr.  Do you know what the 12X steering wheel is supposed to look like?  The one I found in the trunk has three stainless steel looking spokes, woodgrain simulation and a big black center cap. 

ionracer24

Welcome to the club!  I live in selma/schertz area and i have a rebuilt steering box and some 68' tail lights, and sway bar if ur interested.   :cheers:
Real race cars have three pedals......

Dans 68

Nice to see another '68 from the San Antonio area. I picked up my '68 a few years back from your neck of the woods. Looks like you are on your way, with a '68 to boot. Can't get any finer than that.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Homerr

Quote from: Project68 on October 26, 2014, 03:21:57 PM
Thanks for looking up all this info Homerr.  Do you know what the 12X steering wheel is supposed to look like?  The one I found in the trunk has three stainless steel looking spokes, woodgrain simulation and a big black center cap.  

These are the '68 steering wheels available.  The one on the right sounds like what you've got, which is the best one to have.  I'm not finding the code 12X to link to that steering wheel, but in Mopar speak 'X' is the color code for black which would be the center.

p.s.  First 7 images link to the Charger ordering info, presumably the '573 Sports Type' / woodgrain steering wheel = 12x to the factory, whereas 'x' = color and 'X' (capitalized) = black.  
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1968-DealershipsOrderingInfo.shtml

Project68

Quote from: Homerr on November 03, 2014, 11:46:28 AM
Quote from: Project68 on October 26, 2014, 03:21:57 PM
Thanks for looking up all this info Homerr.  Do you know what the 12X steering wheel is supposed to look like?  The one I found in the trunk has three stainless steel looking spokes, woodgrain simulation and a big black center cap.  

These are the '68 steering wheels available.  The one on the right sounds like what you've got, which is the best one to have.  I'm not finding the code 12X to link to that steering wheel, but in Mopar speak 'X' is the color code for black which would be the center.

p.s.  First 7 images link to the Charger ordering info, presumably the '573 Sports Type' / woodgrain steering wheel = 12x to the factory, whereas 'x' = color and 'X' (capitalized) = black.  
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1968-DealershipsOrderingInfo.shtml

Thanks Homerr.......looks like my car came with the center steering wheel as you indicated. It makes sense based on what 12X is. The wood grain one I found was probably one my uncle had found for it and put it in the trunk. Thanks again for all your deciphering help!

Project68

Quote from: r4daytona on October 22, 2014, 10:53:12 AM
Just read your thread.  GREAT find ... or gift I guess!  Does look really nice to start with.  I would save every bit of original metal you can.  Tony's Parts has a nice console.  I have one in my car and it fit real nice and looks correct.  If you have your radio looked at (re-done) I'd suggest Retro Radio in PA.  They went thru mine and did a conversion to FM but it also has the connections on the back for an ipod/mp3.  Very nice people to deal with.

Anyway, great car!  I'd take it to some shows with all the dust and dirt on it that's left.  Seems like all the barn finds always attract more attention than the restored cars.

Thanks for the radio suggestion.  I may do it

TexasStroker

Welcome aboard...Congrats on the ride!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Project68

Hey guys,
    It has been a while since my last post and I have not been able to do any work on my Charger.  But, the time is near to start working on it.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on engine, transmission and differential rebuild shops in San Antonio.

There is a lot of work that needs to be done that I do not have the equipment for.  Does anyone have any recommendation on reputable restoration/body shops in the San Antonio area?  My thought is to have the bodywork done and then put the car back together myself.  This is my first big project so any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

John

TexasStroker

Dave in Houston does really good body work, but I'm not sure of his current status...last I knew I think he had a shop and might have gotten a Roadrunner if memory serves correct.  I'm sure others will remember and can possibly link you to his site, or contact info if he is still in the area and taking on jobs.

If you can't come up with anything closer to San Antonio, I know of a great Mopar based machine shop up here in the Amarillo area, D&L Automotive Machine & Race Engines.  Let me know if you need more info.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: Project68 on September 10, 2016, 02:04:21 PM
Hey guys,
    It has been a while since my last post and I have not been able to do any work on my Charger.  But, the time is near to start working on it.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on engine, transmission and differential rebuild shops in San Antonio.

There is a lot of work that needs to be done that I do not have the equipment for.  Does anyone have any recommendation on reputable restoration/body shops in the San Antonio area?  My thought is to have the bodywork done and then put the car back together myself.  This is my first big project so any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

John

It has been almost 20 years since I moved  to the Fort Worth area from San Antonio, so I doubt my 20 year old recommendations would do you any good.  Instead, would recommend getting in contact with the Mopar Muscle Club of San Antonio, in particular Wes Pieper, or Paul Gaspard...

http://www.moparmuscleclub-sa.org/

Do your homework, and get multiple recommendations AND written clear estimates for any planned work... my last body shop nightmare cost me $19,043.18 for practically no usable work...  a practiced liar with an "Aw Shucks" gift of gab, and I fell for it!  :icon_smile_blackeye:
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Project68

Finally started on the Charger.  Will be posting a Project Build thread.  Thanks for everyone's help on ideas and recommendations on this project and the useful information supplied.

moparstuart

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
Quote from: Project68 on September 08, 2017, 02:45:17 PM
Finally started on the Charger.  Will be posting a Project Build thread.  Thanks for everyone's help on ideas and recommendations on this project and the useful information supplied.
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Bens340

Not sure how i didnt catch this thread but im new to san antonio as well. deffinatly going to keep an eye on this thread!  :cheers:
73' charger 340 rallye

Project68

Quote from: Bens340 on September 08, 2017, 09:01:19 PM
Not sure how i didnt catch this thread but im new to san antonio as well. deffinatly going to keep an eye on this thread!  :cheers:

It is an old thread, but I am finally working on getting the car on the road so I updated it.  I have a project thread I am working on now.

RCCDrew

Bens340

73' charger 340 rallye