News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 Hits the Paint Booth

Started by 71charger_fan, October 25, 2014, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

The body work was good, paint work was bad. But, there was the factory paint, a repaint in the factory color, a plum crazy repaint, and the ivory tri-coat repaint on there. He convinced me it was best to remove all those layers and know for sure what's under the new paint. Especially since the body shop that did two of those paint jobs no longer exists, so I had no way to know what brand of paint was under there.

hemi-hampton

OK, I didn't know it had so many layers of paint. Guess I just assumed it was stripped to bare metal before Painted Pearl While. Considering all the layers probably best to Strip all that off. Good Luck. LEON.

71charger_fan

I paid the last body shop to cut out all the rust and weld in new metal. After agreeing with the current shop to that it should be stripped, this is what they found on the front fenders. I fear what may turn up on the rest of the car. Why fix it? The customer is overseas and won't know the difference, just putty over it.

hemi-hampton

Ouchhhhhh, Yeah, That is some ugly terrible hack work, Earl Scheib Special. But after working in many different Body Shops & Resto shops past 35+ years I see this type of work done by others all the time. My last Resto Shop I worked at The Boss insisted I do that type of work & boss got pissed if I tried to do a better job. This place was so bad I couldn't take it anymore & had to quite. Unfortunately lots of places like that out there. I know from Experience. LEON.

71charger_fan

Engine's finally out and the stripping of the body about to start.

71charger_fan

The car's apart for paint. There will never be a better time to just rewire the entire thing.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 71charger_fan on September 15, 2020, 02:34:24 PM
I paid the last body shop to cut out all the rust and weld in new metal. After agreeing with the current shop to that it should be stripped, this is what they found on the front fenders. I fear what may turn up on the rest of the car. Why fix it? The customer is overseas and won't know the difference, just putty over it.

Unfortunately, rust will win with old cars. Just like cancer in humans.

71charger_fan

The American Autowire kit didn't come with any provision for the concealed headlamp door wiring. So, I took a wire out of the dimmer switch plug, cut off the crimped terminal, doubled up the wire with a signal wire for the door relay and crimped on a new double terminal. I did finish the crimp after I took the photo.

71charger_fan

He's been working on door and trunk alignment and stripping paint. He got a look at the mess of mirror holes in the door, but welded up those I don't need. I've decided to leave the stainless trim off the tops of the doors, so he's welding in those holes too.

71charger_fan

Shell is pretty well stripped but remains a roller. Hood is being blocked.

71charger_fan

After seeing the driver door I knew that stripping it was the right decision.

hemi-hampton

Counting the rings I'm counting 11 layers. What was the original Color? T6? T7? or T8? LEON.

71charger_fan

It was originally GY9 Dark Gold Metallic although it looked brown to me. After an accident in the '80s it was repainted in the factory color.

71charger_fan

driver door and hood in epoxy primer

ACUDANUT

Topic: What it's like to be F@#$% by a bodyshop - Rant/warning/advice  (Read 1428 times)
According to some here. If it's not a very rare car, don't bother. Topic: What it's like to be F@#$% by a bodyshop - Rant/warning/advice  (Read 1428 times)

71charger_fan

After seeing this, I told him to just go ahead and order a quarter panel.

oldgold69

Is that blasting sand or body filler on the floor. If it's filler holy crap :shruggy:

71charger_fan

CFMopar

Subscribing to this since I'll be tackling a 71 soon too  :popcrn:
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

71charger_fan

A lot more rust has shown up that I already paid to have cut out and replaced. Now, I'm replacing both quarters. Plus, there's rust in the drip rails and windshield surround that was also supposedly repaired before. I'm thinking of having the drip rails shaved off.

70 sublime

Call your car snow ball

Where do you stop looking once you are this far ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

timmycharger

hemi-hampton

ACUDANUT

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 03, 2020, 05:32:24 PM
Quote from: timmycharger on November 03, 2020, 03:48:11 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 02, 2020, 07:44:14 PM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,138778.msg1719591.html#msg1719591

Dude, you post in riddles, what are you trying to say? You trying to tell him not to bother with a shop?

I was wondering the same thing :shruggy: :slap:

NOT AT ALL. I am all in... It's just that some members here think otherwise.