News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Delusional Charger sellers

Started by Homerr, November 09, 2014, 02:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteI have yet to hear of anyone that bought one of their Challenger bodies.

Me either.  No doubt they took a serious bath on that product.  But IMO that was predictable.  I'm not sure a Challenger shell would even outsell a '71 Cuda shell, never mind a 68-70 Charger shell.

Do shitty Challenger wrecks sell for the kinds of numbers that we see with shitty Charger wrecks (on a weekly basis)?  Do guys routinely fix a 1000-lb Challenger unibody with 500+ pounds of AMD metal, like with Chargers nowadays?

I have never understood the idea that the two cars were comparable in demand.  Challengers do sell for high numbers but the total size of the fan base is smaller.  Isn't that what we're always hearing from the repro industry all the time: "It's not the price of a used item, it's the size of the buyer pool that matters"?  

I can believe the explanations that a repro Charger shell isn't cost-effective.  But the same explanations make me wonder how in the hell they are profiting off most of their other repro unibodies.  Do you know of anyone who built anything with a Dynacorn body?  Even the bigger shops that crank out Eleanor '67 Mustang replicas by the dozen are rehabbing 50yo body shells.  If an operation like that is not using a lot of Dynacorn shells then I wonder who is.    

green69rt

:o :o :o

Still, I wish I could get that lower AC dash pad.  They seem to be pretty scarce.

spoolinhard

Quote from: green69rt on October 06, 2018, 03:13:34 PM

Still, I wish I could get that lower AC dash pad.  They seem to be pretty scarce.
Good news, you can!! $2500 is the price :cheers:

HPP

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 06, 2018, 02:50:06 AM

QuoteI have yet to hear of anyone that bought one of their Challenger bodies.

Me either.  No doubt they took a serious bath on that product.  But IMO that was predictable.  I'm not sure a Challenger shell would even outsell a '71 Cuda shell, never mind a 68-70 Charger shell.

Do shitty Challenger wrecks sell for the kinds of numbers that we see with shitty Charger wrecks (on a weekly basis)?  Do guys routinely fix a 1000-lb Challenger unibody with 500+ pounds of AMD metal, like with Chargers nowadays?

I have never understood the idea that the two cars were comparable in demand.  Challengers do sell for high numbers but the total size of the fan base is smaller.  Isn't that what we're always hearing from the repro industry all the time: "It's not the price of a used item, it's the size of the buyer pool that matters"?  

I can believe the explanations that a repro Charger shell isn't cost-effective.  But the same explanations make me wonder how in the hell they are profiting off most of their other repro unibodies.  Do you know of anyone who built anything with a Dynacorn body?  Even the bigger shops that crank out Eleanor '67 Mustang replicas by the dozen are rehabbing 50yo body shells.  If an operation like that is not using a lot of Dynacorn shells then I wonder who is.    

I suspect Dodge licensing and their desire to approve the Challenger over a Charger due to modern style equivilancy may have been a factor in this as well.

Johnp

Just a random thought but if they did repop 68-70 charger bodies I imagine those random XS bodies that are rotted out beyond repair and those random dashes and vins that pop up on eBay would find new homes with people trying to pass off RT cars as "Completly Restored" when the only restoration work that was done was the vin tag is  repainted and new Chrysler decal added  then it's  slapped on a new body! I'm sure we all feel the same way about that.. just more scammers to watch out for..  Just my 2 cents

green69rt

Quote from: spoolinhard on October 06, 2018, 03:44:39 PM

Still, I wish I could get that lower AC dash pad.  They seem to be pretty scarce.

Yeah, but what am I going to do with the rest of the trash?

Homerr

Quote from: green69rt on October 07, 2018, 08:04:12 AM

Offer $100 just for the pads, who knows, he might go for it.  Not like them missing would be a deal killer for anyone looking at that scrap metal.

Mike DC

QuoteJust a random thought but if they did repop 68-70 charger bodies I imagine those random XS bodies that are rotted out beyond repair and those random dashes and vins that pop up on eBay would find new homes with people trying to pass off RT cars as "Completly Restored" when the only restoration work that was done was the vin tag is  repainted and new Chrysler decal added  then it's  slapped on a new body! I'm sure we all feel the same way about that.. just more scammers to watch out for..  Just my 2 cents

VIN fraud is easy enough just using 50yo original 318 cars.  It's been going on for 25+ years now.  I don't see new body shells making it way more common.

Besides, IMO there will never be a repro body shell that isn't detectable if you know where to look.  The industry can hardly reproduce a single part that doesn't have some difference on it somewhere.   

Kern Dog

Quote from: Johnp on October 07, 2018, 06:13:27 AM
Just a random thought but if they did repop 68-70 charger bodies I imagine those random XS bodies that are rotted out beyond repair and those random dashes and vins that pop up on eBay would find new homes with people trying to pass off RT cars as "Completly Restored" when the only restoration work that was done was the vin tag is  repainted and new Chrysler decal added  then it's  slapped on a new body! I'm sure we all feel the same way about that.. just more scammers to watch out for..  Just my 2 cents

Maybe.
Another way to see it is that the replacement body might be a better quality structure as compared to an original car that has been rusted, hacked and rebuilt without accurate jigs. One can be off a few millimeters here and there and still get the gaps right by cutting a trunklid edge, a door edge, etc. The changes may only get noticed when trying to replace a door later to find that it does not fit a stock opening.
I don't know how I feel about replacement bodies. I love the idea of fresh metal and an unmolested structure, also being the first owner. I also relish the thought of bringing a car back from total neglect.

Charger-Bodie

1970 stuff won't work on yours anyway.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

green69rt

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on October 07, 2018, 12:23:17 PM

1970 stuff won't work on yours anyway.

Oh yeah, didn't notice the 70 tag, doesn't have the ignition key hole.

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

ACUDANUT

Come on man, it's only a quarter of a million dollars.  :nana:

sdweatherman

Gotta love the optimism of this seller. Yeah, it could be done, but whoa momma what a job and not much of the original car would be left. :smilielol:
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

5hunert

Quote from: C500 on October 07, 2018, 09:32:17 PM
Here's a nice GL at a real steal https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/dodge/auction-1783953170.htm  :brickwall: Price is in NZD, approx $166k USD

Maybe he can swap it for two $80,000 NZD slant six Darts?

alfaitalia

People really pay near to $300k to have one of those built? Some people must have more $100 bills than brain cells!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Challenger340

Here's a real beauty... only $18,000.00 Cnd   Price Firm - Not Negociable - No Trades - As is - Where is.
Serious buyers only, please feel free to ask any questions.
"Test your restoration skills on this 50 year old 1968 Dodge Charger from Michigan"
"undercarriage all rotted, has new rear frame, car needs complete front frame-body work: all floors/ rockers/ inner fender
panels...etc all rotted, need replacement/work"
"Easier, faster and cheaper fix option would be in my opinion using a donor front clip/roller chassis off any other 66-70 2 or 4-door b-body, it would solve the rott by more than 3/4 of the project"

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/ville-de-montreal/1968-dodge-charger-restoration-project-complete-nos-matching/1367796534?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Only wimps wear Bowties !

darbgnik

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

ACUDANUT

My 72 Rallye, has A Big Block and hidaway headlights  :cheers:  I am going to ask 30K