News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Operation V2 Daytona: Update 01/10/2015 Engine reinstallation

Started by hemi68charger, November 10, 2014, 07:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Operation V2 Daytona:
This may look familiar, the Daytona is pointing outward, in preparation for engine REMOVAL !!!
As you can see in the picture, this is what came out of the oil pan.... Sooooo, since it leaked while sitting, I don't feel comfortable with a Blue Devil or Bar's leak fix treatment.. Soooo, out it comes... The red stuff is residual tranny fluid in the pan... Apparently 426 Hemis are notorious for headbolt #5... After my heart came back from my stomach, I just called around and well, I am going the sure way, head gasket replacement.. So, with the help of some friends, we pushed the Daytona out into the driveway and "three-point" turned her so her snout would be facing the other way in the garage. I'll not try to remove the heads while the motor's in the car. There's too much risk of messing up the paint on the car. Plus, it is hard as heck trying to work over those fenders with the scoop and Lord knows I can't reach over that nose..... So, the drivertrain assembly will come out the same way it went in, from the bottom. Then, I'll take the motor to a trusted speed shop and have them replace the head gaskets and pressure test the sucker.......I can't believe I'm making a folder for my pictures entitled ( Engine_Removal )... The silver lining is I discovered this before I fired it up to check the transmission I just put in the car. So, the motor never ran with this water-laced oil........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

Hey Troy, I will trade you a running driving numbers matching 500 for the non running daytona.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on November 10, 2014, 07:59:04 AM
Hey Troy, I will trade you a running driving numbers matching 500 for the non running daytona.

Chip off the ole' block there Danny.. I applaud you....... But, I'll have to pass on the "Danny-trade"........  ;D
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Dave Kanofsky

Sorry for your troubles, although glad you found it before any damage was done... :icon_smile_sad:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Mytur Binsdirti

73rallye440magnum

Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

held1823

bummer. no better time to find it, though.

the race is on for the first one to move under its own power,  troy versus stuart. 

my money is on troy
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi68charger

Quote from: held1823 on November 10, 2014, 11:18:40 AM
bummer. no better time to find it, though.

the race is on for the first one to move under its own power,  troy versus stuart. 

my money is on troy

Stu? Guess I've forgotten or missed it........ What happened?

Troy

Homerr

I started reading and was curious if the 426 was going in your new surprise, and the 440 back in the Daytona.  Bummer to hear about the leaks!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Homerr on November 10, 2014, 11:51:03 AM
I started reading and was curious if the 426 was going in your new surprise, and the 440 back in the Daytona.  Bummer to hear about the leaks!

Nope, the 426 Hemi has a green-card for the Daytona, it is a permanent-resident. It just needs to go to the doctor. The other car will have its own mill............
Troy

tan top

oh Crikey , bummer  :brickwall:   , sorry to see this  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stevearino

Looks like you got lucky not firing her up. Not so lucky having to pull it out again but better that this all happened at home and not on a road trip. :rotz:

white

Since I have never owned or worked on a 426 hemi let me see if I understand what is going on. A head gasket failure caused radiator fluid to find its way to the oil pan because the radiator is higher than the motor correct? If so is this something that is common to a 426 hemi?  Thank for any education. Hope all is well Troy.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

70Sbird

That sux,
Sorry to hear about that Troy, I suppose as someone said earlier if it was going to happen, better it be in you garage on you timeschedule than three states away on a roadtrip.
Keep us updated on your findings
Scott

Scott Faulkner

maxwellwedge

Quote from: white on November 10, 2014, 08:27:19 PM
Since I have never owned or worked on a 426 hemi let me see if I understand what is going on. A head gasket failure caused radiator fluid to find its way to the oil pan because the radiator is higher than the motor correct? If so is this something that is common to a 426 hemi?  Thank for any education. Hope all is well Troy.

The head gasket also seals the water jackets that transfer water from the heads to block.....if they blow next to one of those passages water will blow out into the engine.....on any engine...not just a Hemi.

moparchris

Sorry to hear about this Troy.  I went through similar issues with the hemi in my 68 Charger.  Turned out the valve spring seats were machined to low and under high valve spring pressure a pin hole crack happened and I was leaking oil into the coolant channel that runs through the heads.  Drove me crazy lifting those darn heads in and out of the car.  I finally went with a set of aluminum heads.  Lots easier to lift.  My back feels your pain...
Hang in there.  When you re motoring down the road it will all seem worth it.

Ghoste

What is it about the number five head bolt that makes it notorious for leaks?

hemi68charger

Getting the ole girl ready for drivetrain removal. The silver lining is the '68/69 Hemi oil pan. If it wasn't for the fact I ordered this to make the motor more OEM correct, I would have never drained the oil, hence discovering the problem prior to testing the tranny...
Troy

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

hemi68charger

Whew.... Long day..
I have the feeling of Deja Vu....
Well, thanks to my friend Dave P.I got the Hemi out of the Daytona today.. Will take it to another friend who's been building Hemi's since these things were new..

Troy

1RareBird

When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

73rallye440magnum

Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is the Hemi door emblem present in some pictures and absent in others?
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

hemi68charger

Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on December 05, 2014, 08:28:23 PM
Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is the Hemi door emblem present in some pictures and absent in others?

Where's Waldo !!!!! ?? Did that on purpose....
Troy